“A lovely hotel”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Kent, United Kingdom
“A lovely hotel”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from 6 nights at this hotel.
The staff very friendly and accommodating The room was very nice. We had a Superior room. The beds very comfy. Only one gripe with the room and that is the noisy extractor fan that comes on each time you turn on the light. This is torture in the night.
The main issue we had was breakfast. The first two mornings were ok albeit we chose small amount and this was served on a large plate and looked lost. The poached egg was divine.
However after that they deteriorated. I had to return my breakfast as the egg and the sausage were badly under cooked having had a long wait anyway. I had to wait again for replacement. This was slightly better but not great.
Another morning breakfast was ordered and after no sign of it after 30 minutes we left.
One day we cancelled breakfast and went into town for it.
Clearly there was a problem in the kitchen and the manger was addressing it as he explained to us as we were leaving to come home.
He was appreciative that I had raised it but of course I don't expect to go to a well reputed hotel as this and be disappointed by a low standard of breakfast or any aspect of catering.
Especially as it was for my 60th birthday.

Room Tip: we had a superior room. Beds very comfy. Room overlooked car park. Not an issue. We did find the bat...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul R, Managing Director at Le Friquet Country Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Tappy 19, thank you for taking the time to review your six night birthday celebration stay with us and for your positive comments on our Staff and your bedroom.
You did the right thing in bringing your thoughts on Breakfast to our attention whilst you were here and I am sorry we did not live up to expectations.
Unlike many Hotels we still offer a full service Breakfast which means all food is cooked to order, some of our Guests opting to have home made Porridge with Guernsey Cream before the Cooked Breakfast or to sample our Continental style Buffet which includes freshly baked Croissants,Pain au Chocolate, cold meats and cheese, fruit and natural yoghurt, fresh whole fruit and fresh fruit salads and of course Cereals.
We did try to address your comments at the time they occurred including replacing the sausage and egg with a further cooked Breakfast and deducting four Breakfasts from your bill on departure.
The bathroom fan, in common with all Hotels, remains on for a short period of time after use.We can turn it off or adjust it if you request us to whilst you are here.
Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I booked a double room for 6 nights at Le Friquet and we were upgraded to an apartment which was a great bonus. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens with a heated swimming pool and a very nice terrace to sit out and have a drink. We opted for the three course evening meal and we weren't disappointed. The portions are a good size and plenty of variety on the menu, including fresh fish.
The staff were very helpful and very knowledgeable about the island and traveling on the buses. It only cost £1 per trip anywhere on the island. We would recommend the hotel and are certainly going returning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul R, Managing Director at Le Friquet Country Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Ken, its great to read you enjoyed your six night stay here and that you were happy with the upgraded bedroom. Your comments matter to me and my team, so "thank you" and we look forward to your return.
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and could not fault it. The staff were very freindly and nothing was to much trouble. The room we had was on the second floor overlooking the entrance, but this did not affect our stay. Yes the hotel is on a busy road, but it did not affect our sleep, even with the window open. Our room/bathroom was of adequate size for our stay and was very comfortable and clean. We ate at the hotel and had a lovely meal, as was the breakfast. The terrace and garden was a delight, just to sit and relax with a drink and so was the outdoor pool. Both myself and my mum would definately stay at this hotel again as it met all our requirements to enjoy a lovely holiday in Guernsey. From the two ladies from North Devon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Paul R, Managing Director at Le Friquet Country Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hi Kath, I'm really pleased you and your Mother enjoyed your four night stay with us. Your comments are important to us and to our potential Guests who read them. Thank you "two ladies from North Devon!"
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and I booked two single rooms at Le Friquet. It's set in beautiful gardens with a very nice terrace to sit out and have a drink on a nice evening. We opted for the three course meal on the day we arrived and we weren't disappointed. Although the portions weren't big, there was plenty to satisfy the heartiest appetite and it was delicious too. We were dealt with very quickly on arrival by a lovely young lady who was very helpful with directions and things to see etc. In fact, all the staff that we encountered couldn't have been more helpful and were all prepared to go the extra mile for our comfort.
Unfortunately, on our second day, I had a bad fall and ended up in hospital with two broken ankles, so I didn't get to experience the hotel after that. My friend was very well looked after, however, with staff making her delicious sandwiches when she arrived back at the hotel very late on the day I had the accident. Staff and guests alike made a point of speaking to her and asking after me, so she didn't feel too alone for the rest of her stay. If I ever come back to Guernsey, I will certainly make a point of staying at Le Friquet again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Grannydoo
Dear Grannydoo, we were all genuinely concerned for your friend when she had her accident and its good to know that my staff went out of their way to look after you both. Your praise for both the food and the service is clearly heart felt and we really do appreciate it. Thank you and we hope to see you both under better circumstances next time.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in this excellent hotel. Food was very good and staff very professional and friendly. Little bit disappointed at the size of the room - looked a lot bigger in pictures online but was clean and comfortable. Bathroom was quite small and basin was located behind the door, which meant banging the door on the basin unless you remembered! Very creaky wardrobe (maybe a touch of WD40?) and we had noise from the room next door which was obviously the utility room for the cleaners (noise from tumble dryer went on for hours one day). On the plus side the breakfast was very good as were the meals. Very busy on our last evening in the restaurant so service was not quite so good but on the whole a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Room 16 is the one next to the utility room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Carole, thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor and for decribing us as "excellent"! I am really sorry to read you heard noise from the room next door which is used by the Housekeeper in the morning ( never in the evening). I have spoken to her about use of a small domestic Drier which I believe may have been the cause of the noise you refer to and we will not allow this to happen again. I have fixed the wardrobe door as you suggested, thank you!
kent
Reviewed 27 June 2014

found this hotel on Guernsey wanted something special for my seventy birthday we were not disappointed at all with this hotel the service was excellent could not fault anything about it this is the best hotel we have ever stay at of yet, it will hard to find something better

Room Tip: all rooms are comfortable but if you want extra luxury go for a supper king
1 Thank viclizKent
Hi Vicliz, Thank you for choosing us to celebrate your 70th Birthday and for taking the trouble to review us on Trip Advisor. I am really pleased it all went so well and will pass on your comments to my staff.
Havant, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We booked this hotel for a short break in Guernsey based on Trip Advisor reports and were not dissapointed. Le Friquet is an easy drive from the airport ( we had a hire car which was well worth having). It is set in very well maintained gardens and has a very good, warm pool !!
The room was fine, not huge, but very clean and comfortable. We ate out once but decided that the hotel's restaurant offered a very good choice of food and wine... It also saved driving !!
All the staff are clearly very well trained and take care to ensure that guests have the best possible experience
I would recommend Le Friquet to any one visiting this lovely island

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul R, Managing Director at Le Friquet Country Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Frank and Margaret, thank you for providing such a positive review. It really does matter to us as we understand you have choice of where to stay and Trip Advisor reviews are very useful when making the decision. Hope to see you both soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
La Barbarie Hotel
Cobo Bay Hotel
Cobo Bay Hotel
#3 of 6 in Castel
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Le Friquet Country Hotel? Share your experiences!