“Great ambiance, really good food and wine list, attentive staff”

Fleur du Jardin Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great ambiance, really good food and wine list, attentive staff”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Had the good fortune to revisit this great restaurant. When you are in Guernsey you really are spoilt for choice as to where to eat out - there are so many good places to visit.

I stayed here on a family holiday in 1968! I was here earlier this year and it was easy to say yes when my host suggested it for another visit to their restaurant. The ambiance is great - olde worlde pub but with a menu and wine list bang up to date. Get seated before 7:30 and you're offered a cheaper menu - with no scrimping on quality or size.

I don't normally do desserts - but I can thoroughly recommend the sticky toffee pudding which is light and wonderfully caramelly!

I hope the next time I visit will make it three in a row!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Swanage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Friendly and helpful staff. Disappointed in our room/bathroom - in need of an update and overlooking the busy narrow road, but the break was good value and the location of the hotel is great. Unnecessary four poster...prefer good lighting please. Good Tennerfest menu apart from catering pack icecream claiming to be "Guernsey ice cream" - it can't be!! Try the kiosk at Portelet. Nice cosy pub atmosphere for a winter break. Tea making facilities always a plus.

Room Tip: Avoid the front because of road noise and noise coming up from the bar area.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GeoffreyJane
UK
Reviewed 1 November 2013

In truth I felt compelled to write this review more because of what other people have written than anything else.

I am from guernsey originally but stayed here in October while attending a family "event". We had a room in the loft. Beautiful view of west coast out the back picture window over the gardens. Yes there is some noise from the road but by and large by bed time traffic is minimal in guernsey so not really an issue (our room was double aspect so we had both).

So, to balance previous posts:

We did have a square sink in our wet room - not a deal breaker for me personally, and I wouldn't normally comment on it, but the amazing shower was fab and bed comfy, and the complimentary toiletries surprisingly high quality. Room was beautifully clean / well equipped and tea making facilities v welcome.

The cheeseboard is of Guernsey artisan cheeses. (To say Guernsey cheese has come a long way believe me is an understatement. It used to be one type only, bright yellow, sweat salt water, and smell like your worst nightmare!) My husband had it at the end of his meal instead of dessert and struggled to finish. We've paid twice the amount in London for less - guess it's where you're used to going.

We didn't have curtains either but with bespoke shutters you don't really need them. Then again perhaps I'm bias as have shutters at home too. The great thing about them though is that, being cafe style you can leave the bottom part closed for privacy but the top open for light / the view.

I would call it a boutique hotel, should you be staying there, with a gastropub downstairs if you're eating. Not sure why it has to be one or the other and a bad thing to be undecided, but perhaps that's just me.

Breakfast was lovely with a huge amount of choice and you could select whatever options you wanted if you didn't want full English. Full marks as well for teapot AND coffee pot so I got to have regular top ups too that stayed hot. And neither pot dribbled!

We really enjoyed our stay / refuge. My only regret was I didn't have time to have any treatments in the beauty salon in the grounds but a nice extra facility to have on-site. Staff were at times a little thin on the ground but were a super helpful, friendly and polite bunch. The only "problem" we had was reliably accessing the wifi, but that is Guernsey for you, not the Fleur per se. And sometimes it's nice to be legitimately unable to access work emails!! We appreciated all the free newspapers downstairs too, and the in-keeping design downstairs of this beautiful old Guernsey building, which allowed a quiet drink even if the main bar area was busy.

We got a deal via "Guernsey Treats" website - do check out if you are visiting Guernsey as they have lots of meal offers etc too, although eating out in Guernsey remains fantastic value, even our side of Tennerfest.

And yes, I agree with your statement by your tripadvisor certificate...

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the gardens would be quieter if you need an early night, and if you're lucky w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

A great like place with friendly staff. Tennerfest menu was good and their standard restaurant menu wasn't bad either. Quality of food was excellent as was their selection of wines. We stayed for a week in the garden room (recently refurbished) which was well appointed, decent powerful shower, large bath. We'll worth a visit!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leerdd
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Bit disappointed with place compared to advertisement . By a noises road early morning and evening . The rooms do NOT have square basin etc. We did have a 4 poster bed BUT NO drapes . Not made the most of it. Downstairs is very nice as split it into small areas. The staff were busy as had to do more than one job. If you have a meal DON'T have Cheese Board , as the size is ok for a child and it's pricey @ £6:75. When you go for your breakfast , you have to ask for baked beans. Other wise the cooked menu is very dry. I tried various combination before we asked if they did beans. The pool is poor. But in general it was ok. The staff made it a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Im a 'Guern' and just happened to be mooching on Google for possible wedding venues here, in Guernsey. I don't believe your hotel does offer this service as I can't find any info on Weddings. Although I thought I'd take this opportunity to say I have been here on a couple of occasions and never had an issue. Food and service were fine. Hotel is lovely with its Rustic Guernsey charm.
Note to the 'Manager' ... Your feedback to people that gave bad reviews are not what I would call proffessional! Having a banter with visitors to our Island isn't, well, good. I find your childish and somewhat a little sarcastic replies to bad reviews appallling. I think a little more 'Manager' like comments would be better.....
Customer may, and most likely be wrong or exaggerating. Possibly your hotel was having a crap day but the customer is always right!
Note: a comment to the people who did enjoy their stay would be nice :)

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank TrueGuern
Bermuda
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in August. It is in one of the nicest parts of Guernsey, right on the bus route. It is a quiet area though, if you are looking for a lot of night life. It is extremely easy to get anywhere from the hotel without needing a car. We got a family bus pass and used it to travel all over the island. Our room was comfortable and nicely decorated. The food was good. In fact we ate there every night because it was a pleasant place to hang out. We walked through the ruettes tranquilles (walker friendly) little lanes to the coast. It was an easy walk and difficult to get lost. The tourist map has all the little lanes on it so it is all you need. We had excellent service from the managers, and all the young servers were always friendly and polite. Good breakfasts. One evening a trio of musicians was practicing their folk music, which was great fun to listen to. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BdaBelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Le Friquet Country Hotel
Les Douvres Hotel
Les Douvres Hotel
#4 of 9 in St Martins

Been to Fleur du Jardin Hotel? Share your experiences!