“Excellent Hotel”

Hotel Hougue du Pommier
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed 17th - 23rd June. Loved the friendly, helpful staff. Good food and excellent service. Needed a room with more space and this was sorted out for us. All in all a great place to stay. Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth B

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here for a week. I agree with points other reviewers made in that the rooms were comfortable and that staff, particularly the girls at reception were extremely friendly and helpful.
Breakfasts were good quality but the one evening meal we had was bland and tasteless ( two different starters and mains), so we didn't eat there any other evening.
Rooms, although comfortable are in sore need of re-decoration although I appreciate there are currently efforts to invest in the hotel such as new glazing etc.
The hot water in the room was absolutely scalding and I regret not mentioning it before we checked out as it is dangerous in my view.
During our stay we had no contact with the manager, however, a previous reviewer, Mark b recounted words that were exchanged between the manager, Malcolm and him, my partner and I witnessed this exchange and both thought that the way Malcolm spoke to a customer as if he was a naughty schoolboy was demeaning and insulting in the extreme.
If Malcolm had a point to make to someone he should have had the decency to speak to the man in private, not berate him in front of a lobby full of guests.
The fact that Malcolm didn't even have the excuse that he lost his temper somehow made the event worse as he was completely calm when he ripped the customer up for shreds-a rude, unpleasant man who should look to his employees for an example of good customer relations!

3  Thank SteveHGlasgow
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I send my clients to this hotel on a regular basis .. The feedback I receive is always very good.. I would not endorse this hotel unless the quality was assured . I have dealt with their general manager on many occasion he is always polite and trustworthy.. I say bravo to Mr Malcolm Davies and his staff that produce a great product.. I would not hesitate myself to stay there.. I recommend this hotel to my many business contacts and close friends. Thanks again.
Dieter Meijer Buschbaum..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Dieter B
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel receptionist was very welcoming when we arrived. The rooms are a good size and the beds enormous, decor a bit dated, but still comfortable and with all we needed. The rear garden has tables and chairs and a very relaxing atmosphere, as did the bar area. Food was good, although some meals a good generous size (fish and chips, and pizza, were perfect) and others a bit too small (such as the beautifully cooked chicken but limited amount of veg (only one broccoli floret, small amount of beans and four pieces of swede) and the cheese and biscuits was tasty but too small for the cost). Breakfast was wonderful, service very good. Only 10 min walk to Cobo Bay and bus stop virtually outside the hotel was convenient.

2  Thank N R
Reviewed 17 June 2014

well trained staff and well run hotel..nicely decorated about 15/20 years ago..rooms were fine..breakfasts were good..evening meals were good but didnt expect cheeseboard or coffee or mints to be at extra cost!..
Now then,the manager..i spoke to him during our stay and found him okay..on our last day i didnt eat much at breakfast and the waiter took my plate away..when we checked out the manager said to me that i shouldnt of stacked my plate and that it was a waste!!!!!!!..true maybe,and i said sorry,but i didnt expect to hear that!!..his way of making a point of what he doesnt like comes accross as arrogant and should think before he opens his mouth..shame really..nice bloke otherwise..but will say something wrong to an aggresive man one day

2  Thank mark b
Reviewed 11 June 2014

His Nibs and I have just returned home from a week's holiday to celebrate our 40 years of marriage and could not have chosen a prettier, relaxing and memorable location' The hotel can boast welcoming, quite charming surroundings and offering excellent service. The attentive staff could not have done more to contribute to our comfort and enjoyment whilst we were there. I beg to differ with a previous review criticising the Manager's attitude towards his staff. He is obviously dedicated to the efficient operation of the hotel and thinks highly of his extremely hardworking and supportive staff. The food was always appetising and a varied choice was available - we certainly enjoyed our Full English Breakfasts every day, which were piping hot and regularly replenished for the guests enjoyment. No complaints whatsover, and I /we sincerely hope that the hotel retains its current, unspoilt ambience. We shall certainly return in the future without a doubt. Many thanks to Malcolm and his team! Well Done!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet as the hotel is situated in extensive grounds with adequate car parking. Al...
1  Thank Liz H
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for one night this week on business. I think I was half the age of the other guests but that was not a major issue. If you are elderly this may not be the place for you as it has no lift and I saw a few people struggle with the stairs and steps everywhere. They do offer to help with bags but if you have difficulty walking then think it through. Room was OK, TV was tiny, sash windows were broken and only partly closed. Not too bad as I have the window open anyway to let air in when I sleep. No fan in the bathroom though and so when I had a shower the steam seemed to linger all night making it stuffy. Food was good and service was good. Everyone was very polite. The building work on outside does make it look like a building site. I did not see any work actually being done there. If you want a romantic location for a wedding then this might not be ideal. Beach is 10 min walk from hotel although there are few pavements if any and you do have to be careful. Taxis are in limited supply so you cannot rely on them being available all of the time. Its just a bit too far from the action for me. I like it a bit more lively. Having said that I did have a very quiet night and slept well.

Room Tip: I had room 15 - it was OK but nothing special. Rain dripping off the roof onto conservatory all nigh...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
Best Western Hotel De Havelet
2 mi away
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
#3 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Hotel Hougue du Pommier? Share your experiences!