“Not impressed to be honest” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Hougue du Pommier

Hotel Hougue du Pommier
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Castel
England
“Not impressed to be honest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2007

I've recently returned from a stay at Hougue du Pommier and thought I'd add a quick review, particularly at this isn't the first time I've stayed so can do a frank comparison.

The first thing that suprised me was that I was able, like other reviewers, to book on short notice. This hotel used to be packed to the rafters and you had to book many months in advance ~ particularly for the popular summer months. The fact that rooms were available should perhaps have been a small warning sign that things aren't what they used to be!

The room itself was pleasant enough and most importantly clean. The food from both bar and restuarant was good although the choice seemed to be fixed for a month ~ okay I suppose for a long weekend but would be repetitive over a longer stay. There was 1 vegetarian dish available across all menus available. A previous reviewer stated that virtually everything in the bar came with chips which is pretty close to the mark ~ I think there were two risotto type offerings if you didn't like chips.

The staff were friendly. The (new) manager was incredibly rude to both his own staff and in his dismissive manner towards guests. The reception was often unmanned.

The hotel enjoys a lovely location close to Cobo beach which is one of the main reasons for staying. It is a good base to explore the islands and is also on one of the bus routes if you don't drive. Unfortunately though the food and manager experiences would put me off revisiting.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

We stayed here for a night prior to an Alderney and Sark holiday. I must say that I was expecting more, after viewing the hotel website. We booked the sundeck patio room, for a supplement as we wanted our first night in Guernsey to be special. It has potential, but... I was not impressed to see cigarette butts strewn over the decking, or the dead plant in the pot, or the weeds. The quietness was lovely though. The minibar was dirty, there was a lipstick stain on one of the glasses and there were no towels in the bathroom, which was shabby. The bed consisted of 2 singles, attached together, but was comfortable enough. The bar food was nice and the staff were friendly as we ate that night. The breakfast was ok too. I feel the hotel was overly priced for the standard of accommodation.

• Liked — The view from the room
  • Disliked — Dirty and shabby patio area
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Castel hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2007

Sometimes you just get lucky. We booked our stay at this hotel quite late and, to be frank, there wasn’t a great deal of choice. We didn’t really know what to expect and, I’m the first to admit that, I can be a bit picky. I’m glad I didn’t read some of the reviews published here or I might have been approaching our holiday in entirely the wrong spirit. In our opinion the hotel deserves its three star rating. There wasn’t a hint of dust. I’m allergic and I would have detected it! The beds were made properly each day and the room was always cleaned to a professional standard.

The welcome when we arrived was warm and personal and we were treated with respect and friendship throughout our stay. The food, as many have already remarked, was first class. The menu was extensive and a portion of it was changing regularly. Yes, the service was slower than you might expect in many restaurants but this is because each meal was individually prepared. In our view it was always worth it. We ate in the bar every night and chips seldom featured in our choices. When they did they were beautiful home cooked chips!

We simply don’t recognise the description of the “new manager” either. As far as we could see the new owners are both personable, attentive and justly proud of their staff. All of the staff were friendly and appeared to be happy working there. They were all working hard but we never had the impression that there were too few of them.

This is a gentle place in beautiful surroundings. There is something intangible about it; we felt at home straight away. If you want a relaxing holiday with really excellent food and a friendly atmosphere you will not be disappointed. We and our two children will be booking again. Soon.

• Liked — Friendly, relaxed, comfortable, good food
  • Disliked — Internet (wifi) only available in Reception/conservatory
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LondonVideoMan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
Cobo Bay Hotel
#1 of 19 in St Peter Port
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
#3 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Hotel Hougue du Pommier? Share your experiences!