La Grande Mare
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Driftwood Inn Hotel(Saint Saviour)
View Hotel
The Farmhouse Hotel(Saint Saviour)
View Hotel
Abbey Court Hotel(St Peter Port)
View Hotel
All reviewsgolf courseindoor poolwedding receptionafternoon teastudio roomwedding partygolf clubhealth suitethe penthouseovernight stayround of golfdriving rangehealth clubself catering apartmentfour poster bedfirst classleisure facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I recently held our wedding reception at La Grande Mare, and we chose the hotel because of it's stunning location by the sea, and it's backdrop against an 18 hole golf course with great rural views. The service was first class, and the food was truly excellent in quality, and above all the attention to detail was second to none. My mother held her 80th birthday party at the hotel in October 2011, and that was also very good indeed, which prompted us to seek out the hotel for our reception. We were lucky enough to have a junior suite as part of our wedding package but the room was more like an apartment it was so big with excellent facilities. The bathroom was enormous, and one could tell it had recently been refurbished with top quality materials. Going back to the food again; there was plenty of it, it was piping hot, and extremely tasty! No bland dishes here. The restaurant service was very professional. Outside the grounds are immaculately kept, and the swimming pool area very tidy and clean. The hotel is great for families as well as couples. Although we live in Guernsey, it really felt like we were on holiday! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Mr L it was a pleasure and honour for us to host your reception.
You make a lovely couple and the guests were a delight.
The Hotel and our team looks forward to greeting you back whether for anniversary,birthday
or indeed christenings romantic meal or just a lovely summer cocktail !

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I never normally write on here, but for this i thought i had too. My Husband and I live in Guernsey and have just had our wedding reception here. It was the perfect location. Warmly welcomed every time both pre wedding meetings and on our special day, by friendly and very helpful staff. Obviously it goes without saying that the function manager was extremely dedicated in helping to make our day so perfect. Modern, spotless interior in and around the hotel. Well maintained. I believe they have recently renovated many of the bedrooms as-well. Food was faultless, service was excellent! Nothing was too much bother. Beautiful setting within golfing grounds with the beach across the road. Lovely clean outdoor pool/Jacuzzi with sunbeds. We had a mini suite over looking the pool area. Large comfortable bed and sofa. Tv, ipod station and free wifi. Daily island news paper delivered each day. Cold bottled water stocked in our fridge. Tea, coffee facilities. Large white fluffy towels, bathrobes and slippers also included. Lots of complementary toiletries. Very homely feel. Great breakfast spread including freshly cooked traditional breakfast made to order to your choice. I have often eaten here for certain occasions but its the first time i have stayed overnight. I certainly will again. Unfortunately we didn't get to use the spa but this will give us a great opportunity to stay over again one day. I haven't got a bad word to say about this hotel. Many thanks for a great memory! :D

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

ear Kimmono707
Thank you for choosing La Grande Mare to host your wedding reception.My team and I are delighted to hear how much you and all your guests enjoyed the day so much.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Spent three days and two nights there....

Warmly welcomed and directed to the apartment. Spacious, clean, comfortable, cosy signatured robe with all the trimmings of eco friendly toiletries....

Staff were friendly, professional, helpful, yet quietly discreet. A special mention goes to the lady serving breakfast and the gentleman who took time to explain unfamilair dishes on the menu.

Cost effective, good quality menu and excellent service. However, hearty breakfast was a pleasant surprise. Yummy!

I will most definetly be returning....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Dear Salo D
Great to hear how much you enjoyed your short break with us in Guernsey at La Grande Mare Hotel and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Although I live in Guernsey I was going to a finance industry dinner at the hotel and decided to stay the night so I could enjoy the evening and avoid the taxi scrum.

I had booked a ground floor studio room and was surprised they did not offer me a special rate because of the dinner but took the room anyway.

Check in was OK although there was a lengthy form to fill in and they wanted my address ( I had already provided this by email), telephone number and everything but my inside leg measurement.

I asked where the room was and the receptionist pointed in the general direction of what seemed to be the bar but eventually I found the room. No offer of help with my bags.

The studio room was huge with a lounge area, large bed, kitchen, fridge with water, microwave and a good range of teas and coffees.

The bathroom was very large BUT surprisingly despite its size there was no separate shower cubicle only a dribbling shower over the bath. the shower screen failed to stop water running down the side of the bath and flooding the bathroom.

Also the towel rail was in one corner of the bathroom and the bath in the opposite corner and there was nowhere to put your towel whilst showering. this meant getting the floor even wetter when retrieving the towel after showering.

There were two plump dressing gowns BUT unfortunately both had make up on the collars and had obviously not been cleaned from the previous guests.

The bed was very comfortable and I got an excellent nights sleep.

I also noted that there was only a small mirror above the wash basin and no full length mirror which i am sure ladies would find both unusual and frustrating.

Breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice and a very good full english. The service at breakfast was excellent.

Overall good value but need to put right the niggling problems and put a full size mirror in the room.

Room Tip: Make sure the towels and dressing gowns are clean
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GGGSarnia
Simon V, Manager at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thank you for your comments-I was delighted to hear you had a great meal and a good nights sleep in the super king size bed.
I must apologize for the bathroom being too large and we have noted your suggestions.
Look forward to welcoming you back and assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I have just completed a two night stay at this hotel. What can I say…? I am a frequent business traveller, with a fairly simple set of requirements. Comfort, cleanliness, location, connectivity & food.

Comfort
I got a ground floor studio room which was in all fairness massive. The bed was vast, in fact I’m certain I have stayed in hotel rooms smaller than this bed. The room was very well equipped with all the usual’s that you would expect, but also had a full size fridge stocked & replenished with water. I had a kitchenette & a microwave. So not quite an apartment, but much more than a hotel room. Bathroom was well stocked with fancy toiletries, and hot water was in plentiful supply. A nice touch – the clock radio was also an iPod dock, which is fine, but it was also a Bose Wave radio, which was excellent. Slippers & robe – check. All I need now is my pipe.

Cleanliness.
Simply spotless and not just the rooms either, the bar, lobby – all areas were squeaky clean.

Location.
Well, it is Guernsey,so you can't have everything, however you are never too far away from anywhere, the beach is just over the road & St. Peter Port is only a short drive or bus ride away. Bus stop is right outside the hotel.

Connectivity.
Whilst not the fastest wifi, it does the job just fine. And it is free. Bravo La Grande Mare, I just wish more UK hotels offered this service for free as it is becoming more & more a requirement.

Food.
Excellent restaurant, I had both Fillet steak & Lobster (on different nights) and they were both excellent. I also have to say, considering this hotel is in Guernsey the food & drink was very reasonably priced. Both the mains listed above cam in at around £15.oo each and you can get a pint of lager for under £3.00 – something I have never found repeated on Guernsey. But I saved the best until last… Breakfast. No buffet here, no food sitting around on warming plates. A proper, hot, fresh cooked traditional breakfast. Perfectly cooked each time.

A slight hiccup with the bill was speedily rectified. I will definitely book La Grande Mare for my next trip.

The title really does say it all.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank eebeegeebees

Wow ! What a great review.It was a pleasure to read and I can assure you I have taken note of your comments and shared them all with my team.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write the thorough review and we hope to have the pleasure of your company with us again soon.