“Brilliant”
Review of La Grande Mare

La Grande Mare
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Reviewed 27 May 2014

From entering La Grande Mare to leaving everything was perfect .
We were greeted by Shannon, and the welcome was warm and lovely.
On entering our room (b7), we were pleasantly surprised by the size of it. A huge bed with the normal accompanying furniture you'd expect in bedroom, but also a full living space, with dining table ,sofa coffee table and kitchenette . The bathroom was large ,very large,with walk-in shower,toilet and wash basin, and supplied with top quality toiletries.
The breakfast was lovely,and freshly cooked to order, the gentleman who served us (sheev) was attentive but not overpowering.
The evening meal was wonderful, and also served by very attentive staff, Diana, Christian and Marzena, brought us our food. The sea bass fillet was mouthwatering , and my wife's risotto was perfect. We then went to the bar and met Ron. If you like a cocktail ,he's your man, and I personally recommend the Long Island Ice Tea.
Thank you grande mare.. It was a brilliant stay and if we re-visit Guernsey, we will definitely use you again !

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear RobA935
Wow,what a comprehensive review of your stay !
We as a team, are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your experience with us .
The report highlights most things we have been working hard on the last few years so it really is a delight for us to hear how much you rated the team and the rooms which have been upgraded.
Once again a big thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time and effort to review our Hotel.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Been lucky enough to come to this hotel, pretty much every year since I was born. It has a wonderful, family feel, the staff are excellent and I wouldn't want to spend my summers anywhere else. I would recommend it to anyone visiting Guernsey.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Nicola C
Thank you for the glowing review of our Hotel.
We are delighted that you have enjoyed so many summers here and we look forward to you celebrating many more with us !

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I were treated to a weekend stay for my birthday, right from the start I could not fault the hotel, we had afternoon tea which was lovely, the evening meal was superb and our room was very comfortable, I had the best sleep in the lovely luxurious bed and the breakfast was filling and tasty.
all the staff went out of their way to please us and made our stay special.
I would definitely recommend anyone to stay in such luxury and high standards and will go back there again myself.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hayley H
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Hayley H
Thank you for the lovely review on Trip adviser,I will share the review with our team who will be delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.
Those beds are especially made for us on Island to a five star quality so delighted to hear how much you enjoyed them.
We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon at La Grande Mare Hotel in Guernsey.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here in January whilst on a works assignment on the island.
I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful; and willing to accommodate any needs that I had.
The food was of a decent standard and prices were in line with what you would expect.
The stayed in one of the Hotel's suites and it was of a very good standard; being clean, fresh, cosy and warm.
I would definitely stay here again if visiting the Island.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter B
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Peter B

It was a delight to hear how well we catered for your business needs when you stayed with us on a recent trip to Guernsey.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write the review as I am sure it will help other potential guests surfing Trip adviser to stay with us too !

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here with my daughter (7) on the night before my wedding. We had afternoon tea delivered to our room and enjoyed a three course meal in the evening.

When I checked in, the receptionist was extremely polite and friendly which gave a fantastic first impression.

The food was lovely, lots of choice and it all tasted excellent. The staff were very friendly and professional.

Our room was amazing! Clean, spacious, comfortable....everything you would expect and more. The dressing gowns and towels were fluffy and soft which really made a difference as sometimes, in other hotels, i find they can sometimes be starchy and coarse.

All in all, it was a brilliant experience and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. This was the first time I had stayed overnight but have eaten there many times and it has never disappointed.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms/suites seating areas open onto golf course. Not an issue for me personally but i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Jenniferlelacheur

Congratulations on the marriage and well done first of all !
Next I would like to thank you for the review on behalf of of the team here at La Grande Mare.
We are thrilled to read just how consistent you find us and how much you both enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to see you again soon with all the family !

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My partner and I stayed over for one night, The room was very comfortable, clean with excellent toiletries and not forgetting a good powerful shower. The evening meal was of an high standard well presented and good portion sizes. The restaurant staff (Shiv and Rado) made the total experience extra special. The service provided by all the staff during our stay was extraordinary. Great value.............
The Vermuellen family have made this a very special place and I think my dad would be proud of what they have achieved.

Room Tip: All the rooms are of excellent standard..
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Sergiopaulohenri
Thank you for the great review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed for three nights. Large well furnished room with comfortable four poster. Excellent bathroom with good quality toiletries slippers and dressing gowns. TV and Bose sound system with ipod connection.

Restaurant service first class with interesting food though the menu could have more variety but OK over three nights.

Spa facility with good indoor pool and sauna but often busy with outside members. Good changing facilities. Outdoor pool available in Summer and limited to hotel guests. Golf course attached.

Two minute walk to attractive unspoilt sea front with excellent coastal walks in both directions.

Staff friendly, good humoured and extremely helpful.

Would definitely return as overall a first class stay

Room Tip: A room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bomber12
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your three night stay with us and all the facilities La Grande Mare offer.
We are just about to offer our Summer menus that offer more variety of choice,Together with our steak board,a la carte,specials and light bite menus.
Hope to welcome you back soon !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 19 in St Peter Port
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins

Been to La Grande Mare? Share your experiences!