“5* service at 3* prices”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Martins
Sunnydene Country Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Our 3rd stay at the Sunnydene and we went with 2 other couples, family and friends. Warm welcome from both Betty and Tony for whom nothing is to much trouble. They even remembered that we prefer blankets instead of a duvet from our trip last year. Always ready to do anything they can to make our stay enkoyable. We look forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs can be difficult for those with walking problems as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Sunnydene Country Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My friend and I went to Sunnydene for a week, we had a lovely time. Our rooms were excellent, clean and well serviced daily. Toiletries were provided in the bathroom.. The hotel is run by the owners, Tony and Betty, who set very high standards of service and cleanliness. The menu for breakfast was wonderful and also for dinner where they were changed each day, and there was plenty to choose from. They have a very good chef, the food was lovely. Always arrived hot and presented well.
The only thing I was disappointed with was the cold water in the pool. It looked very attractive, but I put my toe in and it was freezing. I had hope to go in, but couldn't brave it!!
We were so lucky to have beautiful weather for our week
I hope to go again sometime in the next year. I certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: I had a single room, no 4, on the first floor, overlooking the car park, which was OK as I wasn'...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joanne186284
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Our first stay at Sunnydene for 5 nights was wonderfully relaxing and peaceful. The hosts were so attentive and the hotel was immaculate. We paid slightly more for a garden view, ground floor room at the back and it was roomy, clean and warm (the weather not being very warm). We had a twin with large, comfy beds and I have never slept in a quieter place.
We had booked B & B but decided to have all our evening meals in the Sunnydene and enjoyed the excellent food throughout the week. If you book half-board in advance you can save on the daily set menu price.
The hosts were welcoming from the start and because we were early and our room hadn't been cleaned, Betty provided a complimentary coffee and biscuits in the lounge while we waited. Nothing was too much trouble and Betty ensured that rooms were maintained to the highest standard.
A bus to town stopped outside and other buses ran along the main road from the airport, 10 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are ground floor and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kenandnetty
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at Sunnydene and it was just as good as we remembered. Betty and Tony are excellent hosts and nothing is too much trouble for them. They make you feel very welcome. The food is better than a five star hotel and we really think Sunnydene is underrated as a 3 star hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and are returning again in September.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and have a Garden room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derrick B
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Well what can we say, our stay at Sunnydene was an absolute joy. From the moment we stepped through the front door to the moment we said goodbye at the end of our 10 days there.
Our room was sadly overlooking the kitchen, at the side but it was a great room and someone has to have rooms like this. The room was very well laid out, we had a very big bed and very comfortable it was. We both usually suffer from backache with beds other than ours, but we had 9 nights in it and no aches.There was more that enough room for our clothes and plenty of coat hangers. It makes a change for the heating to be on in hotels, but we were always warm, especially as the evenings were cold. Oh my the shower was fantastic, I just stood under it for ages, it was a real power shower, so much so I didnt want to get out of it. The tea & coffee were always filled up on a daily basis, and fresh towels daily if needed.
The food was superb, I loved the way the Chef put his own twist on some of the meals, especially the sweets.There was only 1 night I came out of the dinning room unsatisfied, I think I made a wrong meal choice, and I think it was chefs night off too.The 1 pudding that I think didnt work was the chocolate pot with homemade shortbread, it was like eating chocolate spread out of the jar, it was too sickly, but I still managed to eat it all!!!! The staff were lovely, and it didnt take them long to get to grips with who had tea and who had coffee.
We took our car on holiday with us, but didnt use it much, we did loads of walking and Sunnydene was a good base to set of from and to do a circular route. The buses altered when we were there, but we did the circular route of the island on the Saturday as they changed the day after, a great way to see the Island and get to grips where places are.
I would recommend anyone to go over to Sark, we had a great day out there, the views were stunning, if you hire a bike you see nearly all the island too.
I like small hotels like the Sunnydene as you get more personal service, and Betty and Tony certainly made our holiday a great time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The majority of all the recent reviews are spot on. This is rated a 3 star 'small' hotel, but is definitely a 5 star in disguise. We have stayed in so called 5 star hotels which don' t match up to this one. Tony and Betty are, as everyone else says, excellent hosts and nothing is too much trouble for them. The hotel itself is spotless, tastefully decorated and furnished, and in no way tired, as a lot of smaller hotels tend to be. The room my wife and I had overlooked the (heated) swimming pool, and was very clean with an exceptionally comfortable king sized bed.
We had booked on a B & B basis with the intention of going out to eat as we like to try out different restaurants. However, having decided to eat in the hotel on our first night, we were so impressed with the comfortable restaurant, service and especially the food that we never ate out once! We are relatively small eaters so we didn't opt for the 3 course menu (it would appear that most of our fellow guests were on full board) but instead chose a main course off the a la carte. Every meal was superb and we could not fault anything.
We especially liked the fact that we were able to have a pre meal drink in the relaxing bar before Tony took the meal order. There was a comfortable wait before Betty came through with a tray to take our drinks and show us to our table. Small touches but very welcome.
We wouldn't look for anywhere else to stay on Guernsey if ever we go back.

A word of warning. The bus routes and numbers were changed one week before our arrival. The only bus that stops outside the Hotel is the 81, and the only bus that now goes to the Airport is the 11. All the buses always end up at the terminus in St Peters Port except the 111 which plies its trade between Pleinmount and The Bridge. Also we discovered that if you are waiting for a bus anywhere on the island around 3pm then the routed buses can suddenly change to a school bus and fly past you at the stops! Finally tourists can no longer buy an Ormer card, every trip is £2 (not £1 as for locals) regardless of distance. We bought a travel card for £19 each, which was excellent value as we would have spent £80 had we purchased a ticket every time we boarded a bus. Even the locals were confused as to what bus went where and at what time as were, we think, some of the drivers!! Once you get the hang of it though it's a great way to see the island!

Room Tip: We appeared to have the only room actually in the hotel which overlooked the swimming pool. Reckon t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russmar
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Sunnydene is an amazing place, the hosts are great and the food even better. Nothing is too much trouble for them and you just feel like you are going home each time that you arrive.
Breakfast is something else and not for the feighntgearted!

Room Tip: All of the rooms here are great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 9 in St Martins
Saints Bay Hotel
Saints Bay Hotel
#7 of 9 in St Martins

Been to Sunnydene Country Hotel? Share your experiences!