“In a class of its own with a view to die for”
Review of L'Auberge

L'Auberge
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in St Martins
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Perched on the top of Jerbourg cliffs The Auberge used to be a simple pub - the reviewer's local in fact. But that was three decades ago. Now a Guernsey ex-pat I revisit The Auberge each time I return home to see my folks.

The food is imaginative, it's well cooked and always interesting.
It's not expensive in today's Guernsey and the only sadness is to see so many Eastern Europeans working. They were excellent and efficient but lacking the warmth of Guernsey people.

But don't let that dissuade you. Go for the food and the view arguably both are near the top of what Guernsey can offer.

Fresh fish and Shellfish - my wife had Monkfish wrapped in Serrano Ham. Exquisite. I had the table d'hote a- £15 set meal with home pea soup and strong flavoured Serrano Ham/bacon which had been grilled until crispy. A tad salty but yummy. Main was Fish and Chips a ubiquitous choice for an English lunch - but these were to die for - home made shkn-on chunky chips and local Pollack in home mate crispy batter. Perfect. Delightful.

1  Thank PeterLeC
There are newer reviews for L'Auberge

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Often have lunch here with the family when visiting relatives. Food is good. View very inspiring.

3  Thank cgbutton
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I am local, and eat out regularly at restaurants, most of which on the island become quite tedious. Not so for The Auberge, which is by far and away my favourite restaurant to go to.

Apart from the best views, the clean modern restaurant, and the helpful friendly staff, the chef is regularly making changes to the fantasic menu - not something that most guernsey restaurants can lay claim to!

The food itself has never disappointed me. Even when choosing something I wouldn't normal eat (such as the seabass sashimi) I am suitably impressed. The flavours that the chef manages to combine, along with the quality of the ingredients make for a special meal everytime.

If you can only go to one restaurant in guernsey, it should be this one!

3  Thank Gsysturoy
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I've had a wonderful dinner at the auberge restaurant, we were very impressed. We have ordered whole baked seabass with tamatos and herbs, the fish was just huge! and we paid for it £35 what is not much at all. I have read a few comments about pricy auberge and I think the value is pretty good staff very helpful and they know menu very well. The restaurant is STYLISH and CLEAN what I can't say about loads of places which i have visited. We will be back!!!

5  Thank Natalia S
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Only down point was I'd booked 2/3 weeks in advance and when I showed up they didn't have the reservation. However..the manager apologised and showed us to a lovely table with a great view. We ordered a nice wine to complement the food and it was served properly and ice cold. I had the Seabass Sushimi starter and it was amazing. The fish delicious, presentation spot on and the lime and dressing perfect. My Seabass (again) main was also perfect. We had dessert and coffee and left very happy.

In many places the chef plays about with odd comninations to be fancy and show off but the results poor. Here, each well though out ingredient on the plate compliments the next.

The atmosphere was also good. An excellent way to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary

2  Thank Ross B