“WOW!!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in St Martins
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

New to TA,and wanted to register to share my experience at the auberge last week end.the restaurant was packed and had a wonderful evening.we had a nice cocktails on arrival and as we could not decide what to eat,we were recommended a cote de boeuf to share .the steaks was yummy and had a nice wine to go with it.the staff was very attentive.what decided me to put ink on paper is that some places go the extra mile to satisfy their customers.we were struggling to find a taxi, so the manager gave us a lift !!!!i mean how many places would do that!
Carry on guys,you are doing a great job and deserve to be busy.see you next year

Mike

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I visited the Auberge last week with wife and parents. For those that haven't been recently, the dining area has been extended outwards and the place looks spectacular.

The waiting staff were friendly and reasonably efficient, and the menu is interesting and quite well priced; the starters ranged from £6- £10 and mains ranged from (roughly) £16-£20, unless you go for steak. Potatoes / vegetables are extra, but the portions are generous so no need to go overboard (and in some cases no 'extras' are needed at all, as our waitress helpfully pointed out).

We wanted this to be fantastic, but unfortunately it wasn't. For my starter I ordered sea bass sashimi with pink grapefruit, pickled ginger and soy. The sea bass arrived swimming in soy sauce, to the extent that it was difficult to pick out the taste of the ginger, let alone the poor old sea bass. Other starters were pretty good, including the whole baked camembert, which isn't exactly high cuisine but was perfectly done and served with a fabulous array of chutneys, breads, biscuits and fruits. Fantastic, and easily enough for two to share.

My wife had the veal main and found it very bland. My parents had the lamb and the turbot and enjoyed them.

My main was the trio of Guernsey pork. The ham hock bon bon was perfect, but the roasted loin was significantly overdone and the fat content of the pork belly was just too much even for a glutton (probably 60-70% of the portion, I actually had to cut a layer out it was so large).

In addition, and perhaps most worryingly, the green swirl of sauce on my plate had formed a slight murky green crust, i.e. it must have been sat on the plate for a decent period of time prior to the plate being served. I never found out whether the green swirl was pea or broad bean or watercress or something else because it looked so unappetising.

The desserts were good and the wine list is reasonably priced and varied (for Guernsey at least).

This place has deservedly built up a good reputation over recent years and the chef is well thought of (with good reason). However, with the extension, the number of covers has now increased by (I'd estimate) 50% and there are new owners. Alarm bells.

1  Thank Quityourjibberjabber
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I went out with three of my friends on busy Saturday evening. We had delicious cocktails to start at the bar. The choice of food was so big and with little help of the Manager we chose our meal, which was really great.The service was excellent - working with big smile, food was amazing, views outstanding. We couldn't ask for more.

1  Thank Sally M
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Having not eaten here for a while, I decided to return to treat the missus. It is a little far out from town, however is worth the journey. Made to feel very welcome from the moment we walked in, even though the restaurant was very busy.
Starters were nice and light - I had the crab salad, perfect for a summer evening.
Shared a Steak for main, carved at the table and cooked perfectly, the mushroom sauce is to die for.
Desert (strawberry tart) the best I have had on the island, beautifully presented and really tasty. The missus had the cheese, I have never seen so much cheese on offer, there was so much that I had to help her which I was more than happy to do. Some really nice unusual cheeses on offer, something which is very rare in Guernsey restaurants.
Have already booked another trip in a couple of weeks, Cant wait to go back!

1  Thank BIGMAN792
Reviewed 18 August 2013

When we arrived for our 8pm booking I was amazed just how full the restaurant was. I was I admit a little tentative, my last visit had not been good. We joined the rest of our party who had drinks already. There was a long wait for us & whilst I wasn't timing it, it was well over half an hour before we received our drinks.

At 9pm (we had been in the restaurant for over an hour at that point) we flagged a passing waitress & asked if we could order. So my tip is book for 7 or 7.30, we were last in & seemed to be forgotten.

From here on in it improved, the food didn't take long to arrive & when it did it was worth the wait....2 of us had the goats cheese ravioli & I have to say it was to die for. 2 had scallops & king prawns with chive mash which looked beautiful & apparantly was lovely, the other had the veal which again didn't disappoint.

For dessert I was the only one that ventured away from sticky toffee pudding. The girls all agreed this was fab. I had the peach soup whih was lovely & light & very tasty.

The wine was perfectly chilled & we were topped up at appropriate intervals (I hate it when I'm topped up every time I take a sip, and I hate it more when my glass is empty).

I rounded off witha cup of beautifully presented green tea.

Whilst this didn't cost as much as I'd feared it's certainly not a cheap night out. The food isn't badly priced for the quality....although I did turn my back on the steak menu pretty quick. The mains varied from £12 to £20 ish & the desserts were £6.25 (a bit pricey). I quite fancied cheese but this was extortionate at over £10.

It was the wine that bumped up the price but, I have to say it was good quality. Wines started at £18 and we opted for a beautiful sparkling Rose.

The cliff top setting is beautiful & the restaurant itself is beautifully decorated. Definitely on my list of places for special occasions/treats

1  Thank Jojogsy