“A winter birthday treat”
Review of L'Auberge

L'Auberge
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in St Martins
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We asked our hotel receptionist to advise on a pleasant winter walk and he directed us to the cliff path calling for lunch at this restaurant . Great views and atmosphere and the food was excellent especially the delicious Sea Bass. Friendly and attentive service.

There are newer reviews for L'Auberge

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I'm sure if you can visit in the day, and enjoy the beautiful views out over the water, this restaurant experience would be something else altogether. But for me, there was something of a strange juxtaposition of really top rate food (and I mean really, really top), with a slightly dated interior, and a few strange oversights in the service, that just didn't seem to square away.

For example, the fish is the real highlight at this restaurant (and on Guernsey in general, really), so having a full menu featuring a lot of seafood, as well as other 'turf' options felt natural - so why another steak menu on the side (also written up on chalkboards around the restaurant)? I have no idea how good the steak is, it may be very popular, but it just felt unneccessary. Likewise, the fist I ordered for both starter and main was original, fresh, and exceptionally cooked - and it felt odd to receive a dish cooked so well without a proper fish-knife. A small thing, hardly detracted from our evening, but it was just a bit strange.

Anyway, on the whole, I'm picking tiny holes in what was otherwise an excellent evening with exceptional food. The staff were brilliant, and the food is the best on the island.

2  Thank AsaJ545
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We booked dinner here, expecting a lot and were not disappointed!
The vibe is casual chique, and so is the service. Fast and what is needed, friendly and not overly posh. We had cocktails and while they were pricy, the quality was the best we've ever had. Elegant, refreshing and just the right amount of alcohol. A must drink (I tried the Strawberry Daiquiri I think). The food was excellent: every course was full of flavour and tasty.
Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank Laura K
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Went there for a christmas date with my wife on a rainy Saturday lunchtime. on arrival they couldn't find our booking and took a while to say it was ok and that we could still have a table (must be busy, we thought) we enjoyed a ocktail by the fire while we checked out the mouthwatering menu. Whilst we were doing so we were again asked for our name and they checked it was a table for two. We ordered off the a la carte and once we'd done this we had our booking checked for a third time, this time via our phone number and, hey presto, there we were. As it turned out there was only a grand total of about 12 other covers in the whole place over lunch so not sure why such a big deal was made.
We then caused huge confusion by asking to move tables for a better view, so much so we stayed where we were as it had become awkward, next we had another table's food put down before us and to finish it off the table next to us was cleaned whilst we were still eating with spray detergent. We were unfortunately left feeling like the staff wanted us out of the place, although they were outwardly polite and courteous.
In short, apart from the maitre de there was a real lack of professional service and attention to the overall experience, which for two courses, a couple of drinks and a bottle of wine came in at £113, you expect a bit more.
At this point it's important to state that the food was excaptional, my wife feels here lamb could have been the best she's ever had and both my starter and main (sea bass followed by oxtail and turbot) were superb and we will return because the food is both expertly done as well as have a flair of adventure, which we love.
Overall we were frustrated as it was little things that could have been done differently and would have meant the overall experience would have been top draw, instead the service just felt bog standard and totally out of keeping with a place that has such a strong brand of excellence (this was the first time I have ever left a poor tip, £10 as the girls were friendly enough and the maitre de at least knew the menu, I am a big tipper as I rate good service and respect the part it plays but on this occasion my wife had to encourage me to leave anything)
As i said, we will go again and this time for dinner, and I'd really like to find this was a one off

3  Thank Superfez
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Visited l'Auberge again this time for a Christmas party. Wonderful night, great atmosphere and service, lovely food. Never disapointed