“Seriously sad”
Review of Sausmarez Manor

Sausmarez Manor
More attraction details
Owner description: Sausmarez Manor is still the seat of the seigneurs de Sausmarez since C1205. There are a number of interesting things to do or see whilst you are there;- Historic House tours a Subtropical Garden, a Sculpture Park, a ride on train, Ghost Tours, a Short Golf course, Craft shops
Reviewed 18 June 2014

On our first trip to Guernsey, we wanted to see some gardens, and Sausmarez Manor has a high profile in the literature. The so-called tropical garden is a disgrace. It is a narrow valley planted mostly with bamboos and azaleas. So there is no colour outside the azalea season. Clearly no-one had done any real maintenance or weeding for many years. Perhaps the garden was bright and interesting in the 1950s or 1960s, but now it is a sad relict of what was clearly once a loved garden. There are a couple of muddy ponds with a few mallard ducks. As for the sculpture. It is the type of dross that you see on a down market south London garden centre. There is a preponderance of naked nymph children (very 1950s and not what I would want in my garden post Saville).

The whole place has a sad, run down feeling. The car park is a free for all patch of dried out mud. The 'short golf course' is a pitch and put on a lawn which would be described as the rough at our local golf course (you'd need a nine iron). The tea area served the worst coffee we had in our week on Guernsey, although the lady was friendly and so was the copper smith. The train wasn't running, but there were adverts all over the place saying 'driver wanted'!

We had put £16 into the honesty box to go around the tropical garden (no one around to take our money) and I seriously considered breaking the box open after our visit to give myself a refund.

This place does have potential, but the owners should realise that it is now 2014, not 1954. They are living on past glory and seriously need to spend some money and get their act together.

Oh and the gents toilet needed cleaning.

For those wanting gardens, go to the council-run Saumarez Park. It is free and their Victorian walled garden is looked after by volunteers who gave a friendly welcome. Better still go to the Seigneurie Gardens on Sark and take the Wednesday morning tour led by the head gardener. That is a garden.

3  Thank archaeologyman

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My Husband and I and 2 friends visited the Manor recently. We attended the Saturday morning Farmers Market which was enjoyable. We also went on tour of the house - not a great deal to see but an 'interesting' guide.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Sculpture Garden at Sausmarez Manor is worth a visit if you enjoy art and or garden walks. The cost per adult is £6 and I believe you are welcome to stay as long as you please, there are areas along the walk where you can sit and watch the ducks , read a paper etc. the trail through the Tropical Garden is an easy walk along Bamboo lined paths on mostly level ground and every few feet there are sculptures for you to enjoy and admire. It's not a flower garden as such but there is a wide variety of vegetation planting. Other attractions include a cafe, gift shop, a working coppersmiths and gift shop plus a small train running through the grounds for children. There is only one house tour on a Friday and sadly we were too late to join the tour so I cannot comment on the interior. We spent a lovely couple of relaxing hours at Sausmarez and it's certainly somewhere I would return to on my next visit to Guernsey. Comments have been made that the house looks tired and I cannot deny it's not "cutting edge" but that's half the charm of the place.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Didn't dislike any thing, was impressed by the amount they crammed into the subtropical garden. Apart from the odd plane taking off the only other sound was songbirds. Very tranquil.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Little to see. There is a little train that may run at times but not going during our visit. The gardens and house were expensive to see round and when we have seen many country houses and gardens these were not worth seeing.