“Dirty, mouldy, damp & outdated”
Review of Saints Bay Hotel

Saints Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Having booked a three night stay, after a busy Saturday afternoon, we returned to the hotel at 4pm and asked if it was possible to order from the children's menu but were told there was no food available until 6pm (we were later to learn this is normal practice in Guernsey) however, when I asked the manager if she felt it appropriate to not have food available all day for children, her response was simply astonishing and I was told (and I quote) "you cannot be a good parent if you don't feed you child at the designated meal times". Excuse me, we are on holiday, I wasn't aware the hotel dictated what times my daughter (aged 4) ate food!
While I appreciate the majority of Guernsey hotels do not serve food all day, I was left stunned at the reaction I received from the manager who was extremely rude and very 'matter of fact' in her response and when was not even prepared to offer a small sandwich or anything-had this been the case, i would have accepted the situation and put it down to experience. However, I cannot emphasize the attitude and complete lack of regard for me and my family from the person running the establishment; we received the worst customer service Ive ever had in my life. After all, i was paying £145 per night!
As a consequence of our 'debate' we were asked to leave the hotel as she 'did not want people like us in her establishment.' Quite frankly had we known what the hotel was like, even from just a room point of view, we wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole.
Our room was extremely shabby, outdated and in desperate need of modernization and refurbishment, as the pictures show.
Damp on the walls.
Brown substance stained down the walls
Electric plug sockets 'secured' with sticky tape
Mould in the (empty) fridge
Broken radiators
Dirty cloths left in the bathroom
This is definitely a hotel I would certainly NOT recommend and if you do book, you're mad! Suffice to say, my daughter did eventually get her lunch, at the Friquet Hotel, ten minutes down the road, and a little bit cheaper as well!

1  Thank Brett W

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Having booked a three night stay, after a busy Saturday afternoon, we returned to the hotel at 4pm and asked if it was possible to order from the children's menu but were told there was no food available until 6pm (we were later to learn this is normal practice in Guernsey) however, when I asked the manager (who arrived and asked the barman, "who's complaining then?") if she felt it appropriate to not have food available all day (for children,) her response was simply astonishing and I was told (and I quote) "you cannot be a good parent if you don't feed you child at the designated meal times". Excuse me, we are on holiday, I wasn't aware the hotel dictated what times my daughter (aged 4) ate food!
While I appreciate the majority of Guernsey hotels do not serve food all day, I was left stunned at the reaction I received from the manager who was extremely rude and very 'matter of fact' in her response and when was not even prepared to offer a small sandwich or anything. Had this been the case, I would have accepted the situation and put it down to experience. However, I cannot emphasize the attitude and complete lack of regard for me and my family from the person running the establishment; we received the worst customer service Ive ever had in my life. After all, i was paying £145 per night!
Our room was extremely shabby, outdated and in desperate need of modernization and refurbishment,(in keeping with the whole hotel, in general) as the pictures show.
Damp on the walls.
Brown substance stained down the walls
Electric plug sockets 'secured' with sticky tape
Mould in the (empty) fridge
Broken radiators
Dirty cloths left in the bathroom
This is definitely a hotel I would certainly NOT reccommend and if you do book, you're mad! Suffice to say, my daughter did eventually get her lunch, at Le Friquet Hotel, ten minutes down the road, and a little bit cheaper as well!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

On arrival at the hotel we were met by the receptionist who, while being friendly enough, was hardly bending over backwards to offer us a warm welcome and it was the same when we came down for breakfast the following morning. We asked where the dining room was and were just 'pointed' in the right direction. On the plus side, the waiting staff were very helpful and friendly and are a credit to the hotel. Our room (53!) was massively old fashioned, and in keeping with the whole of the hotel, is in desperate need of a complete refurbishment. We paid £144 per night for a twin room (with a small bed for our daughter) and while that is not an extortionate price, I expect the standard to be much better. The bathroom was very dark and dingy (again, very outdated and not particularly clean) and the radiator was broken at the bottom and had a very old dirty cloth stuffed between the pipes and the wall (see pic) while our window did not close fully, therefore the noise of the seagulls and music from the dining room below (which started at 7:30am-presumably to wake everybody to hurry them up for breakfast) was made much greater because we could not completely close the window.
Breakfast overall, was ok. A reasonable amount of choice with fresh juices, toast and full English.
The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool which is well situated and has space around for eating and drinking, although the water did look very murky and could probably do with a clean. The same can be said for the carpets in our room!
There is free wifi available but I had to call reception to be given the password as the is nothing in the room offering such details. The 'guest information' 'pack' has also clearly not been changed in ages as the paper was dirty and slightly screwed up. Perhaps a trivial thing, but still, nevertheless, adds to the general lack of attention to detail and care in the hotel.
All in all, I have to admit to being slightly disappointed with the hotel having paid what I consider a reasonable amount of money per night. It lacks modern day requirements/standard and is in major need of a complete refurbishment. Because of its location, the Hotel management are able to charge above the odds rather than what is really acceptable for a hotel of this standard. I will not be returning.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I keep coming back to this lovely hotel. With or without the family. What I like about it? Its location, the ambiente, the staff and especially the welcome they give you. If you want peace, you will be able to live it; if you want action, you just go to the excellent bar and start conversing with other nice people or locals, who love to come along for a scone (in the afternoon) or a chat (in the evening). Even the seagull has a name: Tobi. From the cliffs a few steps away you look to the bay, where Claude Monet used to draw some of his paintings or where Victor Hugo wrote the "Tailors of the Sea" and fell in love with a local woman. It is all there, just come and see. It is wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Doris H
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Went tonight for a bar meal it was excellent.service was very good and a pleasant atmosphere
finished with a nice cup of coffee,brought to you in a jug with a jug of hot milk will definitely go again with Friends in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry642
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I came to the hotel as part of an Athletics competition and stayed for two nights. The overall decor of the hotel was slightly dated and some of the corridors had a slight musty smell, However the rooms were very clean and tidy.

The breakfast was very good and the evening meals were good value for money! The waitering staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough to help!

The pool was warm enough however hard a lot of leaves on the surface and the pool side looked dated.

Overall, it is a very good hotel with good value for money!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a week over the Xmas period, food was excellent and the staff were a great bunch.the staff worked so hard to ensure that guests had a good time. time On Xmas morning all guests recieved a present. Nice thought that goes a long way. Well done to you all.

Room Tip: Take good walking shoes as the location is remote.