“Outstanding”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel. From start to finish we were looked after and pampered. We were upgraded at no extra cost as it was my birthday and they even arranged a cake and champagne to be delivered to our room on the morning of my birthday. The rooms are small but very well presented with lovely extra touches like the orchids in the room. The staff were all very friendly and willing to help with anything.

The hotel is situated in the countryside but very close to St Peter Port, and has plenty of parking.

The pool is warm and deep and there were no kids there which was fabulous.

The gardens were lovely and the lunches divine. The two cats Bella and Luce are really sweet and sooo affectionate.

All in all a fantastic stay

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellingOrange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
West Chiltington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Our stay at Hotel Bella Luce was absolutely amazing. Impeccable from start to finish! Everything the hotel promised upon booking the room several months ago, was delivered and more. Reception staff are friendly, knowledgable and extremely helpful - even giving us the weather forecast for the day ahead so we could plan where to go on the island! Our room (105) was above everything we expected; huge comfy bed, lovely sofa, air-conditioning for the warm August nights, bath tub in the corner of the room, handy dressing area and big stylish bathroom with sandstone tiled walk-in shower. We will definitely be wanting this room again! The food in the restaurant is beautifully presented (breakfast, lunch and dinner), superb to taste and the service of the staff is excellent and beyond all expectations. They even remembered the bottle of wine we ordered 2 nights previous and where we said we would be going for our day trips! The bar, cellar lounge and gardens are comfy and relaxing. The pool area is still sunny in the early evening - perfect for catching the last sun rays of the day. Couldn't fault this hotel in any way and we cannot stop talking about it to all our friends and family. Thank you to all the staff there and we will certainly be returning for our next trip to Guernsey.

Room Tip: Having only seen inside Room 105, I can only comment that this room is fantastic for luxury, style a...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Cumbria
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I stayed for three nights.
I read the reviews before booking, I am a SLH member so pretty much new what to expect.

We were not disapointed, a really terrific Hotel, the staff, the rooms, the food, the service, everything is top drawer.

My only critisism was the fact that the outside garden restuarant allows two cats to have a free run of begging at tables, this is a personal view, I guess some people actually like cats clawing at them and jumping on the table when having lunch, sadly I am not one of them and would mark the otherwise excellent Hotel down on this point.

Cats aside I would highly reccomend and actually think we will revisit.

Lower Heyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

In need of a quiet getaway from the bustle of normal life, I took a solo trip to Guernsey. Based on the reviews of Bella Luce, I decided to take a chance on it, and very glad I did. On arrival the appearance of the hotel is beautiful, and walking into the front door I was greeted by a friendly and courteous Christian. He was a wealth of information about places to go, and offered more info if I needed it on places to eat or just to have a cup of coffee. He was also most helpful in organising a hire car, when the weather didn't turn out quite as sunny as I had hoped.

I was then shown to my room, which was a little on the small side from what I had expected, but as I was alone, it didn't phase me too much. I had a great view out over the gardens. The room was clean, comfortable and had ample cupboard space. There was also a wide range of teas to choose from for the morning cuppa (of which I am partial, and how I often judge my hotels).

The bathroom was tiny, but the bath was large, and great for a long soak after a day of cliff walking or island hopping.

On retiring I noted the mattress was not great. I could feel the springs when I slept, so it could do with a change, but I will confess to not mentioning this when I checked out.

On the whole all the staff in the hotel were great. Very prompt with taking orders, and always on hand to follow up on any other requests. The food was good (even a fussy eater, such as myself found good options when I ate in the restaurant).

I also used the spa that is attached to the hotel, and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, over and above what I would require.

The location of the hotel is also good, being a very short drive to St Peter's Port. If you don't have a car hired, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. There are some pretty walks around the narrow lanes of St Martins as well.

So all in all a very pleasant stay, and a hotel I would certainly recommend to anyone going to Guernsey.

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing a garden facing room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Bella Luce is a lot like what Guernsey is for many of us: an unexpected and fairly memorable find. The hotel is aided by a considerate and knowledgeable staff, particularly Colleen and Christian, who can guide you through the island and will make an effort to ensure that everything's going your way. The food is fine. Breakfast superior to dinner (the wine list needs some improvement with a couple more good moderately priced wines). LIke the island itself, the hotel is just right for three full days. Take a walk along the rustic path that leads to the beach and have dinner at the Beach cafe (reservations required, but you can sit at the small counter facing the sea. Life could be a lot worse than that). Continue walking. Also, visit the very moving (occupation museum. Hit the markets and sample the local fare and buy some small gifts to take home (there's a lot of Guernsey flavor involving ingredients). Maybe play a little pitch and putt golf and stroll the nearby grounds. Take a ferry to one of the neighboring islands or take a local bus from start to finish on Guernsey . Sit downtown by the pier (but get a restaurant suggestion from the staff at the hotel so you don't get something awful at the pier). Then relax in a nonstandard room (very important), enjoy the garden, read, be romantic if that fits.
The hotel is probably the one thing that make it all work. And it wouldn't work that well if it weren't for the consideration and intelligence of the staff. Also, finally, make sure you read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a clever novel based on the island's experience in World War II, and perhaps something by Victor Hugo, who lived and wrote there. The war aspect, once you get to know it, gives you a very deep feeling for the place. The atmosphere the books provide also help a lot. Talk to people, especially those with dogs, you encounter while out. I'm glad I went to Guernsey and I'm glad I sort of stumbled on it. It's not a typical resort isle, but it is a respite, and it feels as far away, while maintaining the comforts, from the so-called real world as you can be.

Room Tip: Get a room that isn't a standard. Spend some time with the front staff, as they're helpful...
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed at the Bella Luce last week and we had a great time
The food was excellent and the service fantastic
All the staff were happy in their work and very friendly
The room was very comfortable and the bathroom first class
The weather was reasonable and we visited many places around the island
It was our first visit but we will be back
Herm Island is a brilliant place to visit during your stay

Room Tip: The staff were all excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to visit again soon My adv...
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Having read all the wonderful reviews, I was indeed looking forward to our first trip to Guernsey and seeing what the Bella Luce had to offer. Let me break it down:

Room:

Do not stay in a "standard room" "200 sq ft" with a postage stamp TV which you can only view with your head on the pillow... single glazed window... Room 103 (not enough room for 2 people, let alone 2 suitcases, had the communal staircase and carpark either side.. so very noisy.. maybe other standard rooms are ok, but this is the only one we saw... To be fair, we did get moved after 2 nights once they could change us to a "Luxury room", which in my view should be the standard room...

Restaurant:

Very nice, we some good meals here, scallop and pork belly starter was great, sunday roast was average...

Breakfast:

Cannot fault it, very nicely done, and as always excellent service.

Things to do in the local area:

The spa? Very nice

If the sun is out, there are some excellent coastal walks and pretty bays to investigate. Now we are in out 20's, and lets face it the typical Guernsey visiter is a little older, so we didnt expect the place to be alive each night, but apart from "Town" there is not alot to do.

Overall:

Maybe the awful weather tainted our experience, but we've stayed in alot of hotels (Thailand to Majorca to the Cotswold, all similar prices in fact and the Bella does not come out on top I'm afraid to say, needs a few quid spent on it in my view)

One thing I can add is that the staff are all very good, waiters/waitresses and the young lady on the front desk.

Room Tip: Dont bother with a standard room
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Martins
#1 of 2 in Saint Saviour
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#4 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Hotel Bella Luce? Share your experiences!