“Big Disappointment”
Review of Hotel Bella Luce

Hotel Bella Luce
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We booked the Bella Luce for our honeymoon. Having seen the rooms on the web and the reports on Tripadvisor, we reserved a Luxury room. On arrival, the room we were shown to was anything but luxurious. When we asked where our luxury room was, the attitude of the man on reception was basically we don't have the room you booked - you will have to make do with this one. Yes, we received a reduction on the room rate, but that did not even come close to compensating us for spoiling our honeymoon within fifteen minutes of checking in. The money was irrelevant compared to the disappointment of not having the room that we booked - and had been confirmed by the hotel.
Also housekeeping in the allocated room should be reviewed as pillows and duvet were smelly.

The dinner was a combination of good food and good service. However, the buffet breakfast had flies hopping all over it so we opted for cooked breakfasts instead.

We would like to thank Colleen who was incredibly helpful during our stay.

We have stayed at a number of SLH hotels and been absolutely delighted by the standards of the SLH group. The Bella Luce falls well below that standard.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Paul K

Reviewed 14 October 2012

After 4 nights stay we could not fault this hotel. We did not want to leave as the hotel is excellent, it is situated about 5 minutes drive from St Peter Port. Also, it is in a very quiet location with nice walks from the hotel.
Upon arrival the woman on reception (from Northern Ireland) couldn't be more helpful. Explaining places of interest to visit, even offering to help unload the car. Our room wasn't quite ready as we arrived slightly early. She made us welcome, by offering tea and biscuits while we were waiting.
The room was modern and well presented, it was a smallish room but everything was well catered for. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, as my partner got curry on her trousers and they very kindly took them and put them through their laundry. They washed and ironed them without any extra charge, even asking a couple of days later if they were ok.
At breakfast the service and food was excellent, the choice was good ranging from continental breakfast to a full English. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but the choice on the menu was very good.
We would highly recommend this hotel, and only wished that we could have stayed longer. Would certainly go back, as missing it already!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlanTull
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed at the Bella Luce for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon. What a great choice and such beautiful hotel. The location is fabulous. Quiet area, but easy to access local pubs, walks and beaches. Short ride on the bus into St Peters Port for so hustle and bustle, or a leisurely 30 min walk. Michael, Christian and Coleen made our stay very relaxing and hassle free. Nothing was too much trouble, and excellent recommendations of day trips and places to eat. We found ourselves eating in the hotel restaurant on many occasions as the food is incredible. We were lucky with the weather so enjoyed a spot of sunbathing (and a drink or two) by the pool, and in the sunshine the gardens feel very luxurious. Our room was 105, very classy and boutique styled. We over the free standing bath in the main room, and the large shower in the bathroom. The windows over look the garden which is a lovely view, but in the evening can get a little noisy if the bar is busy.
We would definitely stay again, other local modern hotels pale in comparison.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

I stayed here for 1 night for business in August. The hotel was of very good quality and the service was very good at every level.

The room was large and well appointed as was the bathroom. Overall perfectly good but it wasn't the quietest room. It overlooked a ground floor roof and the aircon/kitchen was quite noisy in the morning.

I also ate in the restaurant in the evening and the quality was extremely good. Breakfast was also excellent.

The only negative was that I think that the finish in the room could have been better. There were very small things that should be attended to at a 5 star establishment.

No complaints given the short stay. I would stay here a again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just to put my review in context, I have been commuting to Guernsey to the UK for 3 months, and have stayed in many hotels across all price ranges (including the most expensive) and would rate the Bella Luce, overall, as the best there is.
The welcome was exceptionally warm and that's just what is needed after an early start commuting and a long day at work. I was shown to my room and found it spacious, comfortable and well appointed. Everything worked really well (shower pressure, wi-fi speed etc) and the bed was large and very comfy. Every member of staff I spoke to everywhere in the hotel, receiption, bar and dining room were helpful, friendly and courteous and made me feel like nothing was too much bother. Service throughout my stay was brilliant and I was always attended to happily and with a smile! Some Guernsey hotels do not understand that different guests have different requirements, ie, those on holiday can spend an hour at breakfast and want to be pampered, others on business need some quick food and service before work. In my experience, the Bella Luce and its staff really get this and accommodates all types of guests very well.
My room and the hotel generally were spotless throughout. And the food, wow! Three different menus to choose from and every meal I had there was delicious. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anybody. I will certainly be going back, in fact I am next week!
Overall, I found the Bella Luce was excellent and it just had a lovely atmosphere about the place, largely generated by the management and staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: I cannot speak for other rooms, but I stayed in 201, excellent!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We are happy to confirm other reviews about this outstanding facility. From the moment that we were met at the ferry dock until we reluctantly departed, the entire staff made our stay most memorable. A special thanks to Christian and the lovely Colleen O'Hara for their recommendations and guidance during our visit. Their personalities seems to meld into the character of the entire island. I certainly hope our travels allow for our return someday.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

We decided that this hotel would be the place to stay to celebrate my 50th birthday and we were not disappointed. Our room (105) was gorgeous and pure luxury, even has a bath with a beautiful mirrored screen around it in our bedroom! The seperate shower room and toilet was also first class and extremely clean. It was tiled from floor to ceiling with marble tiles. The only negative was not having a dressing table with mirror for those close up views for me to do my hair and makeup (as I'm blind as a bat from a distance) but apart from that we really enjoyed our four night stay eating fantastic food in the elegant restaurant and even the bar meals were top quality. All staff were very friendly and helpful and we could not have wished for a better time in Guernsey.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room or you may regret it!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Martins
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
#3 of 19 in St Peter Port
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Hotel Bella Luce? Share your experiences!