“Beautifull Hotel with unrivalled service in an idyllic spot”
Review of Hotel Bella Luce

Hotel Bella Luce
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We had a wonderful 5 day break celebrating a significant birthday for my wife with some close and special friends. The location is wonderfully peaceful with a wonderful coastal bay just 20 minutes walk away down a tranquil lane. The rooms were spotless and comfortable, the food and drink fantastic and the service from the staff was without exception flawless, nothing was too much trouble. I travel a lot on business and this is, without exception, the best service I can remember. We can't wait to come back!!!

Room Tip: Room 203 was great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyF2001

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We are currently staying here for 4 nights. It is beautiful. Staff are very attentive, rooms very comfortable. It is set in lovely gardens. Superb breakfasts!! Highly recommended for those seeking quiet luxury.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Iain P
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The reception staff Maria and Coleen were lovely and very helpful. I couldn't fault them.

We stayed in room 105 which was very nice, large room with a bath in the bedroom - quirky but delightful. A large shower room which was beautiful too.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The service wasn't that good I have to say. My husband ordered crab for his starter. Every single mouthful had at least one piece of shell in it. I had a taste of it and I also had shell in my small forkful! He gave up eating it halfway through as he was fed up spitting it out - not only was he worried about breaking a tooth but the tables are very close together and he was worried it was putting other diners off their food! Embarrassing!

Onto the main course… My husband ordered fish and shellfish with Thai broth with lentils. The fish was very well cooked and fresh. There was so much salt added, he couldn't eat the broth and lentils at all!!! The lady on the next table overheard us talking about the salt content of the food (all courses) and agreed!!! So, it wasn't just us!!! We told the waitress that it was inedible and we heard absolutely nothing back from her, restaurant manager or the chef. No apology, nothing.

At 2 a.m. I was woken by someone running up the stairs, clonking the doors and then walking backwards and forwards across the floor above our room, very heavy footed. Needless to say, I couldn't get back off to sleep. Grrrrr. Not exactly the relaxing break we were after.

Breakfast… Not a very good fruit selection in my opinion and the fruit juice was yuck! The service was slow, disorganised and the tables were not set properly (items missing) - not just our table. People were having to ask for napkins and cups and saucers etc. The cooked breakfast looked great and all tasted good apart from the scrambled eggs which again were full of SALT!!! Disgusting! My husband and I both had the same and agreed it was totally inedible. We didn't say anything to the waitress but she obviously noticed and then asked was everything ok and so we told her that the scrambled egg was so salty, we couldn't eat it! Again, no feedback or apology from the chef or the offer of another plate of scrambled egg. For goodness sake, I can add my own salt but I can't take it out!!!

Upon checking out we mentioned the problems to the receptionist (who was lovely) and did apologise for our salty offerings (not her fault) obviously. She offered us an upgrade upon our return visit. Too little too late I'm afraid - we won't be returning. We should have been reimbursed at least for my husband's meal last night! So, if you would like to reimburse us Bella Luce - feel free!

Marilyn and Michael O'Loughlin

Room Tip: I will always ask to be on the top floor of any hotel from now on and I won't be packing the sal...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Barmymarny
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just returned from a fantastic weekend at the fabulous Belle Luce. We are regular visitors to all of the Channel Islands with Guernsey being a particular favourite. Having stayed at all of the four and five star hotels on the Island we still had Belle Luce to try. What can we say..... We left the BEST to last!!!!
On writing this review we are also comparing Belle Luce to other luxury and boutique hotels throughout the world, having travelled extensively.
The hotel is a haven for a relaxing break. From check in to final lasting impression the Belle Luce team have got it right.
The team are a credit to the privately owned establishment.
Check in was seamless, from our bags swiftly unloaded from our taxi by a smiling porter to a genuine warm welcome from reception with a glass of home made lemonade. An unexpected bonus was our lovely room overlooking the gardens being ready at 9am.

The weekend was special to us as we had chosen the Belle Luce to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We can honestly say the weekend was perfect .The hotel is perfectly situated in a country lane near the cliffs. we are avid walkers so was perfect. Also only a 30 minute walk to town and a bus stop is literally right outside.
Our special evening was fabulous. The service and food outstanding and great value for money as well.
After a great nights sleep in a comfortable bed and an amazing breakfast we checked out and stored our bags for another days hiking. We returned at 3pm to collect our bags and our taxi to the airport. We took the opportunity to wait outside in the lovely seating area in the garden with a complimentary coffee that all guests can help themselves to. A special mention to Maria who on noticing the water in the flask to make the coffee was less than hot swiftly came back with a new hot flask of water. Not only that Maria insisted in carrying both our drinks into the garden. Biscuits were offered and gratefully appreciated and a complimentary spa gift was offered for mothers day!

It is the small consistent touches that make this hotel special and stand out from the rest. Customer Experience at its best! We are already planning and looking forward to returning.

2  Thank happytravelbunnies
Reviewed 23 March 2014

very pleasant and helpful staff, a most attractive Hotel from the front -back 1960's!
nice bedroom clean tidy nice toiletries. Nice Spa with good services and delightful staff.
Staying at the Bella Luce made for a nice two night stay in Guernsey.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GuyCharrison
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Hotel is really nice, with a touch of luxury but not overly posh. Staff is very friendly, above all the girls at the reception, who are smiley and helpful. Breakfast is rich, and really nice, and with a 5 star service from the staff. We also had dinners at the restaurant and I would say it was absolutely delicious with a careful attention from the staff. Would definitely recommend it.

1  Thank rosso_malpelo2002
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and myself stayed at Hotel Bella Luce for 3 nights and found their hospitality absolutely superb! They very kindly upgraded our room on hearing that it was our 10th wedding anniversary, making it extremely special for us. No matter what interaction we had with any of the staff, everyone was always friendly and helpful, no matter what time of day or night. Rooms were spotlessly clean. Food was of the highest quality. Easy access to the beautiful walk cliff walks too. Five stars all the way!!!! Will definitely see us again.

Room Tip: The bridal room is gorgeous!
2  Thank Angie D
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Hotel Bella Luce? Share your experiences!