“Outstanding! A class act.”
Review of Hotel Bella Luce

Hotel Bella Luce
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed with my husband on a "Romantic Break" package over the late May Bank Holiday. The hotel was full although one never felt it was over-run with people. Our room was a superior one and although small, had all one needs and was pretty and well laid-out. Our welcome was enhanced by flowers, excellent chocolates and a quality bottle of champagne - all part of the package. We breakfasted twice - the English breakfast was very good - and dined once. Dinner would not have disgraced a top-end London restaurant and indeed was superior to one we had the week before in such an establishment. Above all, the staff at the Bella Luce are probably the best I have come across in any hotel anywhere in the world. Nothing is too much trouble, you get what you ask for promptly and graciously, they know their jobs well and seem pleased to do them. The smallest niggle is that water escapes from the shower area onto the bathroom floor - a design fault that they know about and are working on. It was no big deal.

I would not hesitate to stay here again and would very much like to come back to this lovely island and do so.

We too found the people of Guernsey warm and welcoming and driving at 35 mph is rather a treat. We were struck by the way drivers give way to one another and thank one for doing so. It is a bit like driving decades ago.

We had many happy experiences in a short time, but a particularly memorable one was eating a fresh crab sandwich from a tea-hut just down the road from the Peninsula Hotel. Turn left off the main road going to the sea at the signpost for the Peninsula. The coastal walks and those on the beaches are fabulous and you will need to walk off some of the delicious food you will be eating on Guernsey.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lesley D

Reviewed 26 May 2010

Since our last stay here 6 years ago, the hotel has undergone a huge makeover. My husband is disabled and so a ground floor room was a necessity - its a shame that there are no ground floor rooms in the main building but the room we had was very nice with a beautifully fitted bathroom. There were no grab bars round the bath but after reporting this to reception, when we got back to the room after lunch, 2 new grab bars had been fitted. The staff were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. There is obviously a good team spirit. Food was excellent and we ate in the hotel every night, either in the bar or the restaurant although if we had been staying longer than 4 nights the menu might have become a bit boring as there were no daily specials. The only thing that cast a cloud over the stay was that I lost my engagement ring, so if anyone reading this finds a diamond ring - most likely in the carpark area outside the annexe or in room 6, let me or the hotel reception know - thanks.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
bellaluce, Owner at Hotel Bella Luce, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2010

Many thanks for your kind words. I know the staff especially will appreciate them. I will endeavour to keep searching for your ring and will update you any progress.

See you at the Bella Luce again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 May 2010

Ate at the hotel last night with the Mother - in-law who was over on holiday.

Excellent food and exceptional service.

Car parking was a nightmare but we found somewhere eventually.

My scallops follwoed by duck were one of the best meals out I have had in years.

Will definitely be returning

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank GGGSarnia
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I stayed at the Bella Luce with a friend for a week in July 2009. We had a twin room which actually contained one large (and beautiful) double bed and a single. It was at the side of the hotel overlooking the pool. The room was large and although the decoration was somewhat odd (some lovely touches eg the bed and some shabby features such as the wardrobe that would only open with several shoves and some dedication), I liked it. We sneaked a look in to several other rooms and while they were newly redecorated they were much much smaller than ours.

The bathroom needed a bit of a refurb - the bath had been painted! - but it was fine apart from the fact you had to be an olympic gymnast to reach the loo roll while actually sitting on the loo.

We complained gently about several minor things on arrival and the Reception team did their best to fix them eg there was no dvd player in the room, several bulbs didn't work, and the bathroom door somehow squeaked in the night even when closed. I was quite impressed with all the staff there.

The downstairs areas of the hotel look great and I think it's only a matter of time before all the bedrooms catch up. Breakfast was good (although they could have done with an extra waiter or two) and the one evening meal we had there was great.

ALL the other guests were couples in their 50s and 60s and we are friends in our 20s. I didn't mind this at all - I just mention it in case you were wanting something else.

Guernsey did not disappoint me in any way. I've wanted to go to the Channel Islands for a long time and I'm very glad I finally went. Not only was Guernsey gorgeous with some spectacular beaches but the people were WONDERFUL. People actually speak to each other and smile and wave and stop to offer help to annoying tourists like us.

My top tips are:

1)Take out the extra car insurance (some of the roads are very narrow)
2) Visit Moulin Huet beach and the tearoom on the way there. It's a scramble to get down and up again but it's gobsmakingly gorgeous.
3) Go on a day trip to Herm. I can't praise it enough. Shell beach rivals anything in the med and I felt like I was in Narnia scrambling around all over the island.
4) Take "fat clothes". The food is great.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Striker54
Reviewed 7 October 2009

This hotel was a 4 star, and has been recently renovated as far as i could see. The entrance hall, restaurant, upstairs and rooms have been done very well, and have a unique boutique type of feeling about it. Although not by the sea or providing sea views, it is nestled in the lanes of the island and is very quiet, ideal for a gettaway break. We did not get a newly renovated room, but none the less ours was stylishly done, and clean. Some of the new rooms have four poster beds i heard!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mel123Uk
LondonBusy, Service Director at Hotel Bella Luce, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2009

Greetings

Many thanks for your kind words.

Since taking over the Hotel in June we have tried to restore this hotel to its former glory and focus on the heart of the operation witch for us was the consistency in the kitchen and our attentive service.
We our very glad we have exceeded your expectations and look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards

William

Reviewed 6 October 2009

Maybe its because they're close to France but these guys completely get away from the often naff and indifferent English hotel experience. It was really refreshing to find people who take their job of making you happy and relaxed seriously and are so good at it. Hard to think of a better hotel we've been to recently.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xenbanshee
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I recently spent a week in Guernsey and stayed at the Bella Luce and loved it. The hotel has just been renovated so the rooms, reception and dining area are nice and modern. The staff were very helpful and friendly, giving me great advice on places to go and see. The restaurant for me was the best part of the stay seeing as the food was second to none. The hotel is located on the southern part of the island and just a short walk away from the cliffs which are breath taking. Overall I really enjoyed my stay and will definately stay at the Bella Luce if I return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Hotel Bella Luce? Share your experiences!