“fantastic”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
newport
“fantastic”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have just returned from a stay at this hotel,we are seasoned travlers and have stayed in 7 * to 2* hotels ,this is got to be one of the best we have ever stayed in, all the staff could not do enough to help .The food was excellent with a very good choice on the menu, our room was deep cleaned every day ,the king size bed very comfortable ,very good hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank judithNewport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Arrived at the hotel 6.30 on a Sunday evening after my flight was cancelled(fog!),along with 20-25 other guests,I guess the owner,waiters,bar staff and chef etc where expecting a quiet evening but this changed very quickly!.My room was very good and clean and bathroom spotless.
All the staff where 1 st class and could not of been more helpfull if they tried,good food,(and beer!) and nothing was to much trouble.
Would I go there again....most certainly.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Derek K
Horsham, West Sussex
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My family stayed for a week in this hotel last summer. We had what would have been a large double room but with 2 additional beds added for the children which made things a little cramped; however, given that we booked quite late and the price of the accomodation it was still good value for money. The beds were comfortable and the room well appointed. The batchroom was a little small with an odd shaped bath but was very clean well stocked.

As mentioned by others there is noise from the planes going over but this was not particularly intrusive.

The weather during our stay was not great and we found the pool very useful and rarely very busy. The breakfasts in the hotel were fantastic, the food was very well cooked and there was a great deal of choice, the staff were friendly and helpful, a trait we found in many of the people around the island. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank rayreviewer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

To be honest this review should be 4/5, but I had a good time so gave it the full monty.

We travelled with Island Getaways and out of season (Feb) got a superb deal at £500ish for both my wife and I, flights, 3 night B&B at Trelade and 3 days car.

Good Points:
Got a bit of a character and staff polite.
Very good for a 3 star.
Room's furniture was nice.
Big Telly.
Great breakfast (cooked to order).
Nice leisure though needs a bit of TLC, i.e. touching up paint work around pool.
Good Sauna.
Really smart bathroom.
Comfortable bed, good tea making facilities.

Bad Points:
Needs a bit of TLC, ie there was a bit of water damage to the wall of the room.
The room was pretty hot and we slept with the windows open, but this was in the depths of winter (London -10 when we flew) so was quite welcome.

For a reasonable price this is a good Hotel. I'm not going to mention the aircraft noise as a negative as frankly I don't think a Hotel by the airport can help this, and there are only around 30 or so flights each day. We hired a car and got around everywhere easily

If you try a restaurant go to the Auberge - it's superb.

Room Tip: Front facing seemed good as you can see the planes go by (instead of just hearing them).
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cmdenny
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Stayed here from 11th to 15th December as part of a 12 person works booking due to a course in Guernsey. We were late in so they kept the chef on to cook food for us which was great. Bar priced well £3.10 for a pint of bitter, the same as the rest of the island! Food was excellent and varied, lea sure club is really good. Decent gym, steam room and two saunas in addition to a good sized indoor swimming pool. Rooms were immaculate and with tv/wifi free throughout the hotel. It is close to the airport so a bit noisy first thing and is a bit out of town so taxis/car will be required. Over all a very well priced and thoroughly recomended.

• Stayed December 2011
Southampton
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was open minded when I arrived at the hotel last weekend and pleasantly surprised when we were offered book in earlier than the stated time. We went to our rooms and the first thing that hit us, almost literally, was the heat. The room must have been 25/26 and the first thing I did was turn off the radiator which was scorching.
Nice room. Comfy beds. Lovely large bathroom. Good amount of drawer, wardrobe space. Nice little tea/coffee making cupboard with, to my delight, a teapot! Unusual in most hotels. Plenty of teabags, milk, etc and when requested, more were supplied.

Plus points:

Comfy beds
Large bathroom
Plenty of drawer and wardrobe space
Hairdrier
Good beverage selection and supply
Teapot! Yippee!
Fabulous breakfast
Great service in restaurant and bar

Minus points

Room unbearably hot, even with radiator off and window open
Noisy.....not from the planes, which we expected, but from some type of machine outside the window which sounded like a jet landing on and off all day and night.
Unable to get shower hot and when I finally got lukewarm I couldn't get the plunger to stay up so shower kept turning off. Very frustrating!
Basin tap lukewarm all the time.....cleaning teeth unpleasant in warm water!
Staff very rude and impatient when we got check out time wrong. Also, when my 86 year old mother got near to the reception desk which had been painted the day before, the man behind the desk didn't hide his impatience about 'people not reading signs' and was openly discussing her with his colleagues. My mother is deaf so didn't hear but I was sat nearer and heard every word. Not impressed!

Finally, although the food was excellent, the red wine I had in the bar was probably the worst I had ever had! Avoid the house wine like the plague!

Overall, the hotel has faults which need to be addressed but wasn't as bad as others might have implied.

Room Tip: Room 204 very noisy due to noise from outside window
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bwitcheduk
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The indoor pool is great for a swim although a little worn out round the edges, i had it to myself all week.
The restaurant serves great food morning or evening i never had a bad meal.

Room Tip: some rooms are a little noisy if they have an a/c unit outside, the hotel is close to the airport ab...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Wayside Cheer Hotel
#5 of 6 in Castel
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Le Friquet Country Hotel

Been to La Trelade Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!