“Worst on the island, Dwat or Dial a Pizza? Avoid both!”
Review of Dawat Restaurant

Ranked #11 of 15 Restaurants in St Martins
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Dawat, or Dial a Pizza is simply awful.

I had been to Dawat's buffet a while ago and was not impressed then. However, I decided to give 'Dial a Pizza' a go and brought a Guernsey Treats voucher for my wife and myself.

We ordered a pizza at 5:20pm and they said it'll be ready at 5:45pm. Not bad right? However, I have never heard of this place before so I needed to look up the location on the internet. On their website they had a google map link. I follow the directions from website and thought it was strange that it was taking me towards Icart point (near Saints Bay Hotel) never the less I followed it. Arrived at Saints Bay and thought this wasn't right.

I called the phone number on the Guernsey Treats voucher. I asked 'where is Dial a Pizza?' When he described it, it was Dawats. Now, had I known this, I wouldn't have ordered from there as I didn't like it last time. The ironic thing was is we drove past Dwat's on our journey, and I looked to see if Dwat's had changed to the new Dial a Pizza restaurant; it wasn't from first look. It wasn't until we arrived that the sign turned out to be an A4 sized poster with some tacky wordart.

But by now I just wanted to eat. So we arrived at Dawat's late (6:10pm) for it not to be ready!

We ended up waiting till 6:30pm till our pizza was ready (that's 45mins later than originally told). There was a gentlemen before us also waiting for a take away - he complained to their manager because he too had been waiting over an hour!

When we finally asked the manager how much longer it'll be he said, he didn't know. So we asked could we be compensated for the delay? He begrudgingly gave us some discount. He gave my wife two 50p's. That for me was a huge insult. Not even 10% discount with a drink.

Luckily the food arrived shorted after our shrapnel had been handed to us. We left with a bitter taste in our mouth before we had even eaten.

I haven't even mentioned the food yet, but like the terrible service, the pizza was no different. So for a 45min late pizza, the pizza base wasn't properly cooked and was doughy. The cheese was so greasy and inedible. My wife's Bolognese looked like it had come from a can. Also terrible. So a waste of time, money and effort.

I let you, the public to decide on this final note. A restaurant that boasts Indian food AND Italian food should be an instant indicator of lack of quality and identify.

1  Thank Franco L

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Best indian i've had on the island. I've been to many indian restaurants in the UK and Dawats restaurant matches any of them. Definitely the place to go or get a takeaway from for curries on the island. Not had the pizza yet but the rest of the food was delicious and friendly staff as well.

1  Thank andrew p
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Really lovely friendly staff. Went out of their way to make sure we had the best dining experience. Food was very nice. Will definitely be coming back.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Several dishes were missing from our takeaway which was also not ready when we were told it would be. The food that we did have was good.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We eat regularly at Dawat and have done so since it opened 10 plus years ago.

We have honestly never had a meal there that was not first class. The breads , the vegetable dishes and the mains are always cooked to perfection. The food is very reasonably priced and the service always quick.

The waiters are so nice , friendly and hardworking. Shafik and Muni ( excuse spelling) are fantastic at their job and we have never seen them without big smiles on their faces.

Highly recommend.