“Wow!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Having stayed at the hotel before we're not quite sure how it keeps getting better! Same amazing location and views but somehow the hotel itself seems even fresher and the service even better, not that we had any complaints last time! The menu is superb, we were happily working our way through it when we had to go home! I could write a whole essay on the wonderful cakes, all homemade and they taste as good as they look which I promise is no mean feat, we were working our way through those too actually! This hotel is a credit to the island, thank you for another wonderful stay.

2 Thank Jade B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The Jerbourg is located almost at the end of the road in St Martins, at the south-east corner of Guernsey, close to wonderful coastal walks but also conveniently within a short drive of both St Peter Port and the airport. It's a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with helpful staff. Overall I would say that it is good for its three stars.
On the down side, the breakfast should be better: when I stayed there the bacon was unappetising and the summer fruit compote tasted as though it might have fermented a bit. Reception on the room television/radio came and went: I was told this was due to the location of the hotel, which I appreciate, but it's a problem that needs to be solved.
Altogether though, it's a lovely place to spend a few days, and I'd certainly choose it again if I went back to Guernsey.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Neil M
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I come to Guernsey quite a bit on business, and I normally stay in a hotel in St Peter Port (I think I have stayed in all of them at one point or another). I don't normally write reviews as noone of them really impress me that much to actually sit down and write a review. I am making an exception for the Jerbourg. I decided to stay over the weekend and my family came over. I didn't want to stay in the hotel I was staying in town (OGH) as I don't think it is suitable for children, and also I didn't want to be stuck in town. I chose the Jerbourg and stayed in a family room.

As soon as we drove down Jerbourg point, where the hotel was, I knew I had made an excellent choice. The hotel is located at end of the road, and has amazing views over the cliffs. You might only be 5 mins from town, but it was like staying in a different country. The grounds are well kept, the food was phenomenal and the rooms (I think a lot of them were refurbished a few months ago, we did not experience any issues with the room) were perfect. Compared to the hotels in town, there is such a warm and relaxing atmosphere here, and the manager makes sure everyone is having a great stay and is very attentive. The hotel was busy so I recommend booking in advance, there was a few non-hotel guests there for afternoon tea (and I can't blame them, the cakes are the best in all of Guernsey). The rest of the food is really good too (the burger is to die for, I really recommend it). The staff is also really friendly and can't do too much for you (I can't believe the previous reviewer who said that the service wasn't good).

All in all this was a perfect stay with my family, and I have booked them again for my next weekend stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view, we had a newly renovated suite/family room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pcness
manchester
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife & I decided to have a few days away relaxing after a challenging first half of the year, and we decided on Guernsey and the hotel given to us was the Jerbourg near St Martins.
On arrival we were greeted pleasantly but were told our room wasn't available so we we had a coffee in the lounge area and sat down on the very comfortable Georgian chairs whilst waiting for the room.
When we got into the room we unpacked and then went for a walk in the village of St Martins to catch our bearings. The shopping area is only small but has everything you need including supermarkets, restaurants, hotels & banks.
On our walk round we came across several hotels that had been recommended to us for reasonable food (a) The Captain's hotel & (b) The Douvres which are very near to each other but very much off the beaten track - easy to get lost in the many narrow roads. We decided to book a table at the The Captain's and we had a great meal, then we went for a drink afterwards in the Douvres which was much quiter. We took a taxi both ways which cost approx £14 but this was definitely the best way to get there even though a bus route stops right out side the Captain's - a very hit and miss service unfortunately.
The room we stayed in at the Jerbourg was satisfactory but in our opinion it needed a bit of work to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. The lounge, restaurants & conservatory areas were excellent especially the lounge which had a very pleasant relaxing atmosphere to it at all times during the day / evening. Breakfast was taken in the large conservatory which is really nice place to eat and watch over the lovelly gardens & pool.
On our 2nd & 3rd nights at the hotel we ate in the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised with the standard of the food both off the bar snack & Ala Carte menu's and again this was backed up with the relaxing atmosphere. The lounge area went quiet after people had finished eating (non residents making up large proportion of diners) but this allowed us to sit in our favourite chairs.
We hired a car for 2 days and I would say, due to the hotels location & the sporadic bus service this is essential, plus it gives you the opportunity to visit the many picturesque location around the island, especially on the coast - Cobo Beach was one of our favourite places as the beach was lovelly and the rugged coastline was spectacular, as were many other areas.
During our stay we went on several of the coastal walks around St Martins and these offered us some breathtaking scenary and the chance to view the many different species of birds on the cliff tops and surronding outcrop of rocks. It was just a huge shame the wind was so stong, but at least if was sunny so we got clear views on these walks - not too strenous but definitely worth doing.
On our last night we visited the near by Auberge Restaurant (5 minutes walk) which had been strongly recommended and we had mixed feelings about the place. It was extremelely smart inside with the tables over-looking St Peter Port (Capital) and the harbour but unfortunately the food in our opinion didn't match the expensive price and even though the restaurant was almost full the atmosphere was lacking - nothing like the Jerbourg for atmosphere. So in our opinion ober rated restaurant which was full of too many Hew Har Henries.
We left early on the Saturday morning (7.30 an flight) but we were given a tray for breakfast the night before which contained cereal, juice, fruit & a slice of Gache (local fruit cake) which was good.
To sum up our stay on Guernsey we both agreed the islands appeal grew on us, especially once we had the car and could venture out. Also, the hotel & its appeal grew on us with everyone playing their part in amking this place a very special retreat for people to relax & enjoy themselves - it was a definite hit with us and would have no problems in recommending it to friends & Trip Advisor readers.

Room Tip: Look at previous Trip Advisor reviews to see if they recommend the better rooms.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed for a week after booking online. The area I think is the best in Guernsey with stunning sea views and some really spectacular coastal footpaths. The Jerbourg Point Area is the highest on the island, which gives it the stunning views.The peace and quiet are great, not too far off the beaten track. An extremely good bus service stops outside the hotel and runs every 20 minutes to St Peter Port.
The rooms are clean and adequate. The public areas are clean and have the charm of an older hotel. A recent refurb has brought the place up to a high standard.
The staff are all polite, friendly and very efficient. The food is of a very high standard, the pastries are fabulous!
The only gripe I would have is that the breakfast could be hotter.
This really is worth more than 3 stars.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget and don't want to slash out on the more expensive rooms, ask for room six...
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

A splendid hotel which we will recommend to our friends. We stayed in St Peter Port last year and found The Jerbourg and said if we returned to Guernsey we would love to try it. We did and it was great. The staff are lovely and nothing was too much trouble and the other guests were all nice and friendly. We took our car over and it was only a few minutes into town. We loved walking off the terrace straight onto the coastal path with views to Herm, Sark and Jersey.
The breakfasts were good and we had some evenings in, the bar snacks were good.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms. The up graded rooms are go, especially Fermain.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John P
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed a week at this hotel which is located on top of a cliff with views of the channel and some of the other Channel Islands. France can be seen on a clear day. The rocky shoreline is just gorgeous and the hotel is well situated for walking the cliff walk and, if one desires, taking the 300 steps to the Petite Port beach (at low tide only as the beach disappears at high tide.)

A newly organized bus route takes one into St. Peter Port and stops just outside the front door of the hotel. Guernsey is stunningly beautiful but driving is not so easy and parking is just about impossible, so the bus is a major plus.

Breakfast is served in a sun-lit room with entertainment provided by ducks in the pool, a pheasant pair trotting around in the yard calling to each other and birds flying around. Freshly-made croissants and gache (gosh) the traditional Guernsey bread are among the many items waiting for your enjoyment at breakfast. The food for the other meals is equally good and there are magnificent sweets, created by the chef and one of the staff in a case in the bar/lounge.

The staff, all of them, are friendly, helpful, pleasant, and interested in their guests. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. BTW don't miss the Guernsey Tapestry -- it is amazing!

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior room on the ground level -- no steps!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 9 in St Martins
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
#3 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Hotel Jerbourg? Share your experiences!