“Walking weekend”
Review of La Barbarie Hotel

La Barbarie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My four friends and husband and I booked the walking weekend, which the hotel organise, with bus passes, detailed routes and packed lunches, over the weekend of 7 - 9 October 2011. The accommodation in the hotel was first class and the service was excellent. After our day's walking we dined in the hotel restuarant on both nights, which was excellent. The belly pork was the best I have ever had!! I also requested a birthday cake and bottle of champagne for one of our friend's 50th birthday on the Friday evening and this was really well organised.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for La Barbarie Hotel

Reviewed 11 October 2011

I booked this hotel because having read the Guernsey Literacy and Potato Peelers Society book I didn't want to stay in the main town of St Peters Port. I was keen to soak up a bit of the atmosphere I imagined in the book and was pleasantly surprised. Coincidentally this hotel is in the middle of the area referred to in the book (I only found that out once staying there as the hotel was advertising a local ladies walking tours from the hotel reception area).
We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom apartments which was quite roomy and very suitable for our needs. The whole island can be tricky to navigate unless you master the bus timetable. There is a bus that comes to the corner of the hotel but only once an hour. If you miss it you need to walk 25 minutes to the main street. I recommend staying here though- walk down to the lane to the harbour( 10 minutes and down hill) to see the German Blockhouse and beautiful cliffs.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My wife and I have just come back from a two night stay, we had a fabulous romm - room 33.. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the food was superb with a good choice of freshley cooked choices for breakfast. We dined in the retaurant on the sunday evening and had the best fish i have had for a long time - scallops and brill.
The staff were attentive and nothing was to much trouble. Lovely position and very quiet,My wife even enjoyed the outdoor pool - the water was tepid - not bad for Ocober.

Room Tip: Room 33 overlooks the pool area. Very quiet Excellent facilities
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richardv8
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My husband and I have just come back from a two night stay, we had a suite and ate halfboard. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the food lovely,the staff are faultless cant do enough for you. Lovely position and very quiet, we both had a superb 3 days, thank you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My friend and I stayed at La Barbarie for 7days days towards the end of August. We opted for a two bedroom apartment and half board. The apartment was spacious, very comfortable, fully equipped and overlooked the swimming pool. The food was always excellent - breakfast with a very wide choice and dinners which can only be described as sumptuous. The location, (and with a bus stop at the corner which made it easy to get around without a car), was excellent. We were highly impressed with the standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel. In our opinion, however, the outstanding memory of our stay is the staff at every level - at reception, in the bar and the dining room who did evrything to make our week truly memorable. We would happily recommend La Barbarie to friends and family and look forward to many return visits in the future.

Room Tip: Would definately recommend the apartments
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at La Barbarie for 7 days at the end of September 2011 on a bed and breakfast basis. The food was so good that we virtually changed to half board and dined in the restaurant on most evenings. The staff throughout the hotel were attentive, helpful, cheerful and efficient. The cleanliness throughout the hotel was first class and the bedroom was particularly well maintained. It was a pleasure to stay there and I would not hesitate to return at an early opportunity and at the same time recommend the stay to others.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The food in their resturant was excellent. The a la carte menu was both comprehensive and interesting. The Table D'Hote menu was changed everyday and was superb value - giving a good choice of courses - all the meals that I, and my partner had, were delicious. Breakfasts were excellent too and with a superb choice. I cannot fault the food at all although I think that the resturant would benefit from air conditioning. ALL the staff were friendly, efficient ,very eager to be of help and always ready with a smile. The accomodation was clean, very comfortable and well appointed. As someone who has travelled quite a bit, in my time ,and has experience of hotels of all types, I would have absolutely no hestitaion in recommending the La Barbarie Hotel. Give them a try - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Le Friquet Country Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to La Barbarie Hotel? Share your experiences!