“Holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in St Martins
Littlehampton
“Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Booked via Islands Holidays we found a interesting house with comfortable furnishings, not modern but classic, of good design, with little places for various people to sit and have different experiences. Food and breakfast I could not fault, in fact I liked the kind of dry cooked bacon, no oil or fat swilling around. The bedroom had plenty of storage, the beds glistening white linen invited you in! All the usual features of tea tray, tv if wanted. The staff were incredible, running around. Neat little pool in an area that was a sun trap all afternoon, plenty of space around to relax + unwind. I would imagine its a 3 star because there is no lift! We loved it, met new people, folk club visited etc. I could go on!!! See for yourself! You might see me there too as I'd definitely go again...

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony are appealing..
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CarolHart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reading, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

If you like quaint, rustic and tucked out of the way this is the place for you. Down scary, narrow lanes. We changed our minds about hiring a car as the number 81 bus stops right outside and we didn't fancy chancing the road home. We had a very near miss on the bus. The drivers must have nerves of steel! Not happy about finding out the locals pay £1 and tourists are charged exactly double though!
We booked bed and breakfast at Les Douvres. Our room was number 2 on the ground floor.
Newly refurbished with brand new shower room. Very clean with white towels which were changed daily. The room was a bit small but had all you needed. Hair dryer, tea making facilities and television.
The bed was a big double, two big single mattresses. Quite comfy.
Breakfast was cooked to order but be careful as when my husband asked for bacon, sausage, egg and tomato he got 1 rasher, half a tomato, 1 sausage and scrambled egg on a huge plate.
Cereal, fresh fruit salad, croissants,toast,yoghurts, ham and cheese was all available.
Lunch is available and dinner also. The food we had was good.
The major problem was with flies, they were crawling all over the uncovered food at breakfast also you were constantly swatting them away from the table, not nice. We did ask staff if they could spray the room with fly killer but if they did it didn't help.
The staff were brilliant, cheery and helpful.
The hotel dates back to 1274 it has had bits added on, it creaks and groans like a ship. The clientele are mostly older couples so all the noise from bar and restaurant stops at about 11 pm.
We slept well.
There is a pool but even though we were told it was heated you had to be pretty hardy to chance it. The few who did said it was a bit icy. The overall impression of this hotel is that it is trying hard,I think hiring and keeping staff is a concern, not that they are bad employers but that there are plenty of jobs on Guernsey so staff go after better and better pay. It is a bit frowsy, dark and dingy. The management have decided that is how they want it.
My sister stayed in room number 12 which is in the old part, a quirky shaped room bigger than mine but I haven't seen an avocado coloured bathroom since the 60s. Her shower couldn't be regulated so she had to have a bath instead. The cleaning staff do stirling work. The bar staff are friendly. All the rest are helpful and polite. All go beyond their remit.
Would I go back? I don't think so. It's a bit remote for me. The walks a bit too strenuous. A bit too rustic. I like a bit of luxury.

Room Tip: Number 2 is a bit tight but more modern. On the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eve W
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I really liked the hotel- but I like antique furniture - and the weather was beautiful. It was wonderfully peaceful, there seems to be no noise pollution at all in St Martins, and the hotel is situated very close to some lovely steep walks down to the sea. My room, which overlooked the lovely little pool, was large, very clean, comfortable and everything worked well. The bath edge might frighten people that don't understand that a chip out of a real steel and enamel bath looks rather alarming but it certainly isn't dirt. The breakfast was fine but I burnt my finger on the rolling toaster- which is something of a hazard as it doesn't allow you to feed the bread in easily, the receptionist/waitress was able to offer me a plaster and/or a trip to the hospital but this was certainly not needed...a tube of Savlon in the first aid box would help though! I thought the pricing was very appropriate especially in July and I would certainly visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Les Douvres advertises itself as a 3 star hotel. I believe this could be questionable based on the level of comfort, decor and facilities. The pricing structure is on a per person per night basis, which for June occupancy commands a price of £108 per double room (2 persons) on a B&B tariff. I believe this is a high price considering the state of the rooms, the decor and the very ‘tired’ furniture. From the 2 windows in my room, only one opened to allow ventilation, 2 of the window panes were cracked and the windows looked as though they had been painted by a 7 year old, definitely should of used ‘Frog Tape’ to prevent ‘paint bleed’ !
The built-in wardrobe looked like a self-build effort, and not a very good one, lopsided doors that would not close singly, but had to be closed together, very amateurish. The remainder of the in-room furniture looked very tired, worn and somewhat damaged. Maybe this was all meant to add to the ‘ambiance’ of the hotel, did nothing for me. The shower although functional, had weak water pressure – would benefit greatly from a power shower.
The hotel employs professional Chefs who produce excellent meals for an interesting Dinner menu. Having eaten dinner there I enjoyed it. Sadly this did not apply to the breakfast meal, very fatty streaky bacon which was consistently under-cooked. Sausages which seem to of been ‘warmed through’ but not actually cooked, food arriving at the table not particularly ‘warm’ and food debris from the previous night’s meal still on the floor under the breakfast table. I believe the management should take a long hard look at what they are producing and serving for the breakfast meal and instill ‘quality control’ measures to the breakfast chef’s output.
A lot of room for improvement!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wiltspolo7
IIW, Owner at Les Douvres Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Still renovating, you experienced one of our retro rooms! Avocado bathrooms are a little Like flared trousers but sadly they will never be back in fashion. We are 50% through our renovation programme and all will be completed shortly (banks permitting). In the meantime we do offer a lower rate for the unrenovated rooms unless you are into afghans and flowers in your hair, in which case you pay extra!
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My fiancé and I have recently returned from a four night stay at this hotel and were delighted with the hotel. If you are looking for state of the art, modern, aluminium and plastic then this is not the hotel for you. But if you want somewhere romantic, with antique furniture and a comfy feel good factor then we can highly recommend Les Douvres. The staff without exception were great, very friendly and helpful. Our room was a tad "tired" but clean and well presented and just what we wanted. The food in the restaurant was of exceptionally high standard and we enjoyed the evening candlelit dinners when we ate in . If we had any negative points it was that beer was a further £2.00 more per pint than we pay on the mainland but hey - we were on holiday and so coped with the increase - and it was a particularly lovely draught guest ale. All in all and very good hotel and we shall return. The staff will remember Herbert my "pet" Hedgehog who made a few appearances!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Perryman57
Hillsborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Having stayed in various hotels throughout Guernsey, over a number of years, and paying the ever rising costs for B&B it was extremely pleasant to find this beautiful old world hotel, but with very modern bedrooms, at a realistic price. My first meeting, back in February, was with the Manageress, Sandra who could not have been more helpful and kindly showed me round the hotel, explained that they were in the middle of refurbishment. When I arrived for my stay in May, she had been true to her word and I was shown to a beautiful room, overlooking the gardens and with the pool discreetly hidden from the bedroom by hedgerows. Again, almost everything the business traveller requires including a very comfortable bed, the only thing I felt missing in the room was a trouser press facility but the ironing board was quickly supplied! The Chef is Italian and I certainly hope they do not loose him. I was lucky to have him on duty during my stay, for all meals, very worthwhile. No need to leave this hotel in the evening, the food for starters plus a lovely, old world, bar area is the key to staying in. If you do need to walk of your evening meal there are plenty of quite country lanes round the hotel for a quick stroll, then back for a nightcap and a wonderfully quiet night's sleep. Sandra's staff are efficient, polite, friendly and with a quick word and a warm smile for all their guests. I look forward to my next trip, which all being well will be in October. I would happily recommend this hotel to all business people, working to a budget but still wanting value for money. This exquisite hide away offers it all!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LMCAgencies
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel back in October last year, and received an email following a request for a double room, stating that a double would be given to us on arrival. However, on arrival at the hotel we were shown to a large groundfloor bedroom with two singles! Not a good start, but the staff were lovely and we were only staying for four nights, so I didn't say anything.
The room was freezing cold during the day with only one heater to warm the room when it came on at 5pm! We had to make use of the spare blankets which were available in the wardrobe.
The bath in the ensuite could only be filled by using the shower attatchment and the toilet flush was really hit and miss!, as was the general cleanliness of the bathroom fittings..
The breakfast was lovely, and the staff attentive
We have been looking forward to this break and although the staff were friendly and helpful,it doesnt detract from the fact that the hotel room was not up to 3 star standard, and at a time when the channel islands were so cold it would make sense to ensure that guests are warm and comfortable in their rooms.

Room Tip: Our room was cold on ground floor but other guests were having same problem elsewhere with cold room...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave B
IIW, Owner at Les Douvres Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear David & Angela
Apologies for your experience but I think the unseasonal weather did not help! It is very unusual to experience cold weather at this time of year. We were also just completing refurbishment of a number of rooms which undoubtedly contributed to the situation. These are all now remedied and we hope, as you indicated whilst here, that you will return and enjoy a more comfortable stay in somewhat more clement weather !
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Martins
#1 of 19 in St Peter Port
Wayside Cheer Hotel
Wayside Cheer Hotel
#4 of 6 in Castel

Been to Les Douvres Hotel? Share your experiences!