“The worst room in the B&B”
Review of St Georges

St Georges
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in St. George's on a number of occasions. There are many attractive features to this popular Guest House. The free wifi, the books to read and the outstanding breakfasts . The one problem is the owner's guest relations. This is a new venture for her having previously been the manager. There is clearly a programme of improvements as evidenced by the upgraded dining room and new beds in some of the rooms. However, to be told that one is in the worst room and the second worst room in the B&B is not a good customer relations ploy. Whilst acknowledging that this place is good value for money, to be reminded that people living on Guernsey put up with worse is again foolish from a customer's point of view. A bit more tongue biting on behalf of management could move this B&B from good to excellent . Avoid room 18

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Wellie40

ok
I disagree with what you put on trip advisor site, I did not say your guest had the worse room. At the time we were talking about the renovations I had been doing and what I actually said was when the hotel inspector came I showed her the worse rooms to get her advice, (as they are very knowledgeable) Your guest then jumped on that remark and said her bathroom was very small.
To which I said I had taken the hotel inspector into that room and asked her about the bath room and she said that it was a standard double room, and I was selling it at a standard double price, the bathroom measurements were over the size of the minimum and that she had seen much worse bathrooms than ours, bathrooms made out waldrobes etc.

What I actually think is the problem is cultural, in Guernsey we are a small Island we have small rooms and small homes. Where as if you live abroad such as Australia and N.Zealnad in a place where you can afford vast amount of space then your expectations are higher.

And I am sorry if that offended you as you have been good guests and friendly over the years,
But you know we are just doing our best and when your guest complains about her room size and the neighbouring room, when no-one else is complaining, in a fully booked guest house well, there is a limit to what I can do.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed for 9 days owners vey helpful.....even though we arrived a day early they sorted it out.nice clean rooms good size.breakfast excellent choice and quality.....freshly cooked and available from early each day.great position for town just a short walk in.beautiful views over the sea.
Could not fault our stay at all....really good value.

2  Thank stejancox

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We had an upstairs room with a view over the sea. Could not have been more picturesque. The whole place was very, very clean and fresh. There were plenty of tourism brochures and the staff were helpful in planning our sightseeing. It is easily within walking distance of the town. We really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a room with a sea view
3  Thank wildfrog85

We at St Georges really appreciate your kind review

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed here with my husband and parents, so got to see two versions of the rooms. Our's was upstairs, and a bit smaller, but was clean and the bathroom was renovated. It even had a heated towel rack which was a nice plus. My parents had a room next to the front door, which had a lovely bay window and bathroom with extra finishes and decorations. The breakfast was huge, with additional choice of meats, cheeses, and cereals if the full English breakfast wasn't enough for you (which it was!). It's in a good central location and the center of town is a short walk away. Wifi was only available in the main lobby. I would recommend trying to not have a ground floor room facing the main street. My parent found that other guests would congregate right outside the front door for a cigarette, and there is nothing to keep them from standing right outside the bay window of their room on the ground floor. It's a small annoyance though as everything else was great.

Room Tip: Try not to get the ground floor room facing the street as it can be noisy.
1  Thank nimen_hao
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you for your review, much appreciated.

Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed at St George's for two nights, and had a very comfortable stay. The staff were friendly, the room was good and the breakfast was delicious! It's a short walk from the town centre and good value for money. There are also useful services such as handy top-ups of bathroom products and tea/coffee located in the corridors, and a left luggage service after you check out. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Katie H

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed there in the week leading to Liberation day, my wife and I in a very nice and clean double with an outlook over the road to the bay and Herm. My Wife's sister had a single room with not such a nice outlook to the rear of the property. The staff were very friendly and the whole place was clean and bright. The rooms and beds were comfortable. The en suite was not large and the shower cubical rather tiny but was serviceable. A nice touch was when the staff made us aware of times that they would be under pressure for breakfast, a large group with a flight/ferry to catch all descending at once. We were able to adjust our visit to the breakfast room accordingly. You should be aware that it is a reasonable walk into to the centre of St Peter Port and may be a fit far so some but it is level and paved. The stroll along the front was enjoyable but the walk back at night was more of a chore.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view but if you like your windows open at night you want to forego the view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Reviewed 26 February 2013

We had a room on the top floor. It was rather small and Wifi access was poor to non-existing. The rooms were clean though. The dining room was too small for the number of guests. Breakfast was allright.
I was not impressed with the service...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mario B
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Thank you for review.
Sorry I do not remember who you are or what time of year you came so I can only answer in a general manner.

The wifi so far since I bought the business in August 2012 I have spent £700.00 and got a new provider with high speed internet , this has made the situation marginally better, unfortunately we are in a granite building and the wifi is diffused by the granite, on an Island made of Granite with a service in Guernsey which is not as good as the mainland. I will be trying another options as funds allow and as the providers improve their services.

Regarding service I have spoken to Visit Guernsey Hotel Inspector regarding this subject and this is what she said to me. We could either increase our tariff significantly (as she believes we under charge for what we do already) and take on more staff and provide more services. Or we carry on as we are with the tariff set for budget holidays and not worry about what people say regarding our service because our web site clearly states that we are a small family run business and do not provide services, just bed and breakfast, therefore, it is not our fault if guests fail to research their holiday adequately. Her words............

Breakfast dining room, there is seating for 40 people and we take a maximum of 42, Not every one comes down at the same time and not every one has breakfast. Breakfast times are 6.30-9.00 but if you are staying when we have alot of continental guests here then what generally happens is they come down at the very last minute. That is the only thing I can think happened to you. Once again there are pictures of our dining room on face book and on tripadvisor.

Room sizes, I don't actually think our rooms are small compared to other accomodation on Guernsey, infact the landlady from a nearby establishment came to view our rooms only last week and commented that ours are larger than hers. Also there are many pictures of our rooms and the top room you stayed in on the tripadvisor site so I can only leave that for others to judge. Size is relative to what you are used too and what country you come from.

Regarding cleanliness we were given a 5* rating for cleanliness in our last Inspection, so thank you for bringing that to attention. Our aim is to provide a budget price clean accomodation for travellers who want bed and breakfast.
Services are the remit of hotels and not for bed and breakfast Guest houses. In Hotels you pay for staff to serve your table and have a dedicated reception to order taxis etc. Here there is usually just the three of us working full time doing everything. Information that you need about Guernsey and the day to day running of the Guest house is clearly written in the book that is usually on your bed side table in your room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Wayside Cheer Hotel
Wayside Cheer Hotel
#4 of 6 in Castel

Been to St Georges? Share your experiences!