“We were disappointed we couldn't stay here ... as double booked!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Foresters' Arms

Foresters' Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Peter Port
Foresters' Arms
Newquay, United Kingdom
“We were disappointed we couldn't stay here ... as double booked!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Well, we didn't actually stay here because when we arrived at 8am on 31 August, we were told by Linda that she did not have any record of our booking! I reminded her of our telephone conversation several months earlier when I had booked the double room and twin room for myself and my family and she had confirmed the cost of £600, but, oh no, oh dear, she was in a flap when she realised she had let the rooms to someone else! However, I would say she did make arrangements for us to stay elsewhere and we were very pleased with the accommodation a little up the hill at Les Cotils and she did pay for the taxi up there. Linda also offered us a meal to make up for our inconvenience and disappointment. We would have loved to stay at the Foresters Arms; it looks like a nice place and has good reviews but would be nervous about booking just by telephone in future; I would suggest that in order to avoid other peoples' disappointment in the future, she amends her booking procedures.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Julie F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We booked our stay at the Foresters Arms after reading the other reviews then hoped to goodness it was as good as it said. We were not disappointed at all. We arrived on a Saturday evening after the kitchen had closed and while the evenings bar entertainment was being organised but that didn't stop Linda from cooking us a meal... and wow, what a meal it was! Good honest pub grub but home made and of good quality and loads of it. It's a locals pub which is quiet throughout the week but then the locals come in on a Saturday night and have a good old sing song or something equally as entertaining. I would challenge the hungriest of people to finish the enormous breakfast each day of thier stay. My husband managed it on the first morning but then opted for a smaller version. We will be visiting the Forrester again and will continue to recomment it to others. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Frenchie S
Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Hotel is a 5 minute walk along the prom to Town Centre, nice pub atmosphere, and good ales. My business activity only allowed me one full english breakfast as I had to be out and about before God had laid the streets for the day It was generous and good quality.
Staff extremely helpful and Lynne the landlady knocked my socks off by solving a logistics problem I had experienced - well above and beyond the call of duty, and on Sunday even when the pub is closed to the public, and Lynne's day off.
Room good size, twin beds, enough hot water and soft towels, and even though I was overlooking the main road, there was little or no noise. Very enjoyable stay, and when I return to Guernsey this will be my first port of call for sure. No WIFI but you can get some signal from the neighbours if you search a bit.

A big thanks to Lynne and the Bar staff

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank zapata9
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

I sayed here with my family years ago and its an absolute gem of a place.
Linda who runs the place is an excellent host and our stays have always been memorable thans to her excellent breakfasts and warm and genuine interest inmaking her guests stay a en enjoyable one.
best things about the place.
Value for money
Fantastic location
What a Pub and B&B used to be like

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lido8585
NORFOLK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

My husband and I were planning a budget holiday to Guernsey, and after reading the "Fly by Knight" review, decided to give the Foresters Arms a try. We spent 8 days and had a most enjoyable, memorable stay. We can only endorse the previous review, and agree that it is "a little, overlooked gem", on the esplanade of St Peters Port. The bus stop for the 7 & 7a bus, that goes right around the island and to and from the airport, is literally outside the door. The harbour (ferryport) and town centre is only a few mins. walk away. The views from the bedroom window are absolutely stunning...the only downside can be the noise from the traffic at times, but one soon gets used to this... and is a small price to pay for a superb location! Linda and Paddy are excellent hosts...and the food is of the best. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we found the hosts always to be friendly and helpful. We would have no hesitation in recommending the pub/ b&b..it is.excellent value for money and very convenient. Thank you Linda and Paddy for a memorable visit...hope to be back sometime! From the 2 S.Africans!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BOEREMEISIENORFOLK
Exxmouth in Devon, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2008

I wanted a cheap break in Guernsey, and found this little time-warp gem in St Peter Port.

The Forrester's Arms is easily found by walking for ten minutes or less north along the seafront from the bus station - reached for a very reasonable 60p from the airport on service No. 7A. "A" for anti-clockwise, No. 7 buses circulate the island each way.

This is a pub with accomodation rather than a hotel, and is run (since 1979) by a charming lady called Linda, with her partner. There are few rooms, and from the guest book, they aren't that heavily booked either, which means a lot of people who could have a great deal aren't getting one.

This is an old-fashioned pub - saloon bar with pool table and separate lounge, and caters for the most part for locals. The bar menu was chalked up in the 1970's, and has not changed since. The same comment could be applied to the chair and seat covers, the whole thing having a worn, though comfortable air about it. Food-wise it is certainly possible to fill up well, and cheaply, albeit witha fair colesterol content for less than £6. Easy, convenient, quick, and still under a tenner with a couple of pints.

My room, a double with twin beds, shower and toilet, was comfortable, clean, and with appalling decor, in varying shades of red. Red walls, bed linen, carpet. Red chairs to sit on. And a picture of a galleon in full sail on the wall. Starck this is not, but who cares what the decor is when you are asleep? The shower was good hot and copious, and a T.V. coughed up the weather forecast - pretty much all I want to see on holiday.

As well as a key to the room, I was given a key to the outer door - essential as the pub is shut to the public on a Sunday - though breakfast was still supplied. And what a breakfast! After a couple of days of struggling through a huge and comprehensive traditional English fry-up, I took mercy on my struggling arteries and threatened waistline, and asked for a half-portion. This kept me going happily to supper-time....

Now to cost. I was charged £30/night B&B for single occupancy of a double room, and thought this to be really good value for money. I could have stayed elsewhere for more cost, but frankly, what could I have gained? Better decor? Probably. Nicer people? Unlikely. Better location? Not really - the views are straight across the Bay, and it really is just a few minutes to the centre of town. The only downside I guess is that the road is quite busy, and noisy. Doesn't bother me, but if total peace and quiet is your thing, look elsewhere.

In summary, a good, honest, straightforward great value for money way to stay in Guernsey. If I returned, I would not, judging by the guest-book, be the first returnee by a long chalk - and this is always a good sign. Recommended.

• Liked — Warm, comfortable feel about it.
  • Disliked — Decor a bit iffy - but not a key issue for me.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18 Thank Fly-by-Knight