“Excellent tour”

Victor Hugo Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 139 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife wanted to visit Victor Hugo's house, so I tagged along for the a quiet life, but I was blown away.

The house looks pretty unpresupposing from the outside, it's certainly no stately home, but once inside the excellent French guides show you around a house which exudes the personality of its former owner.

I won't say too much, except to say that you really should have a tour of Victor Hugo's house if you've time in St Peter Port as it was an unexpected highlight of our holiday for me and I know my wife enjoyed the tour too (my 17 year old son opted to wait in reception, grateful for some shade on a very hot day).

The garden is attractive too, although much less quirky, affording views over the sea and the exterior of the house.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I used to like this place and have been half a dozen times or so, but won't be returning for some time. The food is generally good, but the service here I find appalling. Never get offered a glass with a drink and this last time I asked for some ice as the cans of drink were warm, to be told they did not do ice. What restaurant/cafe can't provide ice!? Upon asking for a glass, it had clearly come straight from the dishwasher as it was nearly untouchable it was so hot. All this with zero smiles. This isn't the first time, and seems to me like the staff in this place are not happy. Or maybe I'm just unlucky, but then again that's three times in a row now that the service has been poor.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Well what an amazing place, we weren't sure we could get in as it is guided tour only but they let us in with a guide all to ourselves, this was good as to get there we had to walk up quite a steep hill but boy was it worth it.
The fee was just £7.00 each and well worth it the young guide was knowledgeable and interesting the house itself is stunning and bizarre all at the same time with no two rooms the same. The views from the windows to the rear were to die for and some of the quirky features of the house were really unusual, we came away and found ourselves grinning because it had been such a nice visit

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Myself and my partner booked into the restaurant as a last minute treat.

Upon arrival, although the restaurant did not have a dresscode, we were made to feel uncomfortable about dining in our evening outfits (these were a dress and smart jeans and top).

When we turned up for our designated booking, we were informed that they were not expecting any more diners, although we had booked through the Reception of the hotel 2 hours prior to dining.

After being reluctantly seated, we ordered our meals and starters which were nice - I had the goats cheese.

For mains, my partner chose the lamb dish and asked for it to be cooked rare; it came out over done therefore he did not enjoy it as much as he could have. I chose the mussels, which I must say, were the highlight of my evening as they were exquisite!

Unfortunately, to say the least, our desserts came out unedible with the Peanut Butter Parfait being unprepared as it was frozen solid to the point where we could not cut into it with the cutlery provided and the chocolate fondant was presented overcooked and burnt; both desserts had to be left barely touched.

Throughout our meal we had to listen to an awful choice of music, something with a bit more class would have gone down better!

We were sadly dissapointed with our visit which has put us off wanting to visit again even though there have been several people who have said they enjoyed their experience!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Enjoyed a delicious pastry and lovely coffee in this great little french themed cafe. Only thing that lets it down is the lack of fresh air. It was quite stuffy and far too warm.