“Lovely quiet place, basic but no mod cons”

and 1 more site!
Les Cotils Christian Retreat
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I have stayed here for the last 3 years twice a year. I have always found the staff friendly and inviting and even chatty at times. I stay in both February and October as part of a working business trip for a week at a time. Rooms are always clean and tidy and smell nice, I've never experienced any problems with the cleanliness of the en suite bathroom although most rooms only have a shower I was only lucky enough once to have both a shower and a bath even though the rooms are same money, perhaps you could request this if you wish, I'm not too bothered though. Only let downs are that tea and coffee facilities are shared, there's is no proper kitchen facilities, not even a microwave. I'm quite a fussy eater so don't both to eat in the restaurant so have opted to get a take out a few times but always struggle to find any plates and cutlery, I can't even do a piece of toast as there is no toaster either. Very basic and disappointing when you are hungry. No TV's in the room which is a shame. The other may let down for me is that they say they offer free Internet but I have never been able to get a wireless connection from the rooms, and I have stayed in all areas of the place. I have to come downstairs to te lounge area in order to get wireless, these days with mobile phones relying a lot on an Internet connection I think this should definitely be looked into so that you can receive a connection from all rooms. The lounge has a TV and are always comfortable and warm and I often stay up late and the staff make me feel welcome and just ask me to turn the lights off myself which I obviously respect. I just feel that the rooms are very expensive compared to what they used to be and I don't really have any choice of other places to stay as my work is literally best to the Le Cotils so I still pay to stay. Apparently new management have taken over and this clearly shows but mainly only reflected in the price. All that said, I hope you don't let any of what I have said stop you from staying here as long as you can afford it. I'm back again in October so alls good.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank MrDynamiteDance

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed for six nights and we had a sea facing suite. The room was basic but comfortable and clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful. My wife is vegetarian and when we told the staff the chef came out to see what she would like for dinner that evening. The food is good and with the dinner bed and breakfast very reasonable. It is a walk up the hill form town, but easier than trying to park!
I would recommend the hotel for quiet couples who are not looking for a vibrant lively hotel. This is to be expected as it is a Christian Centre.
I would come back to this hotel when staying in Guernsey.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bazzerman
Reviewed 18 June 2013

It's not comfortable to criticise this Christian centre - perhaps there's the key, it's run as a "centre" more than as an hotel to my mind. The hotel is within easy reach of town, max. 10min walk, but be prepared for the hills - that's St. Peter Port!
We booked what turned out to be the last room with a sea view, a twin. There is a truly magnificent view from the hotel grounds and some windows overlooking the channel and other islands, but ours was viewable only by crouching down! The twin turned out to be a very small ensuite room indeed, bare walls and just room to move between the two beds which were against the opposing walls. There was a vanity mirror above a "dressing table" in the darkest corner of the room but no light above it. One single socket within reach. The bathroom didn't fare any better - there was insufficient power in the water to maintain a flow through the shower head, so bathwater ran very slowly indeed. I suspect they knew this by mounting the shower bracket at bath edge height and by not providing a shower curtain! There were however complimentary shower and bath gels provided.
Regrettably, for all this last week we had to pay a whacking £90+ per night for the room and breakfast! On a positive note, the breakfast was fine! A small choice of cereals and fresh fruit, yoghurts etc., and standard English cooked, all on a serve yourself buffet basis.
My feeling is that even as a retreat, if you are to be charged this level, life should be more "comfortable" and they would do well to reflect on sharpening up the guest experience.

Room Tip: I could not envisage any noise factors here! Yes they cater for parties but I would feel sure these...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Colin0350
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Les Cotils is a very beautiful building set within landscaped grounds and has some of the best views of St Peter Port you could ever wish for. The staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable and the catering is excellent - nothing is too much trouble. If you are hosting an event then this could be just the venue for you. Great for business gatherings and also for chill out afternoon teas/lunches and even some rather interesting dinner events. Try it - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My son kept his wedding reception there. It was fantastic, all friends back home were very impressed and so were we. Rooms clean and tidy, ok not the Ritz but staff very welcoming. Few minutes walk into town, bit longer back (its uphill). Plenty of parking. Great week

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandra26081959
Reviewed 16 April 2013

A terrific place - we stayed as part of a large group for four nights, and had consistently superb food and unbeatable service from all the staff. You can't improve on the views either, and the grounds are extensive and beautifully kept.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ca104
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Keep it secret. This has got to be the best quality food for the price on the Island. Oh and they throw in a wonderful view free of charge. Situated above the port (walkable) back down, the location is excellent. Staff are 5* quality, know what they are doing and the food really is exceptional value for money. Bottles of wine well below expected prices. The only let down is that other drinks are served from cans!

• Stayed: January 2013