“disappointing.....not as expected”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“disappointing.....not as expected”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here on my wedding night and was underwhelmed.

We booked a Junior Suite with a hot tub expecting it to be private.....its not! you are meters away from next doors' hot tub and only seperated by a wooden criss-crossed wooden fence that you can see through. You may aswell save your money, book a standard room (which ours may aswell have been) and go to the Spa's Jacuzzi, where you may have more privacy!

The day before our stay, I had arranged for some gifts to be left in our room for my new husband. These were not in the room when we got there. I ended up in reception in my wedding dress (!) having to find out where exactly the presents had been delivered too. NOT how I wanted to spend my first hours as a newlywed.

We have been compensated for this but the damage was done. If I had organised things at the last minute or we had checked in early, I would be a bit more undertstanding but I had planned it to be in the 'Suite' (I use this term loosely) for when we checked in as it was to be my first gift to my husband as his wife.

The Room, what can i say??!.....definition of SUITE: A suite in a hotel or other public accommodation denotes a class of luxury accommodations, the key feature of which is multiple rooms.

This was not the case, unless the bathroom is classed as another room. The 'suite' was just a room with a double bed, a sofa and a TV. Had I wanted this, we would have saved our money and booked a standard room.

The staff we dealt with were friendly and polite which was the only thing I can really praise.

Room Tip: Suites are only one room, hot tubs are overlooked and the fence is see through so you can see your n...
1 Thank JENNIFERLELACHEUR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Josselin, France
Reviewed 26 April 2014

A very nice hotel, very friendly and welcoming.. The room was extremely comfortable and equipped to a very high standard. Sadly the wi-fi was very limited in the room. We ate in the restaurant one evening and the service and food quality was extremely high and the staff were very attentive. The pool and sauna/jacuzzi were free to guests and again reached a high standard.
This is a very good 4 Star hotel, and we had a great anniversary weekend
Thanks everyone

Room Tip: Our room had a lovely view over their lake and fountain (and Duck House!)
1 Thank Geri D
London
Reviewed 23 April 2014

First of all - free car hire was offered for a duration of our stay! How cool is that?

I wish this place could be not in Guernsey, but somewhere an hour drive from us. Wonderful staff at reception and breakfast (hello, fellow Latvians), lovely pool and sauna, good size room with a beautiful lake view, great breakfast! Even quick dinner on arrival in the bar was delicious and freshly made, not to mention enormous size of the dishes.

One tiny improvement area, which might not be important for most people is that steam room walls need refreshing as paint has now cracked. I would suggest to invest in proper tiles. However, it was the strongest and warmest steam room I have been to in a while, so I enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: Ask about the free car hire offer, might be still on.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
North, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Read their blurb and believe it .
Exactly as described .
Breakfast very good and a wide selection to choose from.
Rooms exactly as described ,
Not right by the sea ( but it says that)
Small balcony ( but it says that).
Staff are efficient and helpful ).
Pool and jacuzzi lovely ( robes and towels at no extra cost ) .
Bus stops close by ( £2 a ride unless you say you are local in which case £1! . Outrageous for an island that relies on tourism ).
We didn't eat an evening meal here so can't comment on that (fortunate enough to have relatives on the Island who looked after us for that )
Good gardens with play area in a safe environment ( but big lake if you've young kids).
Corporate , not quirky at all but it is exactly as described and we will return

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just back from a business trip here.
Lucky enough to be upgraded on arrival, but I'm sure even the regular rooms will be very nice. Had a few nice touches in the bedroom, nespresso coffee maker, large tv, confy bed, good toiletries etc. The grounds are pretty and the interior all clean and well maintained. Enjoyed breakfast next morning and unfortunately had to move on, would of liked to of stayed longer. All in all, good choice for a short break or a mini holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights.

The pluses: staff helpful and pleasant
Room comfortable
Bathroom large with plenty of space to lay out toiletries etc. Very unusual.
Plenty of hanging and drawer space
Very clean bedroom and bathroom
Reliable free wifi in room

The minuses:
Unusable safe - on the floor in the wardrobe so one needs to be on hands
and knees to use it. Not very OAP friendly.
As mentioned previously, tiny balcony. Only one person can squeeze onto it.

On the whole the food was good, especially the breakfasts. We attended quite a large
function and the food was a bit hit and miss.

Although it is possible to walk down into St Peter Port it is quite a long walk down a main road, with a pavement on only one side of it for much of the way. Bus stop a short distance from
the hotel though. Car hire can be arranged and there is a large car park.
I imagine it would be good for families.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandiemac
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Thought I would treat myself and stay at one of the best local hotels on the Island. Food always exceptional and service always great.

Great value for such good service.

Lovely grounds and spa. Shame I didn't take my clubs.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 19 in St Peter Port
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#4 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!