“The devil is in the detail”

St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We have just revisited St Pierre Park after giving it a miss for a number of years, because we had heard it had undergone a major overhaul and achieved a number of improvements. Overall, that is true. The decor is now attractive, it is scrupulously clean and the breakfast - setting, food and service - must be the best on the island. However, for a four star hotel there are a number of disappointments. The bedroom's lovely view was fine, but the beds were rather hard and the pillows even more so; there was no minibar, security safe, beach-wrap or slippers; the chamber-maid seemed rather surly, perhaps disorientated with her rather limited English; nor is the sound-proofing very good, either from adjacent rooms or from public rooms which had dinner-dances on two consecutive nights. Their vaunted Victor Hugo restaurant was no better than we remembered it: an unremarkable menu, appallingly poor service and high prices; it should learn from the competition in St Peter Port, especially from La Nautique and The Absolute End. Overall our 4-night stay was enjoyable but I doubt if we will be going there again. We love Guernsey and only hope that La Grande Mare Hotel on the West Coast gets back on to the form that we fondly remember.
Cato

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front, with no view (car park) or quiet (main road); those with balconies overloo...
1  Thank David G

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We, a group of three couples, stayed here for four nights in May 2014. Our rooms on the topmost (second) floor were clean and well equipped, notably with what looked like a recently renovated bathroom and a well stocked tea/coffee etc tray.

Foodwise the buffet breakfast was good; and there were several items available to order. For dinner there was the Victor Hugo restaurant where the food was good but the service rather slow, especially given that the place was not that busy.

Alternatively there was the Pavilion Restaurant, a separately run business, Things ran more efficiently there.

On two nights we ate in St Peter Port where there are many dining options. Our first was Mora on the sea front. This was very enjoyable and we were a bit lucky to get a table for six since it was Guernsey's Liberation Day.

Three days later we ate in the Dix Neuf brasserie. This, too, was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the grounds at the back. As well as the view there is, in good weather...
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is pleasant if looking a little dated from outside! The rooms were clean and breakfast was good. The kids enjoyed using the pool which was really nice. The grounds of the hotel are also lovely and it's well located, we were able to walk into St. Peter port in 15-20 mins. Staff were mostly friendly although some struggled with english. Not the best hotel in the world but a good stay.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank DA_LDN
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our recent holiday was upgraded from a 2 star Hotel to the 4 star St Pierre Park Hotel. It was lovely. The staff were very friendly, esspecially the head waiter at breakfast. The room was amazing with a balcony overlooking the park and gardens. The selection at breakfast was superb. We used the on site swimming pool and jacuzzi, it was immaculately clean and inviting. Would love to stay there again. Although there was a 20/25 minute walk to St Peter Port, it was really worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden or lake, with a balcony are lovely. Also quieter.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I really hope Hand Picked Hotels are planning a huge refurb of this hotel! It is very old and dated and some of the corridors STINK of smoke (I believe you can smoke on the balconies).
Think of a 1970's holiday resort which hasn't seen a lick of paint in a while...welcome to St Pierre Park Hotel.
My room was comfortable enough but it was boring. Bathroom was probably the highlight - spacious (although when I ran a bath the water was not clear, it was yellowish). My room was also incredibly noisy - the doors to the balcony are not thick enough to keep out the noise of the road the hotel sits on, so whilst it is not a busy road, I was kept awake by mopeds and all sorts. I actually opened the doors and the noise remained the same from when they were shut.
The dinner options on offer are good - nice range of dishes on Room Service menu, and the service is speedy. Desserts are lacking. Odd combinations of flavours.
Breakfast is not great, it is served buffet style unless you request eggs benedict or omelette etc. I have yet to find a hotel who do a good breakfast buffet. The food is either greasy or dry from being under the lights.
Staff were friendly. Spa was good although the layout is stupid - go through to the changing rooms, back out to reception in your robe/towel, into the wet changing rooms where you can have a sauna or shower, then out to the pool.
On the day I was due to check out there was a knock on my door (at 8.15am) from housekeeping seeing if I had left yet. I find this appalling. Surely this is a lack of communication between the staff, knowing who has checked out and which rooms they can go in. Makes me feel very unwelcome and like they want me gone asap.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Snubb
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have been using this hotel for years. It offers everything we needed for our holiday and we particularly enjoyed eating on the terrace and swimming in the indoor pool which larger than most hotel pools. The rooms were clean and everything worked well. No complaints at all but after so many years I do think it is looking a little tired in public areas so it must be time for an update.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here on my wedding night and was underwhelmed.

We booked a Junior Suite with a hot tub expecting it to be private.....its not! you are meters away from next doors' hot tub and only seperated by a wooden criss-crossed wooden fence that you can see through. You may aswell save your money, book a standard room (which ours may aswell have been) and go to the Spa's Jacuzzi, where you may have more privacy!

The day before our stay, I had arranged for some gifts to be left in our room for my new husband. These were not in the room when we got there. I ended up in reception in my wedding dress (!) having to find out where exactly the presents had been delivered too. NOT how I wanted to spend my first hours as a newlywed.

We have been compensated for this but the damage was done. If I had organised things at the last minute or we had checked in early, I would be a bit more undertstanding but I had planned it to be in the 'Suite' (I use this term loosely) for when we checked in as it was to be my first gift to my husband as his wife.

The Room, what can i say??!.....definition of SUITE: A suite in a hotel or other public accommodation denotes a class of luxury accommodations, the key feature of which is multiple rooms.

This was not the case, unless the bathroom is classed as another room. The 'suite' was just a room with a double bed, a sofa and a TV. Had I wanted this, we would have saved our money and booked a standard room.

The staff we dealt with were friendly and polite which was the only thing I can really praise.

Room Tip: Suites are only one room, hot tubs are overlooked and the fence is see through so you can see your n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple