The Captain Cook Hotel
US$218
Fermain Valley Hotel(St Peter Port)
US$249
US$200
US$174
US$169
Ziggurat(St Peter Port)
US$163
US$158
  • Breakfast included
La Fregate Hotel(St Peter Port)
US$230
US$283
US$274
Les Rocquettes(St Peter Port)
US$213
US$206
Best Western Hotel De Havelet(St Peter Port)(Great Value!)
US$209
Priceline
US$201
US$196
Priceline
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We did't pay a fortune for accommodation, so wasn't expecting the world. The staff were friendly & very helpful, breakfast was good. The exterior of the building looks inviting, the interior can do with an update though. However, it was comfortable enough for us to put our heads down each night. Up a steepish hill, but good exercise after a pint (or two) at one of the watering holes at the bottom!! Parking is very limited at the front, not helped by being on a narrow road.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I've just come back from two weeks holidays in the Captain Cook Hotel. I didn't travel with an agency, but chose the hotel via Internet. Having read some of the reviews here I was a little worried, what my time there would be like. Well, I was pleasantly surprised:

This hotel is very close to the Victor Hugo House, which basically means one has to walk up a quite steep hill to get there. Fortunately at the very first day the receptionist pointed out to me that there was a bus stop on top of the hill, so I could walk down mostly instead of up.

The hotel seemed a bit dark to me, but it was clean and tidy. It is not the sort of hotel, where the inhabitants invite all the guests to be friends and sit together until late at night and chit-chat or have fun. Still, the rooms are cleaned daily, which is not self-evident in this sort of hotel (in Barcelona I had to pay a tip for my room to be cleaned once a week!). My room (single standard) was very small, but had everything I needed. The shower took a bit to get warm, but it always got there in the end. And hey, I hadn't expected anything like a palace when choosing a two-star hotel.

The service was friendly, at the reception as well as in the dining room or the room service. The breakfast had everything necessary, and I liked the evening meals as well, whenever I took them. I had booked only bed and breakfast and so didn't dine every evening, just about six meals. You have a choice of three starters, three main courses (one of them fish), and cake, ice-cream or cheese and breadsticks for afters. And I had no evening where I didn't know what to choose or didn't like my choice.

Remarkabe though, I was guest at the same time as GeoTraveller62 and I must have been to a different hotel altogether. Not only did I like the evening meals, I also never waited more than twenty minutes between starters and main course and this only when there were really many guests at the same time which made the coordination a bit difficult. I also talked to other guests and with one exception nobody ever complained about the food. Might this one exception have been GeoTraveller62?

Anyhow, I had a wonderful time in Guernsey and in the Captain Cook Hotel. It met the expectations I had for a hotel in this star-rating and sometimes went beyond that.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank nanikabayliss
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Poor quality although clean bedding, shower was awful with mould it only trickled and you couldn't adjust the height, industrial toilet roll that never worked properly, curtains - well poorly made, different coloured linings, had been sewen unevenly and had stains on!! Breakfast was ok, but originally we booked for half board (a mistake) food was poor extremely poor! Other guests that we spoke to also complained about evening meals, poor choice, poorly cooked, waiting long time (at least about 1 hour between starter and main), waitresses were friendly. Don't know about 2 star rating 1 would be too much compared with other 2 star hotels nearby this doesn't meet the same standard.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GeoTravellers62
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I went to Guernsey to attend my good friend's wedding and thought that cheap hotels were much of a muchness. How wrong I was.

We arrived shortly after 11am to find no-one on the desk. We rang the bell about four times and waited 10 minutes before someone arrived. Not a great start, but hey, perhaps we were just unlucky.

Finally, a rather sullen looking lady appeared offering no apology for keeping us waiting. Hey, it's cheap, and I don't need to be mollycoddled provided I've got a roof over my head and a half decent breakfast. So, upon filling out our forms, we were told that our room wasn't ready and that we should leave our luggage in the bar where she would keep an eye on it. I should mention at this point that the bar is adjacent to the reception area, where there had been no sign of anyone for 10 minutes. Presumably we weren't the only people who'd been told to leave our bags (securely) there, as it was strewn with other peoples' luggage.

So, entrusting our expensive suits to the sullen lady, we decided to head off and explore the bay. We returned well-fed at around 5pm, and, laughing and joking as we entered the hotel, were greeted with the rather snide remark of 'drunk already?' as we walked past. (For the record, we weren't drunk.) It is probably worth mentioning at this point that there were three of us, all male, and all thirty-somethings in a triple room. The significance of this will become apparent, if it hasn't already.

We had a guest with us when we arrived,who was staying at another hotel. He accompanied us briefly to our room when we finally got the key. We then headed off to his hotel for a meal. That night, two out of our party of three went out to a club. We returned quite late (around 3am), and waited outside while our other friend came down to let us in. I then went upstairs to our room with him while my other friend finished his cigarette outside, before returning to the room. We all went to bed. No party, no shouting, singing or any such disruption.

We had one more night which was dominated by the wedding, where we returned not long after midnight, and again went straight to bed. Pretty uneventful.

We were due to leave the following morning, and upon finishing our breakfast, we became acquainted with the husband of the sullen lady, who flatly accused us of being noisy, inconsiderate, and sleeping a fourth person in our room. Naturally, we were taken aback. He claimed that he had video footage of us all coming in late together being noisy two nights before. We knew this was a bare-faced lie because firstly, there had only been two of us who had gone out, and secondly, we had come in separately. He claimed that people had complained and that we were costing him custom. When asked to produce the video footage he declined and decided to focus again on the fourth person we were supposedly accommodating (who had been in our room for about half an hour on the day we checked in and not returned since). Needless to say, a rather heated discussion ensued in which he continued to accuse us of 'being funny' for taking issue with his and his wife's rudeness, and their unfounded accusations.

This is obviously a rather boring and perhaps unnecessarily long-winded account of things so I won't bore you with it any further. The purpose of it is to highlight that the sullen lady and her rude husband judged us the moment we walked through the door. They were persistently rude, they repeatedly tried to accuse us of things we hadn't done, and they made it quite obvious that they didn't want us there.

On a side note, the rooms were clean, the beds ok, and the bathroom serviceable. The breakfasts are very good and the girl who served them in the mornings was polite, charming, and perfectly friendly. Incidentally, everything that the proprietors weren't.

I'm certain that if you are over 40 and go to bed before 10pm then you will receive a warm welcome here. We aren't, and we didn't. While I have no doubt that they have charmed many, they judged us (wrongly) and poured scorn on us at every opportunity.

I would have given better marks for value, but I don't like paying to be insulted.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jaips
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Preston Travel booked us into this place as part of a holiday package. We had already seen the reviews prior to going. Well, what an eye-opener. Once again, like the first hotel we were booked into in Jersey, this one was equally as bad. The family owners are very nice and friendly, especially the lady. But the place itself resembles a back street B & B in Blackpool, circa 1970. The decor was yellow....everywhere....so dated and tired looking. We reckon that the person who painted the interior of this hotel must have been missing an arm & been visually impaired. Our bathroom had paint even on the towel rail, and we couldn't have a relaxing shower as there was nothing to hold the shower head on the wall. Our friends had an iron mark on their carpet! Avoid. Nice hosts, bad management. Send in The Hotel Inspector.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends