“Value at the top of a hill”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Peter Port
The Captain Cook Hotel
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
London
“Value at the top of a hill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

This is an excellent value quiet pleasant budget hotel a few minutes walk up a steep hill from the town centre or a few minutes walk down a steep hill from the bus stop. It's a budget hotel so lacking glamour but clean and everything works, the proprietors and staff are friendly and welcoming, give good advice and are anxious to please. The breakfast is fine apart from the coffee which is terrible but then the coffee almost everywhere in Guernsey (and Sark too!) is awful! It would be easy to find fault with other aspects by comparing the hotel with a four or five star establishment but anyone who does so is an idiot - you cannot expect perfection at these prices. I would definitely recommend this hotel for budget travellers who do not have unrealistic expectations.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NemoB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

For the price quite ok. Up a big hill from the seaside. Basic rooms, but very quiet and I slept well. Buffet breakfast okay, though beware toaster is very energetic! Lady at reception was quite friendly.

Be aware, they charge £3 credit/debit card fees which are completely unannounced on their website or at any point up until checkout, as far as I can tell. I'd advise checking bill thoroughly to ensure all charges are correct and no other surprises.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

Takes over 5 mins to get water which I wouldn't describe as hot. Check your bill as they tend to round up. Tried to add credit card supplement without notifying me and probably if I didn't check it will remains on the bill even if I paid cash.
Wifi works only in the bar. Lack if choice of cereals for breakfast. English and continental were ok. Coffee basic.

• Stayed May 2011
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

The Captain Cook Hotel in St Peter Port is near the top of one of the main hills in the town. As cyclists, this proved to be a challenge to reach with all our luggage attached to our bikes. Once we got there we were somewhat annoyed by the bike facilities available. On the tourist information website, the hotel was recommend as "Cycle-Friendly". However, all this meant was there was a dingy alleyway where we could store our bikes. We made the best we could of the situation and chained it to the only solid object in the alleyway, the iron gate. The following day I was confronted by the manager who told me that this was an obstruction and that we should "just chain the bikes together". In the end I was able to chain our bikes to a plastic drainpipe that would have taken maybe 5 minutes for an enterprising thief with a hacksaw to liberate two bikes. All in all this left a bad taste in my mouth (although not as bad as the cold "hot" breakfasts we had to endure), as the hotel was not cheap. In comparison, the travel lodge in Portsmouth was ridiculously cheap, and allowed us to store our bikes inside of the hotel free of charge. Cyclists beware!

Room Tip: Don't
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these St Peter Port hotels

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

We did't pay a fortune for accommodation, so wasn't expecting the world. The staff were friendly & very helpful, breakfast was good. The exterior of the building looks inviting, the interior can do with an update though. However, it was comfortable enough for us to put our heads down each night. Up a steepish hill, but good exercise after a pint (or two) at one of the watering holes at the bottom!! Parking is very limited at the front, not helped by being on a narrow road.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave C
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

I've just come back from two weeks holidays in the Captain Cook Hotel. I didn't travel with an agency, but chose the hotel via Internet. Having read some of the reviews here I was a little worried, what my time there would be like. Well, I was pleasantly surprised:

This hotel is very close to the Victor Hugo House, which basically means one has to walk up a quite steep hill to get there. Fortunately at the very first day the receptionist pointed out to me that there was a bus stop on top of the hill, so I could walk down mostly instead of up.

The hotel seemed a bit dark to me, but it was clean and tidy. It is not the sort of hotel, where the inhabitants invite all the guests to be friends and sit together until late at night and chit-chat or have fun. Still, the rooms are cleaned daily, which is not self-evident in this sort of hotel (in Barcelona I had to pay a tip for my room to be cleaned once a week!). My room (single standard) was very small, but had everything I needed. The shower took a bit to get warm, but it always got there in the end. And hey, I hadn't expected anything like a palace when choosing a two-star hotel.

The service was friendly, at the reception as well as in the dining room or the room service. The breakfast had everything necessary, and I liked the evening meals as well, whenever I took them. I had booked only bed and breakfast and so didn't dine every evening, just about six meals. You have a choice of three starters, three main courses (one of them fish), and cake, ice-cream or cheese and breadsticks for afters. And I had no evening where I didn't know what to choose or didn't like my choice.

Remarkabe though, I was guest at the same time as GeoTraveller62 and I must have been to a different hotel altogether. Not only did I like the evening meals, I also never waited more than twenty minutes between starters and main course and this only when there were really many guests at the same time which made the coordination a bit difficult. I also talked to other guests and with one exception nobody ever complained about the food. Might this one exception have been GeoTraveller62?

Anyhow, I had a wonderful time in Guernsey and in the Captain Cook Hotel. It met the expectations I had for a hotel in this star-rating and sometimes went beyond that.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank nanikabayliss
Haslingden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

Poor quality although clean bedding, shower was awful with mould it only trickled and you couldn't adjust the height, industrial toilet roll that never worked properly, curtains - well poorly made, different coloured linings, had been sewen unevenly and had stains on!! Breakfast was ok, but originally we booked for half board (a mistake) food was poor extremely poor! Other guests that we spoke to also complained about evening meals, poor choice, poorly cooked, waiting long time (at least about 1 hour between starter and main), waitresses were friendly. Don't know about 2 star rating 1 would be too much compared with other 2 star hotels nearby this doesn't meet the same standard.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple