“Excellent restaurant”

Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We (my mother and I) ate twice at the Conservatory restaurant during our stay in St Peter Port. We didn't stay at Moores but would consider in future. Both nights we had the excellent value early bird dinner (which is actually not that early at 6.30-7 pm) which is 3 courses (4 options for each) for 15 pounds. I had some of the best duck I'd ever had the first night and a really good sirloin steak the other. There was a good range of starters and puddings. Wine was very good if a little expensive. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I was visiting the island on business so unfortunately didn't get too much time to have a good look around but from what I could gather this hotel is in an ideal location for a weekend break. It is situated just a short walk up from the harbour and high street, placing it perfectly for plenty of good meals/night out.

The hotel itself is in quite an old building, it is nicely decorated inside you just need to be prepared for slightly squeaky floorboards and not so thick walls, that said I only ever seemed to notice that during the day and was never woken up during the night but people being too loud.

I believe the hotel is in the process of renovating their rooms, mine looked a little dated inside but was still clean and comfortable. My colleagues room looked a lot more modern, if they bring all the rooms up to this standard it would add a lot more value to the hotel. All rooms have WiFi and freeview TV.

The hotel gym is quite small and the hot tub was a little unclean when we used it. Apparently guests of this hotel can make use of the facilities at a nearby 'sister' hotel, we didn't do this so I can't commend on the facilities available there.

The breakfast in this hotel is brilliant, the continental breakfast is plentiful, this is accompanied by a menu of cooked breakfasts ranging from build-your-own style full English to smoked kippers.

Unfortunately we didn't eat any evening meals in the hotel but it looked as reasonably priced as the drinks were. All of the staff were friendly & helpful, with reception even advising that it might be better to book a taxi for an alternative time when it wouldn't be so busy.

I would visit again but it would be nice for all rooms to be 'upgraded'.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was my first stay in this hotel. Previously I have stayed a bit closer to the office I visit. Lovely, warm, friendly reception. The hotel is very centrally located for shops, bars and restaurants. It looks like it has been recently refurbished in some areas. The breakfast area and lounge area (connected to the brekfast area/restaurant) was nicely done. The hall ways and stairways look a little tired. My room was very comfortable, fitted with everything you need for your stay. The bathroom looked newly done out and the only thing missing was some shampoo and conditioner if you had forgotten it.

Bed was really comfortable but the room was hot. Not a problem in the winter but we had a few hot and humid days and the open windows meant a bit of noise and not a lot of breeze. Breakfast was as you expect in a good hotel, a buffet plus cooked options. Friendly staff and a small gym which even had a running machine.

I would have no hesitation in staying again and would ask for a fan if it was hot weather.

Room Tip: There was no air con so if you need to open the windows, get one of the rooms that does not face int...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Another trip to Guernsey and another stay at Moores, this time for three nights. Booked by telephone two weeks or so before the trip and was allocated the one remaining room in the hotel, a twin for single occupancy. I was warned that the room might be noisy, and this was indeed the case! I was moved the following day to a newly refurbished room at the rear of the building which was quiet and peaceful.
As always, the staff were polite and efficient - kindness itself, in fact. Both the Conservatory Restaurant and the Hideaway Brasserie were up to their usual high standards. Food and service in both were excellent.
My thanks to management and staff for all their hard work. Well done all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My wife and I stayed a week with friends and we had a great holiday at this hotel. Location is perfect for seeing the town of St Peter Port and staff are really helpful and friendly. Bedrooms differ considerably with our friends having a much nicer and larger bedroom with lounge seating area (228) however ours was small and basic (221) but nevertheless it was well kept.

Lovely breakfast location in conservatory room with excellent choices and generous freshly prepared food. Bar area was average, but Carvery was great value for money and again very generous with the food and a nice homely option to eating out in moor up market establishments.

We had a great stay and would hope to go back at sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Go for rooms not facing the front street and courtyard bar as it could be a little noisy some mornin...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Thank you for completing a survey on trip advisor regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 00441481724452.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey.

Yours sincerely,

Karel Harris (Mrs)
Managing Director
BEST WESTERN Moores Central Hotel

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Have just come back from staying here with my 80 year old mum. I booked 2 single rooms. Mine was on 3rd floor and had view across the harbour. Mum had room on 2nd with view of courtyard. Both rooms very well appointed, hers had a fridge, mine didn't and although there is a facility for safe deposits in reception, the rooms do not have individual safes, which is a shame, because that would have made the stay PERFECT! This hotel is right on the High St and it is lovely. All the staff are wonderful, from reception, restaurant and housekeeping. Everyone was so welcoming, helpful and made this trip special. The breakfasts are taken in the Conservatory Restaurant, and this is where in the evening you can get a 2 or 3 course set meal, for £15.00 to £18.50 inc coffee. The food is 5 star. The first evening we went for the seafood menu which was only £23.90 and words can't describe how good it was. There is a Library Bar on first floor and we had the carvery there one evening, again excellent. There is the Hideaway Bar where we had a sandwich one day and then treated ourselves to the Afternoon Tea. (We shared but the portion sizes are just right for one)
We did the free excursion laid on by the hotel, but you need to book a place. It took us right around the coast and Sam the driver gave us a brilliant tour and talked about Island life, now and during the occupation. We had a tea stop at Guernsey pearl, so it turned out to be the most expensive free tour for me, as I bought a string of pearls!
The hotel has a variety of rooms, most do not have a sea view, so ask for one when booking and they will try to accommodate, however room at the back without a view are quieter. I did experience some noise from people in the street, so take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. It doesn't have a pool but I gather the sister hotel does and we didn't use the spa but I looked in and the facilities looked good. Would I stay here again... In an instant. It was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in and deserves more than three stars. Thanks to everyone there who made this a great holiday with my mum.

Room Tip: My single room 307 on top floor overlooked harbour and was larger than mum's room 225 that didn...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I was staying at the Moores Central Hotel in winter but did not expect to freeze that much (and I usually don't)! The windows in the bedroom didn't seal properly and through the one in the bathroom (roof-light) it was actually snowing! In addition, the shower was broken (no water pressure). Although the staff was very helpful and friendly and they tried to get the shower fixed, it took them three attempts; means two mornings I could not take a proper shower :(. The internet access (WIFI) didn't work a lot (!) and I had to call several times. Again, very helpful and friendly staff and they usually fixed the problem within 10 minutes.
The room was quite spacious, clean and quiet (but probably only because I had the windows on the backside of the house - I heard other guests complaining about the noise and they had their windows to the street).
Breakfast is ok, you have a buffet and you can order eggs etc. and they cook it freshly. You mustn't do that when in a hurry though, as it might takes a while.

To wrap up:
When staying in Winter: take extra socks and a fleece jacket with you, so you don't freeze
Make sure they give you a room on the backside of the hotel to avoid loud noises from the street (especially weekend nights)
Very friendly and helpful staff
Great location; you reach shops, restaurants, beach-walk etc. by foot

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business