“Good location for short stay”

Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night, stopping over on our journey to Herm. We stayed in the Saumarez Suite which was huge, and not what we expected at all. Large king sized bed, en-suite, separate toilet, microwave, large lounge and even a small kitchen area.

Breakfast was very good and filling. Good choice of cereals and the cooked breakfast had everything.

The only reason I didn't score it five is because it was noisy at times during the night and there was no view.

Would definitely use as a stopover again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Alan R

Thank you for your review following your stay at Moores en route to the
neighbouring island of Sark and which I am so glad you enjoyed. Your
comments are much appreciated, although I regret that noise can
sometimes be an issue due to our very central location. If you stay with us in the future you might like to try one of our other two suites which although slightly smaller than the De Saumarez have nicer outlooks.

I hope you both enjoyed your visit to Sark and that we will have the
pleasure of welcoming you back to Moores for a longer stay on your next
trip the Channel Islands.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Friendly, helpful staff. Great central location but not too noisy either. Really good prices and great value for money. The breakfast room as lovely and bright and good was lovely. Hotel has character.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Katie483
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope we will see you again soon.

Karel Harris
MD

Reviewed 9 June 2013

My wife and I stayed five nights in June. Alerted by the reviews here I asked for a quiet room, which we were given. But others in our party whose rooms were at the front were bothered both by Saturday night revellers and street cleaners at 5.00am. Otherwise, this is an excellent hotel. The food was well above average for a 3 star and the customer service from the reception desk was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Alan D

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at Moores and
for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated by us
all, but particularly by the kitchen brigade and the reception team.

I am sorry that some of your party were disturbed by late night revellers - it is the downside of our central location but fortunately we do have many rooms at the rear of the hotel which are quieter. We hope you will come back and stay with us soon.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Slight issue over the room, I was sharing with my 81 year old mum and booked a twin room, but when we arrived, although it was twin beds, they were pushed together like a double! Not best pleased and had to complain so that a porter had to move them apart and put a bedside table between them. The room was just not set up for 2 ladies sharing, but once furniture had been moved, we settled in. We have been before and were welcomed back by the restaurant staff. The food is divine and service impeccable. Great menu choices and excellent breakfasts. I have a mushroom allergy and all the staff were made aware. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the town and port. The hotel provides a free tour of the island on Tuesdays and Thursdays but you need to book. We did the tour last year and again this year and Sam the driver and guide was excellent and very informative. Well worth it for a trip to see all the Island and get some history. All staff helpful, polite and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you want a twin room, make sure the beds are apart! Some rooms are smaller than others and this r...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Val9401

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your kind review
following your recent stay at Moores, your comments have been relayed on
to all the Team here and were much appreciated by us all.

I understand your point about the set up of the beds for twin use and
your preferences have been noted. I was also pleased to see that you
enjoyed the food from our new kitchen and made use once again of the
complimentary tour of the island we offer and which is proving more
popular than ever.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your mother back to
Moores for many years to come and in the meantime I would thank you for
your valued custom and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stayed here on business whilst working in Guernsey and is what I would call a typical 3* hotel. Staff are OK but not professional, bedrooms are all different and no consistency in comfort, housekeeping etc. Overall pretty dated and very noisy when the nearby clubs kick out at 2 in the morning. Would stay again for a night or two but not for a holiday. If standards were "bettered" could be a great hotel as only 2 mins walk from the harbour and shops.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear JonKing789

Thank you for your review following your stay at Moores. We do indeed
have a variety of different rooms and due to our location in the heart
of St. Peter Port, unfortunately noise from outside will sometimes inevitably be an
issue. However, the rooms at the rear of the hotel are rarely so affected.

As you will see from other reviews, we are in the process of
refurbishing all our rooms on a rolling basis and also have plans for
some of the public areas. I was sorry to read that you felt the staff
not to be professional and can only regret that you did not bring any of
your concerns to my attention during your stay. Please feel free to
contact me directly for any proposed future reservations at the hotel
and it would be my pleasure to oversee them personally.

In the meantime,I would thank you for you for your valued custom and
assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Visited Guernsey last month and decided to visit Moores again - I last stayed there 2 years ago. Beautifully situatated for shopping and buses etc and my room was very nice, better than the one on my first visit. However, the breakfast staff came across as very "couldn't care less" though the girls on reception were nice. I had to cut my stay short, which was a shame, but it was nothing to do with the hotel or Guernsey - I would have loved to have stayed longer. Will definitely consider Moores again but hope the staff can be a little bit more attentive; also the choice in the breakfast room was not as good as before.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Dear Katy1069

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am glad you found our location to be ideal for your needs and that you liked your newly refurbished room. I was, however, sorry to learn that breakfast wasn't up to your expectations but now that we are operating out of our new kitchen have improved our offering and are constantly striving to improve our service levels in all departments.

I very much hope that you will consider staying with us again and if you think we can ever be of service to you again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel and it would be my pleasure to oversee your reservation personally.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

If you are prepared to put up with workman,work noise,fire alarms going off from 7am in the morning(all unannounced so there could have been 3 fires).furniture being moved in,doors left open during breakfast while the cold wind flies around your feet ,boxes laded up in reception,then stay here,e.the menus for 5 days was the same.the food was boring and unimaginative.basic,ordinary. The only good thing was the staff.Most European,young,great fun,quick to react.houskeeping like wise. I am sure it will be great when its finished,however I don't see why I should ave to put up with the noise,mess and chaos as well as pay for for the experience. The business was running despite their guests,at the expense of their guests.not good enough.

Room Tip: Wait for the renovation to be over before staying here.ask for a room which is light,not looking at...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Dear Reluctant Traveller
I was sorry to see from your review that you did not have the most restful or enjoyable of stays with us. We have just come to the end of a major kitchen refit and although we have done our utmost to ensure this did not effect our guests too much, clearly in your case we did not succeed. We are aware there has been an issue with the fire alarms this week and the engineers have been able to resolve this. We did indeed have deliveries of new linen this week, and boxes sat in the reception area for a few hours until they could be dealt with. With regard to the dinner menu, I am so sorry that you did not mention any issues to either Reception or the Restaurant staff as there were many ways this could have been remedied. You could have dined in the Library Carvery or indeed in one of our sister hotels, Hotel de Havelet or Les Rocquettes as we offer a "dine around" service to our half board guests.

In conclusion we just wish you had brought your feelings to our attention during your stay as we would have done our best to resolve these and ensure you had a relaxing visit with us.

Karel Harris