“A good central location”

Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel has the best central location right in the busy shopping centre. I thought this might make access by car difficult but it is not. You can park outside to load and in our case to assist my wife's disabled 91 year old Dad. The North Shore car park is 5 minutes away with 10 hour parking. The rooms are nice if you want something big and airy then the front is for you but this can be noisy on Friday and Saturday night. There is double glazing. The rooms at the back are very quiet. The Conservatory is just that big glass windows and a terrace. Breakfast is here and in the evening this is the main restaurant. We tried it one and the food and service was good and not over priced. The Library is a bistro serving a wide range of food including a couple of roasts. Service is good and food excellent, washed down wit Monty's beer which is very good. All in all a pleasant and I would return to the hotel.

Room Tip: A more modern room at the rear if you want a quiet night
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Middlemiss

Thank you for your very prompt and comprehensive review following your
recent stay with us and for all of its kind comments therein, they are
much appreciated. It was a real pleasure to meet you all and have you
stay with us and which I am so glad you enjoyed.

too distant future and in the meantime, I would thank you for your
valued custom and assure you of my best attention at all times.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Moores Central Hotel

Reviewed 14 August 2013

great location. but to be honest that's it. really noisy - probably brilliant in winter but in July on a hot day not ideal if you want an early night. personally I thought it was overpriced for the décor, condition of the furnishings and hotel in general. Staff helpful but not much communication and they are very defensive on the noise issue as they obviously get a lot of complaints about it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear ABKent

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I would have to agree with you that noise can sometimes be an issue
given our central town location, although the rooms at the rear of the
hotel are rarely so affected.

I am also pleased to be able to advise you that we have plans as part of
our rolling refurbishment programme to re-decorate much of the public
areas and several bedrooms this coming winter.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

What stood out for me was the extremely pleasant dining experience, from the light and airy dining room to the outstanding quality of the food, particularly the delicious desserts. The service at both breakfast and dinner was well-paced and courteous. It was very helpful to be allowed to check in at 12.00 and the system for collecting left luggage worked well. There is a rather noisy cafe bar just across the street, but I think you have to accept such things if you stay in a town-centre hotel. Altogether, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Away from the front is quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Fairfax09

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and for all
of its kind comments therein, particularly those concerning the
restaurant, they are much appreciated.

We strive to offer good value for money menus using only the freshest of
produce, particularly locally caught seafood and this has proved very
popular with both visitors and locals alike.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Moores in the not
too distant future and in the meantime I would thank you for your valued
custom and would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband, motherin law and I choose this hotel as it was close to St. Peter's port we stayed 27-29 July . We decided to book this hotel after looking online at their photos through the best western Website . Being a best western platinum member you get certain benefits, late check out, early check in, 10% dining, room upgrades.

The facade of the hotel lovely, no car park, but we were aware of that. the car patk facilty is close by. free parking in guernsey. the hotel gave us a voucher which allows you to stay in the car park on north car park up until 9.30 a.m the following morning

The room were my husband and I were allocated was on the 3rd floor room 316. This room was extremely dated and not what the photos suggest on line. It was at back of the hotel, no noise but bet was extremely uncomfortable, appeared to be two single beds pushed together to make a double. I have stayed in numerous best western hotels and other chains of hotels. I haven't had two beds pushed together . Especially a double room .

The complimentary wifi was limited on 3rd floor. Mother in law was allocated room on 2nd floor, this was close to the high street, this room was better room 203. However it was noisy on the Saturday night from people on the high street. I appreciate they can't put double glazed windows as its a listed building, but secondary glazing would help .mother in law doing her own review.

The smoke alarm went off twice on the Saturday night, this was frustrating after being a deep sleep,

We ordered a meal from the library 2 of the meals curry and rice were lovely, nicely presented 3rd meal was sausages and mash 2 sausages were fine 3rd was cremated . We didn't say anything but did complete a survey at the end of the meal.

The public area needs redcorating, the room is was allocated needs modernising . Staff ok, just average for customer service.

I complained to manager, didnt have a response I was expecting, but after further complaining received a gesture of good will. I wouldn't return to this hotel. I would recommend best western hotels but consider avoiding this one.

I stayed at a 4 star hotel in london last night 3rd August and the customer service was impeccable, no complaints comfortable rooms.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear timike30

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, although
of course disappointed to read some of your comments.

As you are aware, we have had correspondence and a telephone
conversation regarding the issues you have raised and as I explained to
you then, the fire alarm was accidentally activated by another customer
of the hotel and had to be re-set in the interests of safety. Your beds
were zipped-and-linked, which is standard practise within the industry
in this category of hotel and if you had brought any issues regarding
the Wi-Fi to our attention at the time, we could have investigated it
there and then. Similarly, I am sorry you didn't enjoy one of your meals
in the Library Bar, though pleased you enjoyed the other two, but if you
do not give us the opportunity to rectify a situation at the time, there
is little we can do after your departure. We would regrettably agree
that noise is sometimes an issue in this town centre hotel and very much
like to put in conservation type double glazing, etc., in some of the front rooms, but
currently our Heritage and planning controls will not permit this.

I am pleased, however, to be able to advise you that as part of our
rolling refurbishment programme, we will be decorating more of the
public areas and continuing to upgrade more bedrooms and bathrooms this coming winter.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

It is always good when you arrive at a hotel to discover you have been given a suite rather than a room as happened to us at Moore's Central Hotel in St Peter Port. Right in the centre of the Town with the positives and the negatives that go with that, the hotel could not be better positioned for restaurants, shopping and the seafront. It was a special weekend for our 30th wedding anniversary.

A traditional hotel (but not dowdy and old fashioned), Moore's holds the values of a long established family hostelry along with facilities that match the modern traveller's expectations; wifi throughout, and in our suite 2 TVs, jacuzzi bath, iPod connections into the stereo. The staff welcome is genuine and friendly, not manufactured.

Being in town, on a warm night with the windows open, the sound of chatter from the terrace restaurant, music and people passing on Le Pollet drift into the room. But it was quiet by 10:00 pm on a Friday night. Some noises from the street from party animals around 3:00am, but nothing to complain about. Saturday night was a lot noisier for a lot longer, but with closed windows it didn't bother us too much. In a hotel in the middle of town in the holiday season, it would be unrealistic to expect anything else. Which is what I mean about positives and negatives of the position.

Looking around the restaurant at breakfast and judging by the people we pass in the corridors, I guess this is a place for people who would be classed as "mature". So be it. It suits us. The guests are friendly too.

The restaurant was sunny and fairly spacious, efficient staff and a good menu, but was disappointing on Sunday night falling short of expectations; something many hotels suffer from.

As to whether we would stay here again, if we were staying in town or in a hotel on the island as opposed to self catering, yes. But the freedom of self catering for a longer period is welcome. So Vazon Bay Apartments for longer stay (see review here in this section) and Moore's for shorter stay.

There is a video of the Sarnia Suite on my profile but it is also here on YouTube http://youtu.be/Yk2U3T-SaOw

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear davysims

Thank you for your very comprehensive review following your recent stay
with us and for all your kind comments therein, they are much
appreciated. I think you have a given a very fair and accurate
assessment of the hotel and its operations and I am glad that these, in
the main, met with your approval. Congratulations also to you both for
your 30th wedding anniversary and I hope your celebratory visit to
Guernsey, lives long in your memories.

We look forward to having the pleasure and privilege of welcoming you to
Moores again the not too distant future and in the meantime, I would
thank you for your valued custom and assure you of my best attention at
all times.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a very central hotel only a short walk from the harbour. (We easily walked with cases from the ferry) and in the main shopping area which is very pretty.
The hotel is bright and clean and our room at the back of the hotel was nice and very quite. We had no problem with the room being to hot at all but there was an air conditioning machine in our room that we could have used if needed. It had all we needed and a really nice bathroom.
All the staff were very helpful and the hotel in general had a nice atmosphere.
There is a very nice area for meals with outside space to eat also if the weather is good as it was
when we were there a few weeks ago.
There is no pool which I wasn't bothered about but you can use the pool at their sister hotel.
I would certainly stay there again and liked it much better than another much more expensive hotel that I have stayed in in the past in St Peters Port.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel for complete quite. The front hotel rooms would be great if...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear annbritt2013

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us and I
am glad you found everything to your liking.

As you mentioned, guests staying at Moores are welcome to use the
facilities at our two sister hotels Les Rocquettes and the Havelet Hotel
and for those on a half-board basis we can also arrange an exchange
dinner option between the three establishments.

too distant future and in the meantime, I would thank you for your
valued custom and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

me and my mum have just returned from a 2 week holiday at moores this is a 5th time we have stayed there and can honestly say it was fantastic we had twin beds with a walk in shower it was spotless we had a room at the back so it was very quiet room 213 and the service was excellent all the staff were very friendly the restaurant staff went out of their way to help us as my mum was put on a special diet nothing was to much trouble and the food is excellent plenty to choose from, we went on a free tour of the island with sam and bobby which was very good we will recommend this hotel to all our friends and return in the future thank you to everyone at moores for making it a holiday to remember

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear hedgehoghale

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and for all
your kind comments therein, they are much appreciated by us all. It was
a pleasure to welcome you both back to Moores and I am glad that all
your needs were met.

We would hope to have the privilege of having you stay with us again for
what would be your sixth visit, in the not too distant future and in the
meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you of my
best attention at all times.