“Loved it!”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Family run hotel - friendly staff - nothing too much trouble. Pleasant, light, very clean room. Choice of three restaurants/cafes. I recommend the Library Bar carvery as excellent value. Centrally located so ideal for shopping, accessing harbour, buses etc. I will certainly return as was made very welcome. Can't comment on the spa as I didn't try it but will next time! I love Guernsey anyway, so was very happy with my stay overall.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are a bit noisier as the hotel faces the high street, so if you have...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Stuart786

I am glad you found the central location of the hotel to be so convenient and that you received a warm welcome. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience in the Library Bar and found it such good value. We constantly strive to meet the needs and surpass the expectations of all our guests who come to Guernsey for a whole variety of reasons, whether it be for business or pleasure.

I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back again to Moores in the not too distant future and in the meantime, would thank you for your valued custom and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Stephen Purtill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Sussex
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Rather sadly I needed to work in Guernsey over a weekend so booked a three night stay with Moores. I have stayed here before and one of the primary reasons I choose the hotel is that it is really well located in the centre of St Peter's Port.
Yes, the decor can be a bit dated but the service I received was excellent. For example I arrived early on Friday and my room was not ready. I needed to work so went to the restaurant and the attentive staff there moved a table into the lounge area near a power point and plied me with coffee.
I then checked into my room which was very small - 226. For a double room it was just too tight and then I found that the internet connection was not good there. I rang down to explain that I needed to work. I was immediately offered another room and help to move. I was moved to 313 a much better room with a refurbished bathroom and more importantly for me good internet access.
When unpacking I realised that I had left something in 226 - I rang reception and the very helpful and friendly room assistant who helped me move went to get it.
This for me is personal service and it is exactly why I am always happy to stay at Moores.

Room Tip: If noise worries you ask for a quiet room - the ones facing the street can get noisy - but you are i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Gotski

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated. I am glad your working weekend was made more bearable by the helpful service and hospitality you experienced at Moores, something we strive to provide to all our guests.

I am also pleased to be able to advise you that we will be continuing our on-going refurbishment of the public areas over the coming winter months, together with that of several bedrooms and the upgrading of the hotel's Wi-Fi facilities.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom to date and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Moores in the not too distant future.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Sark, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed one night at Moores with my seven month grandson. The travel cot was a good size but we still had room to move, the cot had a proper cot sheet and a suitable blanket and we were given a bath towel for him without having to ask. The high chair at breakfast was clean and we all had a comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear 1Mutley

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with your daughter and her baby. I was very glad to see that you were all well looked after and hope we will welcome you back to Moores very soon.

London
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I felt let down from the start, really:-

- Half a dozen staff behind the reception desk, none wearing a uniform, more interested in gossiping than working
- I had to ask for the room key because the receptionist didn't give it to me
- I still don't know how much the room cost because I wasn't told, and it wasn't on any of the paperwork I was given
- The second floor room was dated, and uninviting
- Wifi signal present, but erratic and only useful for reading email
- The bulbs in the bedside lights were the older energy-saving type that flicker for a few second before settling, meaning that when you turn them on the middle of the night your eyes go from pitch black to blinding flickering
- the plumbing in the bathroom was noisy
- the stairs for the room above encroached into my room's space somewhat, which in itself wasn't a problem, but it did mean being woken by the tramping feet of the occupants of the room above when they returned at 2am
- the breakfast room wasn't clearly signed
- the food at breakfast was edible but unappetizing
- the checkout barely existed, and thus when my friends called to find out if I'd checked out they were told I hadn't, when in fact I had 45 minutes earlier.

When my boat to Sark was cancelled, I thought I'd make the best of the situation and treat myself to a stay at Moore's. Turned out not to be much of a treat, and if I'm stuck on Guernsey again I'll look elsewhere before I stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mpsuk

I was very sorry to read your review and see how disappointed you were with your stay at Moores. I was particularly concerned about your experience at check in and check out, as generally our feedback from guests regarding our Receptionists is very positive. I believe you arrived during the handover period from morning to afternoon shift as we only have a total of 4 receptionists and a trainee so the "gossip" was more likely to be handing over the morning's issues. However, this does not excuse you not receiving a proper welcome so I do apologise on behalf of the team. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future if you are en route to or from Sark, and if you would like to contact me personally I will ensure you are well looked after.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Hotel right in the middle of town.Comfortable,if slightly dated decor,good food and excellent staff.English breakfast a real treat!!Could be a bit of noise at weekends from local venues but it is in town.The manager came round every evening at dinner to add that "personal" touch and would offer alternative menus if needed. Would definitely use again.Knowing the Island we knew about transport etc.,but for cost and ease of getting around, it makes mainland travel look second rate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Senior 22870

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at "Moores". We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and particularly your breakfasts !

We hope you will come back and stay with us in the near future.

London
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Having stayed recently in a couple of overpriced and unfriendly hotels recently it was a delight to be greeted by the friendly receptionist at Moore's and then shown to one of their elegant suites.

The location is great if you wish to wander around St Peter Port and also close to a taxi rank. The hotel has a small gymn and a couple of bars and restautants and lots of character. There is no swimming pool but I was able to walk to a sister hotel to use theirs for no extra charge.

Some of the walls could do with a fresh lick of paint and the service at breakfast was a bit lacking. However I would definately recommend Moores for a stay in Guernsey.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank NOTTLEFINK
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear NOTTLEFINK

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us and I
am so glad that you seemed to find most things to your liking. I would agree
that one of the most important elements of a stay are welcoming and caring
staff and we are fortunate to have such a good team at present.

I am particularly pleased to learn that you made use of our sister hotel
Les Rocquettes' health suite and swimming pool facilities. I am also happy
to be able to advise you that we shall be continuing our on-going refurbishment and
redecoration of some of the public areas and several bedrooms this
coming winter.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Just spent a long weekend at the Moores Hotel in Guernsey. It was the second time we have stayed here and we stayed in the Sarnia Suite this time which was excellent. The suites are top quality and well worth booking as they are the last word in luxury. Ate dinner in the hotel restaurant every night and the food was superb. The restaurant staff are attentive, professional and polite which adds to the experience. The reception and bar staff are all really helpful and make this hotel extra special for its guests. All in all, couldn't fault this hotel. The location is perfect as it is situated in the centre of St Peter's Port, close to lots of fabulous shops and yet only 30 minutes by boat from the harbour to Herm which is so peaceful and breathtakingly beautiful. Will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: Indulge yourself and book into one of their suite's - last word in luxury and worth every penny.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 260850sueh
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Wendy_P_12220

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us and I
am so glad that everything was to your liking. Thank you particularly for the compliments regarding all the staff who looked after you - I will be sure to pass these on. The very central location
of the hotel does indeed make it the ideal choice for business or
pleasure when staying St.Peter Port and we hope to have the pleasure of
welcoming you back to Moores in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times.