“Lovely experience”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Herm, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a short break. We had a superior room it was clean and comfortable. The building is old but full of charm and homely. When we experienced a problem with the hot water, they moved us to a larger better room and were very apologetic and professional. The cooked breakfasts are well presented and there are plenty of options for those who prefer not to have traditional cooked breakfast.We ate at the conservatory restaurant on both nights and the food very good. The waiting on staff are beautifully trained and are all exceedingly polite.I would stay again as the staff and service are second to none. I can't fault them in any way. Thank you

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janemak
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear janemak

Thank you for you taking the time and trouble to write a review following your recent stay with us and for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated by us all.

I am glad you found everything to your liking and it is always a particular pleasure for us to welcome guests from our neighbouring of islands and I hope Moores will continue to be your hotel of choice when in Guernsey.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Stephen Purtill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

this is a small clean lovely hotel in the centre of st. peters port. just outside the front door are the shops and a minutes walk to the pier. the breakfast is such a big selection with large portions for a cooked breakfast. dinner was good quality too. the only thing i will say is the raditor in the bathroom made a lot of noise even when i turned it off so there might be some pipe work needed to quieten the noise. the rooms is spacious and clean with good staff in all departments. i would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nil1972
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear nil1972

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us and which is most appreciated.

I was glad you seemed to find everything to your liking, although I apologise for the noise issue you experienced from your bathroom radiator. We are currently upgrading part of the central heating system and it may well be that there was an airlock of some description and which I shall investigate further.

In the meantime, I hope we shall have the pleasure and privilege of welcoming you back to Moores in the not too distant future and I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

St Clement, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We, Val and I, spent a very relaxed week-end at Moores at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb. Whilst Jersey is a lovely place to live, it's good to get away from time to time and Guernsey provides an excellent venue for this. Val loves the shops and we both enjoy strolling around, looking out for different places to eat in the evening.

Our brief two night trip was arranged by itravel, Jersey as I could not find Moore's as a hotel available as a short break through either of the two airlines, Aurigny or Blue Islands. We prefer Blue Islands (lounges in both Islands and larger more comfortable planes) and itravel put the two together.

Moores residents do not need a car for a weekend trip. Taxies to and from the airport and everything else we wanted was within walking distance. We did try to go on a bus to St Sampson's on the Sunday, but were deterred by the hourly service, which would have made us 'anxious' for the taxi to the airport, for our return flight. The weather was fine, so we enjoyed a bracing walk and lunch in the brasserie opposite Moores.

It's worth paying the small increment for a superior room - plenty of space and all facilities. The room we had was one of the several that had been recently refurbished and was most comfortable.

We arrived during the afternoon of Friday 31st January and as the rain was heavy and continuous, we decided to dine in the Hotel's Conservatory Restaurant. The different levels, spacing of the tables and layout are imaginative which is conducive to pleasant dining. The table d'hote menu at £15.50 with no service charge was a delight and excellent value. Steak was among the main course options and we both opted for this. The steaks were of a good size, tender and beautifully cooked, with vegetables served separately. The starters and sweets were also excellent, as was the service.

Breakfast is also a delight, served in the same location.

Moores is often the choice of the businessman due to its location, but the visitor who does not require a car should give it serious consideration.

Some sad news for regulars. Dillon the cat who frequented the hotel, the nearby jewellers and the Lower Pollet in general was apparently washed into the Harbour during the very recent stormy conditions. He will be missed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ancientmariner_12
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear ancientmariner_12

Thank you for your very comprehensive review following your recent stay with us and for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated by us all. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

As you mention, our table d’hôte menu represents excellent value for money and we will be offering a special ‘Bring on the Spring’ menu during the month of March, using as much local produce as possible and if you are unable to partake in this promotion, we hope to at least have the pleasure and privilege of welcoming you back to Moores in the not too distant future.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Plymouth, England
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The friendly staff and good food are what make this place. The room was spotlessly clean and not shabby but,in design terms a bit dated. Looked for some shampoo to find a pump action bottle bolted to the wall in the showere - a hint of TraveLodge.
Overall a good place for a weekend and worth visiting again. good value for money and a very convenient location.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WanderingAcademic
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Wandering Academic

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was so pleased to read that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff and Chef's good food. We are very fortunate with our location in the heart of the town, and we take on board your comments regarding the "design" element in our bedrooms. We have a rolling programme refurbishing our bedrooms and bathrooms and are doing our utmost to improve our guests' experiences with us.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Moores in the future.

Sincerely
Mrs Karel Harris
Managing Director
devon
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I used this hotel for my business trips a few years ago, and now having to work in guernsey on a regular basis again I thought I would return here.
Reception were very pleasant on arrival, and they apologised for the corridor works being carried out.
The rooms haven't changed much, but have a lovely homely feel about them. I was very much looking forward to a bath after being soaked through several times during the day, but I only had a shower. The bathrooms looked like they had recently been updated though.
I ate in the library, and the service was attentive. The food however was not as good. I ordered scampi which was completely overdone.

On returning to my room I found the TV was not working, and it was far too hot. I opted to read and sleep on top the covers.

On check out in the morning, it was early, and the night duty manager was on, but he didn't even raise a smile. I had a query regarding the billing, so he flicker through paperwork for 5 mins without even a word as to what he was doing. When I mentioned the TV not working, his response was a grunt. Not even the usual 'hope you enjoyed you stay'. Would hate to see what reaction I would have had if I had actually complained.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear clarey1981

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us, although I was of course, disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with certain aspects of your stay.

The vast majority of our rooms do have a bath and for future reference, these can be requested when making your reservation, whether it be directly with the hotel or online, subject to availability. I am, however, sorry that you did not enjoy your scampi in the Library Bar and I have already discussed this matter with the hotel’s head chef. I do recall the night of your stay there was an issue with the TV system in the hotel, caused by the inclement weather we were experiencing, but this was rectified within 45 minutes or so. I can only apologise for the behaviour of the night duty manager - this is not the level of service our valued guests deserve. I am, however, pleased Reception made you feel welcome and you found the service in the Library Bar to be attentive.

I would hope that the negative issues you experienced will not dissuade you from choosing to stay with us again and if you think we can ever be of service to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel and it would be my pleasure to oversee your reservation and stay with us personally.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The hotel generally was first class. Staff mostly eastern european, but with good english, and friendly and helpful. Food in The Hideaway, The Rendevous, andThe Conservatory mostly excellent. Reservation about the cooked breakfast which apart from the eggs looked as though it was prepared last week.
The bedroom was comfortable, perhaps a bit cool for me ( I need an extra blanket everywhere) and only the bathroom was a letdown. Some refurb' needed. I don't like a loo which needs a loo brush and flushing twice. I don't like taps which are never fully on, and difficult to turn off, and I don't like having to climb into a bath and pull a curtain across to shower in water which is not quite hot enough. I thought the bath towel good, until I realised it had been ironed and I was using two thicknesses.
Provide a proper 21st century bathroom, and I'll come back, again and again - though not in the winter when everything is shut....

Room Tip: One at the back- the front is surprisingly noisy, I'm told.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Dorsetmannearly80

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was very glad to read that you found the food in our restaurants to your liking, and will look into your comments regarding breakfast as this is such an important meal for our guests ! We have an on-going refurbishment programme of our bedrooms and bathrooms in place and some rooms now have a walk in showers rather than a bath tub and in many other rooms shower screens have been fitted. We hope you will stay with us again and thank you for your helpful feedback.

Karel Harris
Managing Director
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

This is an older hotel in an excellent location in St Peter's Port, Guernsey. Our room was small, adequate, quiet and clean. The dining areas are inviting and represent informal to formal with good food. The buffet breakfast at £8 is pretty good. Pleasant helpful staff made this a good place to stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Larryarn
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Larryarn

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and for its kind comments therein, particularly regarding the excellent staff, they are much appreciated by us all. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am glad that you found everything to your liking.

I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to Moores in the not too distant future and in the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom to date and assure you of my best attention at all times.