“#what a friendly and welcoming hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Les Rocquettes

Les Rocquettes
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Southampton, England
“#what a friendly and welcoming hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Everything about this hotel was a pleasure - the staff, the rooms, the health suite, the food. We had opted for half board and found the menu choices to be excellent. In another town this would be a four star hotel - not sure why it only gets three. The hotel has a courtesy bus service to take you down the hill to town and back, if the times suit you. Our only disappointment was that we had booked two days but would happily have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Limousin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

Having stayed at this hotel in February in a Superior room, I booked again for April (in a stahdard room) as I could not get into my main choice hotel (De Havelet). I now regret it. The Reception staff were nice. The room was in great need of redecoration, the dressing table top was stained, the bathroom had no mixer tap on the shower so it took an age to get the temperature right (what a waste of time and water). The soap dish on the bath fell off due to rust (see picture). The towel rail wiring was I think illegal! (see pictures) It was almost bare at the wall and on the towel rail it was taped with black tape. The last time I was here the food was quite good but this time the "hot" food at breakfast was almost cold, the fish I ordered from the kitchen on the 2nd day was late despite many reminders and no interest from staff. The staff seemed to not communicate - not a team. We decided not to eat here for other meals this time. The hotel advertises as a walk from the city centre, but it is a 15 minute walk downhill on a very busy road (car fumes) and too steep to walk back unless you are very fit, so we had to bus (admittedly only 60p per ride). My last stay in Guernsey in March was at their sister hotel (Best Western DeHavelet) which was far far superior and not in the same league. I assume this hotel can't meet the standards required by Best Western. I would not stay at this hotel again - it would be the DeHavelet or nothing. Don't go there! To top it, the swimming pool was out of action. The wi-fi was quite good though.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank profbook
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

Rocquettes is a strange mixture of good and bad. My first impression at reception was friendly and efficient and I was still positive on entering my room which was light and airy.
But then I took a look at the desk which was badly stained with rings from where mugs/glasses had been placed. The surface looked dirty but I expect it was a cheap laminate which was not wearing too well. Only one power socket which had to service the kettle as well as my own electronics – most people travel with equipment which needs charging so I think any hotel needs to provide at least one socket in addition to anything that’s required for room equipment such as tv and kettle. The bedside table appeared to suffer from the same problem as the desk. The tv was minute with a basic range of channels. There was an adequate wardrobe. The small room safe required you to supply a padlock. Beds are “sheets and blankets” – I fail to understand why hotels don’t invest in duvets. And the sheets had not been cleaned too well!
The bathroom was huge but very dated and the tiling around the bath very cracked. The shower had little water pressure and as it wasn’t thermostatic the temperature seemed to change at frequent intervals.
I thought the hotel was quiet until the morning, when there was a lot of banging with the service trolleys at 6:30. As breakfast doesn’t start until 7:30, I doubt there are many rooms ready for servicing at 6:30 so why wake guests by banging the trolleys about outside their doors?
Breakfast was adequate but food was mediocre in quantity.
I can’t comment on the pool as it was closed.
My real horror was when I asked to leave a case and was pointed to a public space by a stair case. Surely a three-star hotel should have a baggage room or somewhere secure? I know crime is low on Guernsey but this just seemed risky.
I came away from Rocquettes thinking this could have been so much better. The limitations seemed to be investment in the rooms (everything looked as though it was done for the cheapest price) and poor working practices (such as the service trolleys at 6:30).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank yhi904
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

I've given this an 'excellent' score because whilst it isn't five star accomodation it's was much better than i expectedand the staff were excellent. It is a pleasant, clean place. The room was above average size wise, spotlessly clean and with a generous balcony. The hotel is spotless too and has a welcoming, friendly atmosphere. The breakfast was good - good selection. The food in the Oaks Bar, part of the hotel, was good, reasonably priced and again the staff were excellent.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Essex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

Standard rooms are basic with small tv. We booked a double but got a twin room as we were only staying for 2 days we didn't bother asking for a change. We could have done without the 7.30am knock for cleaning, followed by 3 more knocks during the morning when we were due to leave at 11am. No Do Not Disturb sign in the room.

Food in restaurant was average - portions in the Oak Bar looked good. 10 minute walk down hill to centre of St Peter Port with plenty of eateries, but recommend getting a taxi back up the hill - costs about £4. Swimming pool with jacuzzi and sauna were nice facilities with towels provided at reception. Free Wi-Fi is a good feature.
Cost £50 per person B&B.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank eve-boots
Lichfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

Great service, friendly, helpful. Nice rooms, plenty of space. Food excellent. Buffet breakfast and dinner with lots of choice. Lovely swimming pool with spa, sauna and gym. The large hill is compensated for by the free bus into town, although bus fares are very cheap so no problem.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MerrimanLichfield
europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

We had a great stay this summer on the idyllic island of Guernsey. Because we are with young children, I booked an appartment in this hotel so I could use their facilities with the added bonus of freedom and having a living room to stay in while the kids were in bed.
Unfortunately, their appartments (both of them) are right above the bar, which plays loud music from noon till midnight. Our evenings, which were supposed to be quiet and relaxing, ended up being stressful with the constant bass-sound underneath.
We were forced to go to bed at midnight (having young children, I quite like to go to bed earlier!) simply because the noise prevented us to sleep.
There is also a large outside sitting area right outside the front door of the appartments, which would be lovely to sit on, if the fumes of their kitchen wouldn't pollute the air (we're talking big time dark smelling fumes of burnt meat from early morning till late evening).

On the positive side: the reception girls are lovely and helpful. Their indoor swimming pool is great on a rainy day and the hotel looks really nice and clean, though their fitness room equipment looks very tired and old and in desperate need of maintenance.
The hotel rooms opposite our place looked really nice and we wished we had booked a normal hotel room there.
We had all the stuff we needed in the kitchen for everything we wished for, including a washer-dryer.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family