“Great hotel, Amazing service”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, Amazing service”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed for 4 nights and was very impressed by the high level of customer service. Right from the time of arrival, until the time we left, all the staff were really friendly, particularly Juan who was ever so helpful. Location of this hotel is great, away from the noise of St. Peter Port and a lovely walk through gardens into town.

We stayed in a room with a sea view and a balcony. The room was recently refurbished and it was really comfortable and quiet, which was really important to us. It was also meticulously cleaned each day. Had breakfast in room each day and it always turned up on time, and with extras when we asked for them. Bathrobes are the best I've ever seen in a hotel, really fluffy and quite heavy. Restaurant was good as well, we ate here one night, and again the service was outstanding, and the food was excellent.

The only thing I'd ask them to change would be the kitchen extractor fan - it makes a whining noise that spoils the tranquility in the bedrooms. Would definitely stay here again if coming to Guernsey. Many thanks.

Room Tip: Get a superior room with a balcony and sea view if you can as they are lovely.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tmansfield
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear butterfly_caught

Thank you for your excellent review of your recent stay at the hotel and for all of its kind comments therein, they have been relayed on to all the Team here and were much appreciated, especially by Juan!

I would, however, apologise for any inconvenience the noise from the extractor fan caused you, but am pleased to be able to advise you that we will soon be having baffles fitted to the ducting to silence the whining.

If we can ever be of service to you again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel and in the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Stephen Purtill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Turkish first
Cumbria
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed in this beautiful hotel for three days and every moment was a great example of how a hotel should treat its guests. From the friendly voice on the phone when I confirmed my booking, through ALL the staff during my stay to the charming farewell when I left, I couldn't ask for more (and I often do!)

My room was very nicely decorated with a really comfy bed and all latest fixtures in bathroom. Loved the Faberge toiletries. Breakfast was very good with lots of choice and prompt, helpful service. I had a superb meal in the Leopard restaurant - chef Jack conjured up a wonderful fresh fish dish) and cocktails at the bar were created with a big smile! The hotel decor is contemporary with a traditional twist and I loved the black & white tiling.

Everyone I met was really helpful and, having stayed at another Red Carnation hotel in London, I was pleased to see that their high standard of excellent customer service is very much in evidence here.

Room Tip: I had one at the front and it was quiet but maybe there are ones over the pool with a nice view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Dear QuirkyTraveller09

Thank you for your very comprehensive and excellent review of your recent stay at the hotel. Your comments have been relayed to all the Team here and were much appreciated, especially by Jack! It was a pleasure to meet you and have you stay with us and I am so glad we are meeting your expectations of a Red Carnation Hotel, after our refurbishment and re-opening earlier in the year.

You are quite right in expecting the rooms at the rear of the hotel to enjoy lovely views of the harbour and neighbouring islands of Herm and Sark and I would be pleased to personally arrange for you to stay in one of these rooms should you wish to come and stay with us again.

In the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at alll times.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

From the time of our arrival, up until our departure the staff at this hotel were always smiling and the service was exceptional, in peticular the supervisor at breakfast named Olga, who knows all about real customer care, and went the extra mile every day,ensuring all guests were happy... What a great asset to this hotel, along with the Maitre'd David who excelled in the service he also gave during our stay...Our room was finished to a very high standard, spacious and kept very clean at all times...This Hotel is situated just a short walk to most restaurants, and local shops...The hotel offers all that one would expect service, professional staff and a real classy hotel.

Room Tip: Suites and high floors are really great.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Dear Wendy S

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. I have relayed your comments on to all those concerned, especially David and Olga and they were much appreciated.

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Guernsey and the facilities at the hotel and it was a pleasure to be of service to you.

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Had a wonderful evening with friends at the Leopard Bar & Restaurant recently. We started in the very chic bar where we sipped chilled Prosecco served in iced flutes and enjoyed complimentary cheese toasts before going through to the restaurant for a lovely dish of grilled fish with risotto which was beautifully presented and tasted divine. The newly refurbished bar, restaurant and sun terrace have a great atmosphere and the very charming and attentive staff create a very comfortable environment to enjoy drinks, a relaxed lunch/dinner or just an afternoon snack on the terrace. There is something special about the whole mix and I would recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere with a touch of relaxed class.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JoFr78
Dear JoFr78

Thank you for your kind review of your evening in the Leopard Bar and and Restaurant, your comments seemed to capture the experience we want our patrons to enjoy and were much appreciated by all those concerned.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future and I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Dublin
Reviewed 30 June 2012

The DOR's recent refurb is a terrific success, especially the new location of the restaurant. It's now a much more comfortable space in which to spend time, either relaxing in the bar with one of Orlando's neon coloured cocktail creations, or glass of fine wine, or enjoying a terrific meal in the restaurant next door, under David and team's attentive care.
The new bedrooms have received a great makeover, beds are über cosy and difficult to leave in the morning!
The restaurant's menu has also had an overhaul. Breakfast was always terrific with a wide range to chose from either the buffet or kitchen. Dinner options are great. The standard of food is really high, not totally reflected by the physical menu, the only item I would change. The good thing being that when your meal arrives, you are even more impressed.

But the best thing about the DOR is the staff - all terrific. From reception, to bar and restaurant and housekeeping. So professional and so very friendly. They just cannot do enough to help make your stay enjoyable.

2 Thank nmacd
, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear nmacd

Thank you for your excellent review and for all of its kind comments therein, they have been relayed on to all those concerned, especially David and Orlando and were much appreciated.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am so glad you like the results of the refurbishment and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This hotel has been restyled and the price put up!
The hotel could have been in Kent and not Guernsey.
Shame it did not have more of a local theme or feel.
Clean with good sea views.
I have stayed at sister hotel nearby OGH and this is another version.
My only criticism is that it's very over priced but nice.

1 Thank Leicboi
, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Lecboi

Thank you for your comments. While our rates have increased, this follows a multi-million pound refurbishment which has lead to us being upgraded from a three to a four-star hotel. In addition, we have virtually doubled the number of staff and invested heavily in their training and development, in order to make the Duke of Richmond one of the most comfortable and best run hotels on the island.

We have received many very positive comments about the changes that have been made and I am sorry that the style of decor is not to your liking.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

As a business, finding an exhibition place in Guernsey can be a challenge, but everything is made so easy for you if you talk to the Duke of Richmond hotel in St Peter Port. We have now exhibited 6 times in Guernsey, and the staff all know us well and understand our needs. For two days, we use the Richond suite to exhibit our instruments. The staff are always at hand to help us with details, refreshments, air conditioning, looking for more chairs and tables, and they do it all with no fuss and great discretion. The bedrooms have recently been refurbished, although they were already of a high standard, but they are even better now and will definitely provide you with peace and quiet for a good night sleep. The whole experience is thoroughly enjoyable, and we wish to thank Mr Hilario Pinto, Conference and Banqueting Manager, and Mr Stephen Purtill, General Manager in particular for their excellent service and very personable touch.
We strongly recommend the Duke of Richmond to anybody looking for special treatment in this beautiful island!

Cecile Liimon,
Cardiff Violins Ltd
029 20 22 77 61

Room Tip: You may like to ask for a view on the sea
Dear Cecile L

Thank you for your comprehensive review of the hotel. It has always been a real pleasure to be of service to Cardiff Violins and to spend time catching up with you and your husband and the rest of your team when you are not busy working.

I am so glad you like the new improvements since your last visit and we look forward to hosting your very successful exhibitions for many years to come.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins
Best Western Moores Central Hotel

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!