“Fantastic”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The accomodation is wonderful. furnishings and decor, luxury but at same time comfort is paramount. The staff are extremely welcoming, polite and go out of their way to ensure your stay is memorable. The accomodation is well worth the cost. The location is perfect close enough to centre but in a quiter area.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies but was made aware of at least one above air con unit.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Dear lynn b

Thank you for your recent review and for all of your kind comments therein, they are much appreciated.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am glad you had a memorable experience at the hotel, which is what we would like all our guests to enjoy.

If we can ever be of service to you again, pleasae do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Staff are excellent and friendly at every point.The refurbishment means that a third of the rooms are still in need of the changes,this will not happen until the autumn.So ask for the refurbished rooms we saw two and they were fabulous!Unfortunately we thought that the whole hotel had been transformed and found ourselves in a room needing updating and found the bed small and the edges soft. The food is excellent at fine dining level,the chefs are excellent as are the restaurant staff and the maitre de especially helpful.The evening menu could well do with expanding, the fish courses are fantastic.Once the full work has been done then we can see this becoming a very good five star hotel.

Room Tip: Refurbished sea view,the higher you are the better the sea view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear ProphetD

Thank you for your recent review and for all of its kind comments therein, they have been relayed to the staff of the hotel and were much appreciated.

You are correct in saying that the remainder of the hotels bedrooms will be refurbished to Red Carnation standards over the winter months and we continue to expand the dinner menu with time.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to stay in one of the newly refurbished rooms at your earliest pleasure.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We have just returned from a very enjoyable week's stay here. It's in a nice quiet location close to the edge of town and was ideal for us. Be aware that it's a bit of a steep (though pleasant) walk down to the town and back if you're not fit - but you will be a lot fitter by the end of the week! Very comfortable room, exquisitely cooked breakfast and outstanding service, nothing was ever any trouble and all done with a friendly smile, we really felt well looked after. All the staff are a real credit to this hotel.
If we could change one thing it would be the restaurant menu which, as somebody else mentioned, was more akin to pub food or a burger bar and not really in keeping with the rest of the hotel. This was a real shame because on the 1 night we ate there, the quality and presentation of the food served was excellent - we would certainly have eaten there more had the choice been better. All in all though, very happy. We would certainly have no hesitation in returning.

2  Thank Beebod
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Dear Beebod

Thank you for your recent review and for all of its kind comments about the service you received at the hotel, they have been relayed on to the Team and were much appreciated.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am glad you enjoyed your experience in the restaurant, despite your initial misgivings about the menu. This continues to evolve and for example, we currently always have at least two Catch of the Day Specials available and have increasingly been catering for special requests by our valued patrons.

We very much hope that you will return to stay again with us soon and in the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Had a lovely 3 night stay in the duke of richmod hotel.the decor and layout of the hotel are excellent.the staff were very welcoming and very attentive to our every need.the breakfast was delicious with an excellent spread provided each morning-very tasty and cooked to our specific needs.thanks to all the staff for making our stay so relaxing and enjoyable.just what was needed.look forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear 12th

Thank you for your review of your recnt stay at the hotel and for all of its kind comments therein, they have been relayed on to the Team here and were much appreciated.

I am glad you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

In the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed for 4 nights and was very impressed by the high level of customer service. Right from the time of arrival, until the time we left, all the staff were really friendly, particularly Juan who was ever so helpful. Location of this hotel is great, away from the noise of St. Peter Port and a lovely walk through gardens into town.

We stayed in a room with a sea view and a balcony. The room was recently refurbished and it was really comfortable and quiet, which was really important to us. It was also meticulously cleaned each day. Had breakfast in room each day and it always turned up on time, and with extras when we asked for them. Bathrobes are the best I've ever seen in a hotel, really fluffy and quite heavy. Restaurant was good as well, we ate here one night, and again the service was outstanding, and the food was excellent.

The only thing I'd ask them to change would be the kitchen extractor fan - it makes a whining noise that spoils the tranquility in the bedrooms. Would definitely stay here again if coming to Guernsey. Many thanks.

Room Tip: Get a superior room with a balcony and sea view if you can as they are lovely.
1  Thank tmansfield
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear butterfly_caught

Thank you for your excellent review of your recent stay at the hotel and for all of its kind comments therein, they have been relayed on to all the Team here and were much appreciated, especially by Juan!

I would, however, apologise for any inconvenience the noise from the extractor fan caused you, but am pleased to be able to advise you that we will soon be having baffles fitted to the ducting to silence the whining.

If we can ever be of service to you again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel and in the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed in this beautiful hotel for three days and every moment was a great example of how a hotel should treat its guests. From the friendly voice on the phone when I confirmed my booking, through ALL the staff during my stay to the charming farewell when I left, I couldn't ask for more (and I often do!)

My room was very nicely decorated with a really comfy bed and all latest fixtures in bathroom. Loved the Faberge toiletries. Breakfast was very good with lots of choice and prompt, helpful service. I had a superb meal in the Leopard restaurant - chef Jack conjured up a wonderful fresh fish dish) and cocktails at the bar were created with a big smile! The hotel decor is contemporary with a traditional twist and I loved the black & white tiling.

Everyone I met was really helpful and, having stayed at another Red Carnation hotel in London, I was pleased to see that their high standard of excellent customer service is very much in evidence here.

Room Tip: I had one at the front and it was quiet but maybe there are ones over the pool with a nice view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Dear QuirkyTraveller09

Thank you for your very comprehensive and excellent review of your recent stay at the hotel. Your comments have been relayed to all the Team here and were much appreciated, especially by Jack! It was a pleasure to meet you and have you stay with us and I am so glad we are meeting your expectations of a Red Carnation Hotel, after our refurbishment and re-opening earlier in the year.

You are quite right in expecting the rooms at the rear of the hotel to enjoy lovely views of the harbour and neighbouring islands of Herm and Sark and I would be pleased to personally arrange for you to stay in one of these rooms should you wish to come and stay with us again.

In the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at alll times.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

From the time of our arrival, up until our departure the staff at this hotel were always smiling and the service was exceptional, in peticular the supervisor at breakfast named Olga, who knows all about real customer care, and went the extra mile every day,ensuring all guests were happy... What a great asset to this hotel, along with the Maitre'd David who excelled in the service he also gave during our stay...Our room was finished to a very high standard, spacious and kept very clean at all times...This Hotel is situated just a short walk to most restaurants, and local shops...The hotel offers all that one would expect service, professional staff and a real classy hotel.

Room Tip: Suites and high floors are really great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Dear Wendy S

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. I have relayed your comments on to all those concerned, especially David and Olga and they were much appreciated.

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Guernsey and the facilities at the hotel and it was a pleasure to be of service to you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!