“Excellent service ”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
“Excellent service ”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I have never written a review before but after staying for 3 nights last weekend felt I should. I was in a group doing the annual island walk and we were impressed with the hotel and staff from when we arrived. Then when the hotel found out we were doing the walk they left energy drinks/bars in our rooms and had water and bananas ready for us when we left at 4am to do the walk. On our return in the evening having completed the walk we were given free celebratory drinks at the bar. Guernsey was lovely and I'll definitely be returning and when I do will certainly book in to the DOR.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Kevin P,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to share with other travellers about your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel. Our team were delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us so much that you were compelled to write your very first review on TripAdvisor.

It was extremely motivating for all of us to learn you and your friends appreciated our friendly service and the little touches we provided for you ahead of the charity walk you were taking part in, not so strenuous. My colleagues were only too pleased to offer you and your friends a drink to celebrate your worthy achievement!

We would like to hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you and your friends to our hotel next time you decide to visit our island.

Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Prompt and friendly check in designer chic hotel look. Room small but very well furnished with high quality soft furnishings, also spotless as was the small bathroom. First class beds with nice quality linen. Even though there was a large wedding on there was no disturbance or noise as the conference rooms are in the basement of the hotel. Staff are very welcoming and offer a 5 star service with a smile. Breakfast was outstanding, everything was of a high standard as was the menus and service, the kitchen is open for guests to view. Sheltered heated pool though we did not try it. Plenty of outdoor seating, and the hotel offers afternoon tea that equals any and is good value. Within a short walk are beautiful gardens that offer tea rooms with views that are unrivalled, that you could spend hours enjoying.

Now on to how they need to improve: Dinner menus limited and while not overpriced are not what they say on the ticket and that goes for the special board. If you ask if they are whole fish, they say yes and then you get a half fillet, although the quality is average, and as another example I have never come across a hotel that offers scallops and asparagus and then only serves up the asparagus as a source, when one would expect fresh shoots. Very disappointing and when a complaint was made all one gets is a sorry with no effort to correct the misleading statements made verbally and in writing. The service was also disappointing as the Polish staff were having private conversations rather than providing the service one would expect and is standard at breakfast. All in all though they are very pleasant and friendly, look smart and are willing. You would have to go far to better them even at the OGH, in fact other guests whom that have also stayed at the OGH are of the vies that the staff are 5star and would prefer to stay here. One guest we spoke too had an accident at the hotel breaking her wrist, only had praise for all the staff and the hospital in the Island having had to have pins inserted in her hand.
One other small thing, the bath towels are very small if you are large but they have very nice thick dressing gowns in every room.

Room Tip: Sorry about rating of the fitness centre and spar but we could not get rid of it on this site, there...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Glen B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us at The Duke of Richmond Hotel.

I was pleased to learn that you were impressed with many aspects of your stay, namely the ambience and style of the hotel itself, your room, welcome and breakfast and I was also particularly happy to learn that you enjoyed afternoon tea on the terrace. We are indeed fortunate to be situated in such a wonderful spot with beautiful views over the harbour and our sister islands of Herm, Jethou and Sark.

We receive many good comments about our service and standards in the restaurant so It was very disappointing to learn that not everything was as perfect as it should have been when you dined with us. Please rest assured that I will be discussing your feedback with the whole team to ensure that the information and descriptions we give are accurate and that appropriate product training is given so that incidences such as this do not happen again in future.

I have also instructed our Reservations team to make a note on your guest profile so that we can offer you larger towels should you stay with us again. Regarding your note about the Spa and fitness centre, whilst you are correct that we do not have the facilities at The Duke of Richmond we are able to make arrangements for our guests to use the gym at our sister hotel The OGH and spa treatments can be booked in The Spa at The OGH as well.

I value all comments, positive as well as negative, as it is only through feedback such as your that we are able to ensure that we are providing the service and standards that our guests expect of us. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Duke of Richmond Hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Naples, Italy
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at the hotel last week for my birthday. The hotel staff could not be more accomodating and made us feel so welcome and comfortable. Our first day there they gave us as many information as we needed; always with a smile! The hotel itself is really nice, very cozy and in a great location. When we returned in the evening there was a nice cake and a message from the Management, with the compliments of the hotel. Rooms are well appointed with all the comforts. Breakfast was also excellent and the staff very attentive. I am sincerely looking forward to go back as soon as I can!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear TheItalianChemist,

Thank you for finding the time to post this amazing review on TripAdvisor! It gave me the greatest pleasure to share your kind comments with our team who were delighted to learn how much you enjoyed staying with us and that you are planning to come back.

I was very pleased to read that you found our rooms well-appointed, comfortable and that you enjoyed breakfast and the team’s attentive service with a smile!
It was also wonderful that you enjoyed a birthday cake from us all and hope that it made a nice finish to this special day for you.

We sincerely hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel next time you decide to have a relaxing and enjoyable holiday on our beautiful island!

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here overnight on a business trip and all told it was very good with just one or two details letting it down for me.

The staff at the hotel were excellent, very welcoming, friendly and attentive and you'd could tell that they knew some of the regular guests well.

The room was nice enough although the bathroom a bit on the small side. There was a good selection of TV channels and free wifi with a code you get on the card when you check in.

The odd things about this hotel is that it has some really nice little quirks, jars of sweets in the public areas that you can help yourself too, there's a robe and slippers in the room to use and a good selection of toiletries. Then some small details that just seem out of character, like instant Nescafé coffee in the room, truly awful, an over bath shower that was not all that great, no iron or ironing board, you have to ask for one and then probably the smallest towels I have found in all the hotels I've stayed in!, Think a super max hand towel! Strange really given that it does so many other things so well.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I'd take my own coffee and probably a towel too!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Johnathan M
Dear Johnathan M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Duke of Richmond Hotel with other travellers. I was delighted to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us and were made to feel welcome by the team. It will give me great pleasure to share this with them.

I was however disappointed to learn that some aspects of your stay fell short of your expectations and please rest assured that I will be addressing these issues with the team to see how we can resolve them. In the meantime I have asked our reservations team to make a note in your guest profile so that we have an iron and ironing board and large bath towels in your room should you choose to stay with us again. We will also look to improve the quality of the coffee in our bedrooms following your comments.

Thank you for choosing The Duke of Richmond Hotel and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again in the near future.

Cloughey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

When we arrived the receptionist gave us a very warm welcome, she give us our room key and said that if we would like to upgrade we could do so. As we were visiting relatives they also accompanied us to our room which was first class but not big enough so we asked to look at other rooms, this was no problem as the young man who had brought are bags went off and returned with 3 room keys, he took us to the rooms and we decided to take room 212 which was big and well presented. During our 4 day stay the staff throughout the hotel were excellent nothing was too much trouble. We really enjoyed our breakfast with plenty to choose from (hot and Cold). We also invited our relatives back to the hotel for a evening meal the night before we were due to leave and everyone praised the staff. The menu had a full selection of food, Fish Steak etc- the Lamb and Lemon soul were fantastic. When we go back to Guernsey again we will defiantly stay in this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the large park beside the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Brian D,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful feedback with other travellers following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel. We were very happy to learn that you were very impressed with friendliness and warm welcome from our staff. I was also delighted to read that having seen some of our bedrooms you found them all first class and that the elegantly presented superior room you chose was spacious and comfortable.

It is also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and the lamb and lemon sole you had in our Leopard Restaurant was very much enjoyed by you and your relatives. I was also delighted to commend our Restaurant team for their excellent service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Duke of Richmond Hotel next time you decide to visit our beautiful island!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Me, my wife and our 2 year old had a fantastic little break at this lovely hotel. We had a huge room with a king size bed, and they knew we were with a baby and provided a cotbed aswell. The food was excellent, our baby was very fussy at breakfast and sfaff offered different options of breakfast for our baby. A big Thank you to Nuria who was so attentive to our baby boy. We will stay there again if we visit Guernsey.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank eacp
Dear Eacp,

We were delighted to receive this fabulous review following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel. I will be very happy to share with our team that you and your lovely baby son found our family rooms spacious and comfortable. Our chefs are always very pleased to hear that the food they thoughtfully prepared is of excellent quality and that breakfasts are appreciated even by our youngest guests!

I will be very happy to pass your kind comments to Nuria for her attentive and friendly service.

We hope we will have another opportunity of welcoming your family to our hotel next time you decide to have a holiday on our beautiful island!

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The room, the attention to detail and the whole hotel was amazing, and the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. And tea at the Old Government House Hotel, the other hotel of the Red Carnation Group is a must!

Room Tip: Junior suite with sun patio is fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Priordate
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Priordate,

Thank you for your wonderful review which I was delighted to share with our team and am pleased that their attention to detail and friendly efficient service ensured that you had a memorable visit.

I am sure my colleagues at our sister hotel, the OGH, will be delighted with your lovely comments about their afternoon tea, which is indeed extremely popular amongst visitors and islanders alike!

We all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are in Guernsey.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!