“Nice place”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
netherlands
“Nice place”
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I stayed here for a couple of nights. My office has booked me into a standard room which I found comfortable and well laid out; wi-fi connection also came in handy. As I had to prepare some documents for the meeting next morning I decided to dine in and was not disappointed (I would particularly recommend their house-made desserts). Restaurant Manager was very helpful with his wine suggestions.
Due to the nature of my business I have stayed in many hotels and the Duke of Richmond is among those I would happily recommend to others.
At the Duke I immediately felt very welcome, the hotel staff was always very nice and friendly. I had to reschedule my future booking to another date and it was no problem at all. Girls at reception, always helpful and attentive, were very efficient.
Hotel is located in a quiet area yet within easy walking distance to the town centre, close not only to many offices, but also to their best pubs and restaurants.
All in all I was very happy with my experience at this hotel, from my point of view it was a good value for money

• Liked — location, attentive staff
2 Thank rensklen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
St Germans, Saltash, Cornwall, UK
Reviewed 31 October 2008

Excellent re furbished rooms. Great sea views & good location. Breakfasts superb. But more than anything the staff go the extra mile. Will be back ...again

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank BytheQuay
Norfolk
Reviewed 29 October 2008

My family and I had the pleasure of visiting this hotel in mid October for seven nights. We selected The Duke of Richmond because first, we had stayed at the hotel before (albeit quite a number of years' ago) and second, because of its proximity to the Candie Gardens Museum and Art Gallery where we were involved in the opening of the Toplis Art Exhibition and the launch of the Centenary edition of the limited edition of The Book of Sark.

We found the hotel modernised and refurbished to a very high standard. We were able to entertain our guests of varying ages and mobility needs and we were delighted throughout with the professional assistance and service from each and every member of staff from reception, public areas, restaurants and services.

The ambiance of the hotel was comfortable and peaceful - even though the hotel had several large functions taking place (none of which imposed upon our needs and the needs of the other residents). We found access to all areas appropriate to our low-mobility guest and discretion at all times for our visitors and non-resident guests.

The location in terms of access to the centre of St Peter Port was excellent - straight through the pleasant Candie Gardens on a dry day and a short taxi journey home on a wet evening! For the more active, a stroll to the Beau Sejour Centre (utilising the hotel's privileged pass for sport) proved a splendid way to pass several hours.

In all, I believe that I can, unreservedly, recommend this hotel to all visitors seeking excellent service, splended cuisine and peaceful, spacious accommodation.

Our thanks to all.

• Liked — Spacious, clean and well appointed.
  • Disliked — Temperature (very warm)
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Estelle1998
UK
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I stayed here on a business trip for a few nights, since my usual hotel was fully booked. The atmosphere in the hotel was quite refreshing - not stuck up as some hotels on Guernsey who seem to think they are running a Park Lane hotel (wtf?), no calling me Sir all the time (which really, really annoys me) and straightforward service.

It's still within walking distance of SPP, and in a more tranquil setting than some hotels. I liked the fact that the Beau Sejour centre is a 2 minute walk with its excellent sports facilities. Rather than have a half-assed fitness room, the hotel has a discount pass that allows use of the centre on a turn-up-and-pay basis.

The hotel bar is nice and relaxed, and they have a great menu. The food was of a very good standard. Breakfast was also good (and they also have some good looking waitresses at this hotel).

Bad points are; parking, and if you get one of the older rooms the decor. Having said that the cleaning standards are good. Oh and I just remembered this - every evening I got a knock on the door from the maids asking if I wanted any more tea/coffee/biscuits for the in-room facilities. If anyone from the hotel is reading this - can you tell them not to do it please as it's plain bizarre!

Milngavie
Reviewed 14 October 2008

The hotel was impeccably clean; my suite was very comfortable; the food was excellent; the staff were very friendly - indeed I could not have asked for more. I have travelled on four continents and there are those who say I am not easily pleased. Well I was very pleased with my stay at the Duke of Richmond and I would not hesitate to go back.

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — The climb up a hill from the town. Plenty taxis, though.
1 Thank CampsieMilngavie
Exeter
Reviewed 12 October 2008

We have just returned home after 4 wonderful days at the Duke of Richmond Hotel. From the minute the taxi picked us up at the airport (hotel arranged this for us) to the time we left it was brilliant. Reception, waiting, cleaners staff - everyone at the hotel were friendly, efficient and nothing was too much trouble. We loved it and would love to go back. Thanks for a great break! PS We went with another couple and they totally agree with us. Bob and Pam Hunt

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didnt like
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 27 September 2008

My family and I have just returned from a wonderful few days at the Duke of Richmond Hotel. We had fond memories of our stay there in 2003, so decided to choose this hotel once again for this trip. We wanted to time our trip to coincide with the dates of the Victor Hugo Music Festival that was taking place on the island. I rang the hotel to make a booking and a very polite and helpful gentleman offered to organise the whole package including flights and transfers for us and which we readily accepted as it saved us a great deal of time looking around and the price quoted was quite reasonable. Within a couple of days the confirmation letter was in our hands!

When we arrived at the hotel we were very pleasantly surprised with the changes we found since our last visit. The entrance hall has been completely renovated – very bright and stylish. More than that they have also added a cosy lounge area where we enjoyed a cream tea. Our superior room also newly refurbished had magnificent views over St Peter Port. Our son, who takes his laptop wherever he goes was very happy to discover that Wi-Fi was available in our room.

Unfortunately my husband was feeling not very well on the evening of our arrival and the porter very kindly served his meal in our room with great efficiency. The breakfast service in the main dining room too was excellent, with plenty of choice to suit all and again our small requests were never forgotten by the friendly and attentive staff.

Once again we had a fantastic time in Guernsey and will be definitely coming back to the Duke next year!

• Liked — excellent service
  • Disliked — had to leave too soon !
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!