“relaxing comfortable and friendly at the Duke of Richmond hotel”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 22 November 2008

My 3 friends and myself have recently returned from a weekend in Guernsey, where we stayed at the Duke of Richmond Hotel, in superior ajoining rooms with sea views. The rooms were spacious and all are needs were met on request. We arrived at 9.15 p.m. and there didnt seem to be enough towels in the bathroom, one phone call to reception and in seconds we had enough towels to open a shop.
The hotel is up hill from the shops, so I wouldnt advise people with walking difficulties and no car, to stay there.
But we enjoyed the 5 minute walk down to the harbour and the cobbled shopping street.
The friday we arrived there was a yahting club dinner dance on and the following night the masonics dinner was on, but it wasnt noisy, we had a drink in the seperate bar thats like an old ship, but last orders are 11.30 so don't expect a late night, its not that sort of place.
Breakfast was great, you had all the usual cereals, toast, fruit ect. to help yourself to. Followed by a choice of either scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, kippers,smoked haddock with poached egg, or full english. All served in a lovely breakfast room with conservatory attached with tables in also.
It is just a really nice hotel with personal service because its not too big. I have already booked for next october to return with my husband, because I would like him to benefit from the tranquility and pleasing surroundings in and outside the hotel. I have never written a review before I hope this helps.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank susanhighpeak

Reviewed 2 November 2008

I stayed here for a couple of nights. My office has booked me into a standard room which I found comfortable and well laid out; wi-fi connection also came in handy. As I had to prepare some documents for the meeting next morning I decided to dine in and was not disappointed (I would particularly recommend their house-made desserts). Restaurant Manager was very helpful with his wine suggestions.
Due to the nature of my business I have stayed in many hotels and the Duke of Richmond is among those I would happily recommend to others.
At the Duke I immediately felt very welcome, the hotel staff was always very nice and friendly. I had to reschedule my future booking to another date and it was no problem at all. Girls at reception, always helpful and attentive, were very efficient.
Hotel is located in a quiet area yet within easy walking distance to the town centre, close not only to many offices, but also to their best pubs and restaurants.
All in all I was very happy with my experience at this hotel, from my point of view it was a good value for money

2  Thank rensklen
Reviewed 31 October 2008

Excellent re furbished rooms. Great sea views & good location. Breakfasts superb. But more than anything the staff go the extra mile. Will be back ...again

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank BytheQuay
Reviewed 29 October 2008

My family and I had the pleasure of visiting this hotel in mid October for seven nights. We selected The Duke of Richmond because first, we had stayed at the hotel before (albeit quite a number of years' ago) and second, because of its proximity to the Candie Gardens Museum and Art Gallery where we were involved in the opening of the Toplis Art Exhibition and the launch of the Centenary edition of the limited edition of The Book of Sark.

We found the hotel modernised and refurbished to a very high standard. We were able to entertain our guests of varying ages and mobility needs and we were delighted throughout with the professional assistance and service from each and every member of staff from reception, public areas, restaurants and services.

The ambiance of the hotel was comfortable and peaceful - even though the hotel had several large functions taking place (none of which imposed upon our needs and the needs of the other residents). We found access to all areas appropriate to our low-mobility guest and discretion at all times for our visitors and non-resident guests.

The location in terms of access to the centre of St Peter Port was excellent - straight through the pleasant Candie Gardens on a dry day and a short taxi journey home on a wet evening! For the more active, a stroll to the Beau Sejour Centre (utilising the hotel's privileged pass for sport) proved a splendid way to pass several hours.

In all, I believe that I can, unreservedly, recommend this hotel to all visitors seeking excellent service, splended cuisine and peaceful, spacious accommodation.

Our thanks to all.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Estelle1998
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I stayed here on a business trip for a few nights, since my usual hotel was fully booked. The atmosphere in the hotel was quite refreshing - not stuck up as some hotels on Guernsey who seem to think they are running a Park Lane hotel (wtf?), no calling me Sir all the time (which really, really annoys me) and straightforward service.

It's still within walking distance of SPP, and in a more tranquil setting than some hotels. I liked the fact that the Beau Sejour centre is a 2 minute walk with its excellent sports facilities. Rather than have a half-assed fitness room, the hotel has a discount pass that allows use of the centre on a turn-up-and-pay basis.

The hotel bar is nice and relaxed, and they have a great menu. The food was of a very good standard. Breakfast was also good (and they also have some good looking waitresses at this hotel).

Bad points are; parking, and if you get one of the older rooms the decor. Having said that the cleaning standards are good. Oh and I just remembered this - every evening I got a knock on the door from the maids asking if I wanted any more tea/coffee/biscuits for the in-room facilities. If anyone from the hotel is reading this - can you tell them not to do it please as it's plain bizarre!

Reviewed 14 October 2008

The hotel was impeccably clean; my suite was very comfortable; the food was excellent; the staff were very friendly - indeed I could not have asked for more. I have travelled on four continents and there are those who say I am not easily pleased. Well I was very pleased with my stay at the Duke of Richmond and I would not hesitate to go back.

1  Thank CampsieMilngavie
Reviewed 12 October 2008

We have just returned home after 4 wonderful days at the Duke of Richmond Hotel. From the minute the taxi picked us up at the airport (hotel arranged this for us) to the time we left it was brilliant. Reception, waiting, cleaners staff - everyone at the hotel were friendly, efficient and nothing was too much trouble. We loved it and would love to go back. Thanks for a great break! PS We went with another couple and they totally agree with us. Bob and Pam Hunt

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!