“Unsurpassable Service”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
London, England, United Kingdom
“Unsurpassable Service”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just returned from an all too brief stay whilst on business locally. It’s been over a year since I last stayed but was a very welcome return. The hotel is high quality in every respect but what sets it aside from other establishments is the staff. Nothing is ever too much trouble, they are always attentive but never intrusive. Olga who manages the team in the restaurant is exceptional, a consummate professional who goes out of her way to ensure you have a perfect dining experience, I’ve never been anything but delighted with the food it’s always fresh, tasty, cooked to perfection and beautifully presented . I would agree with another reviewer the standard rooms are not vast but they are spotlessly clean, very well appointed with high quality fixtures and fittings, if you need acres of space book a superior room or suite. I look forward to my next visit whenever that may be.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon R
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Simon R,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to post your kind comments following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you received a warm welcome from all our team. It is wonderful that our comfortable, spotlessly clean room and delicious, beautifully presented food made your stay perfect. Most of all, I was delighted that you enjoyed the attentive and efficient service from our team, who will be extremely motivated to hear that. It will also be my pleasure to pass on your kind compliments to Olga, Restaurant Manager, who always ensures all our guests have a memorable experience whilst dining in our Leopard Restaurant.

We hope we have another opportunity of welcoming you back to The Duke of Richmond Hotel next time you will be coming to Guernsey.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Isle of Man
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on business. Room was small but adequate and the decor was...colorful. Bed was excellent, and with a bad back, I tend to remember bad ones! Breakfast lovely, with very attentive but unobtrusive staff. Probably only reason I wouldn't award 5, is the lack of space to work in the room. Small desk and just a stool to sit on at correct height. Ate in the Leopard restaurant one evening and it was very good, look for the fish specials.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear ManxMountaineers ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to read that you found our service attentive and that you enjoyed our breakfasts and fish from daily specials in our Leopard Restaurant. I am sorry you found your room not spacious enough to work in, and would like to assure you that we offer various room categories with separate sitting area and desk that you will find more comfortable next time you stay with us. I would like to ask you to contact me directly at the hotel and I will be very happy to assist you in choosing the most suitable room for your business needs.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to The Duke of Richmond Hotel next time you are in Guernsey.

Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay at this great hotel. Excellent room, spotless with good facilities. We had a large sea view room which overlooked the terrace although admittedly the "sea view" was a bit of an exaggeration! We could see the sea- just a long way in the distance and view largely blocked by a tree. Great room nonetheless. Majority of staff really friendly and nothing too much trouble. Good food and a nice location next to Candie Park which is worth a free visit! We are likely to be back sometime!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room with balcony if you can afford it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear KeithCheshire_UK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Duke of Richmond Hotel with other travellers. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed staying in our Superior Sea-view room, which you found spotlessly clean, with good facilities. We have noted your comments about the sea-view and will make a note about your preference on your profile for any future bookings. It will be my pleasure to pass your comments about friendly service and great food on to all our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Duke of Richmond Hotel next time you decide to visit Guernsey.

High Wycombe
Reviewed 19 August 2014

It is not often that you find a hotel that ticks ALL the boxes for you, but I do believe we have just found 'The One'!
My husband and I wanted a short break to celebrate our 28th Wedding Anniversary and, never having been to Guernsey before, we thought we'd give it a try.
What a revelation this hotel is - beautifully decorated in a very quirky style, everything spotlessly clean, wonderful food and one of the best hotel' breakfast choices' we have ever seen.
But the thing that makes this hotel different is the attention to the little details that in themselves seem small, but taken together lift the service to another level eg bottles of water and mini-towels left out in Reception in case you are going for a run or a walk; bottles of sunscreen etc left by the pool in case you have left yours in your room, I could go on............. They even presented us with an anniversary cake - and it was gluten -free to meet my needs!! Now THAT was impressive!!
Finally, but probably most important, are the staff. To ALL the helpful, polite and respectful staff, but especially to Nika at Reception, Carina in the Restaurant and Chef Elder we offer our heartfelt thanks for making our stay so unforgettable.
Will we be going back? Most definitely 'YES', and the sooner the better!!!

Dear Silverstriders,

I would like to thank for all your kind comments following your recent stay with us to celebrate your wedding anniversary. Our team were delighted to read that you have found your new home-away-from- home at The Duke of Richmond Hotel and that your short break left you with such unforgettable memories, which you would like to repeat very soon!
We were very pleased that you liked the quirkiness of the hotel décor, our spotlessly clean bedrooms and a variety of choice offered for breakfast.
I was happy that you had an opportunity to dine in The Leopard Restaurant and that you appreciated a surprise cake presented to you on your special night.
It will be my great pleasure to complement our truly amazing team on the helpful and efficient service you have given us top marks for, with special mention to Carina, Nika and Helder- they will be very happy to hear that!
We look forward to your next stay with us and if I can assist with any of the arrangements, please contact me directly at the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I recently returned from a 2 night stay in the Penthouse Suite at this fabulous hotel. It was spotlessly clean and tidy with excellent decor and a very comfortable bed. The manager and staff quite clearly work well together as a very effective team whose priority is exceptional customer service. We were there as a competition prize. We were greeted by name on arrival and throughout our stay which was very impressive. We had breakfasts, a champagne afternoon tea and dinner in the hotel restaurant. There was an amazing selection on the menus and particular dietary requirements were catered for. It was our first visit to Guernsey and the staff's friendliness and attention to detail gave us an excellent first impression not only of the hotel but also of Guernsey. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and hope to return in the not too distant future. A very big thank you to Lukas and his professional team for making our stay so memorable.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear LindaTottem,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments following your recent stay with us. It is fabulous that our warm welcome, attention to detail along with the elegant and comfortable settings of the hotel have given you an excellent first impression not only of The Duke of Richmond Hotel, but also of our beautiful Guernsey.

How very motivating for all of our team to learn that they made your stay special with their friendly and attentive service. It was wonderful that you found The Penthouse suite beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and beds comfortable. I was also very pleased to read you were impressed with our menu choices and that the dietary requirements, we happily catered for, allowed you to enjoy breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner with us.

We would like to hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you to our hotel once again in not too distant future!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, and were given a very small room.
One side of the bed was so close to the wall I could hardly get in / out!
The air con unit was noisy,we had to use it as the weather was very warm.
The bed linen was lovely, but all in all it was cramped for 2 people,staying 3 nights,and paying such a high price,we expected more.
Breakfast was poorly laid out, with the buffet area right next to the terrace door.
The first morning we sat on the terrace, as the sun was beautiful, but waited, and waited for service.
We eventually were offered tea / coffee, no menu.
Then we had no milk, then no condiments etc etc.then no sauces - we asked for black pepper, new cutlery and ketchup, out of the 3 items just one arrived!!

The table was very small and so we put 2 tables together and were asked ' are you expecting somebody' by a supervisor.The terrace was quiet with lots of empty tables.....

Breakfast was ok, eggs were over cooked and rubber like.I ordered smoked smalon and scrambled eggs, and not again.My husband ordered poached eggs and was brought fried eggs, he asked for it to be changed & so we ate separately!
The service was fragmented and with attitude.
For a hotel with this grade breakfast let it down.
The next 2 mornings we ate inside to try to get a better service.
This did not happen, we were asked 3 times to order and rushed, we don't expect to pay £175 / night for this type of service.
Coffee was slow to be refilled, we we told ' we are busy'!- So put more staff on duty......
We were served frozen bread, sent it back to be defrosted properly, and it arrived heavily toasted / burnt....
The place is pretentious, we wouldn't stay here again, this was booked for a special occasion and this let it down.

Room Tip: book elsewhere
2 Thank Suzi197
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Suzi197,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us. I was naturally so sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of your room and that you felt that the service at breakfast mean that your experience was not what you or I would have wished it to be.

I would like to assure you that the issues you have outlined in your feedback are not indicative of our service standards and that I will be discussing the issues raised with the whole team to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. I would also be pleased to have the opportunity to discuss your experience with you personally if you would contact me direct at the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I travelled with my family ( variously a 22 year old daughter , a 19 year old daughter and an 11 year old son and my wife ) this July for a family celebration. We were greeted as return guests having stayed there 6 days on each of our 3 visits to Guernsey 2007, 2012 and 2014. On each occasion the warmth of the staff and the level of service is consistently great. I read here of someone lamenting that there was only instant coffee in the room, ( a strange criteria for judgement ) to which I say, get out and take a coffee in one of the many cafes in St Peter Port At the Duke of Richmond the manner in which the staff relate to one another is reassuring. I can sense if the good manners are just for show and I have to say that all the staff from the front of house to the housemaids and waiters help create an ambience of genuine hospitality. Once you get beyond the decor in the lobby, you will find elegant suites that are heartwarming and as is said, long after you pay the price, you will have fond memories. When we travel from Australia we like style and comfort. You will find both here and in my experience, it is a place to which we love to return. The breakfast is very provident and worth taking time to enjoy as you plan your day. I am full of praise for the host of reasons here, which is totally deserved.

Room Tip: A 3rd floor room that faces Cambridge Park will give you a glimpse of the sunset over Castle Cornet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Peter W,

Thank you for this glowing review following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel for your family celebration. It was lovely to welcome you all back again to see the amazing transformation it has undergone as part of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection. I was delighted that you found our rooms elegantly decorated and comfortable and our breakfasts enjoyable.

It is wonderful that you have picked on a lovely, warm atmosphere inside the hotel, thanks to our great team of friendly and caring people, who are truly passionate about what they do.

We would like to thank you once again for recommending The Duke of Richmond Hotel to other travellers and are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next time you are in Guernsey.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!