“The Best All Round Hotel”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 29 July 2010

The Duke of Richmond Hotel is arguably the best hotel on the island, the staff work there socks off to make your stay with them is perfect. The food at the Duke of Richmond is of outstanding the quality and value. At the Front Desk they are so helpful, although language can be a problem sometimes. Room service can be a little slow in the mornings, I placed my breakfast order for 9:00 AM and it wasn’t delivered until 9:50PM, but admittedly the hotel was fully booked for the duration of our stay.
Moving on to the facilities the Duke of Richmond provides they are excellent, they have a Business Centre which is open daily from 7:30 AM to 10:30 AM. The Hotel has 5 allocated parking spaces opposite the hotel main entrance. They also have a Cocktail Bar, located opposite the main elevator, with light meals being served at lunch and dinner. If you require any laundry to be cleaned just ask at reception and it will usually be returned to you on the same day. They also have a residents lounge with a small selection of books, traditional board games, or if you just want to relax. They also have the award winning Cambridge Restaurant, if you would like to dine there; I would suggest you make a reservation, due to it being so busy all the time. They also have an outdoor swimming pool open each day from 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM, from Easter to October. Televisions in the rooms offer a good selection of channels, including satellite and Wi-Fi is available throughout the hotel. They have rooms to suit everybody and every budget, and excellent rooms. They have had one whole section of the Hotel Rooms refurbished which I have to say outstanding. They also offer very good rooms which you can see Jersey on a clear day.
The Hotel is Child Friendly I know this 100% because, I am a Child. And all the staff will always help you with anything. When I used to come to Guernsey I stayed with my Grandparents at the OGH, and I can see after many years of coming to Guernsey why we changed hotel.
So if you’re coming to Guernsey for whatever reason I strongly recommend you stay at the Duke of Richmond Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 July 2010

I have stayed many times at this hotel and is one of the better Island
hotels and have found the hotel very comfortable and efficient! really nice size hotel
not to small or to large.

Its in an excellent position however it is a small pleasant walk in to St Peter Port Town.
Some rooms are refurbished on park side and Sea View side the other
cheaper rooms are clean and comfortable.
I would recommend a refurbished room and the hotel is relaxing.
I will be returning in September!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I took my partner to Guernsey for a surprise birthday weekend away. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor and speaking to a friend who'd lived on Guernsey I decided to book 2 nights at The Duke of Richmond Hotel in St Peter Port. I'm very glad I made the choice. I found the staff extremely polite and helpful. On arrival we were told that we could check into our room early and that we could upgrade to a superior room for a grand total of £20 for the 2 nights we were staying. We were invited to look at the superior room and it was bigger and had a nicer bathroom so we happily paid the £20 as we considered it a bargain! The room was spacious and clean with a good size plasma screen TV.

The location of the hotel is very good for walking to and from St Peter Port. It is at the top of a steep hill though. We like walking and we didn't mind the hill at all but I think that some people may struggle a little with it.

The breakfast buffet along with menu choices is excellent and the portions that came from the kitchen were very generous. The breakfast staff were always attentive and friendly. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we didn't have time but the menu looked good. There is a nice bar and terrace where you can relax and have cocktails. We enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine. We also made use of the outdoor swimming pool which was well maintained and kept at a nice temperature.

Some of the decor in the hotel is a little dated but it isn't shabby and that certainly didn't bother us. In fact, it is probably part of the hotel's charm.

I would certainly go back to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor for this hotel I decided to book a week's stay for my wife and I. I made, in total, 4 separate contacts with this hotel - 2 by email on their own website's forms - and 2 by phone. Having received no contact whatsoever from this establishment I rang to find out the problem. I was looking for a reservation in October of this year and their website told me there was availability. What I wanted to speak about was a promotional offer involving a sea ferry journey that was offered on their site but was out of date - it referred to last year. On my first call I was assured that the offer was still in effect and I was to just put my details on their website, which I did. No reply. I emailed again. Still no reply. So I called again and the person who answered was most ignorant and offhand. After "checking" my story he said there was no availability - 3 months in advance - and hung up on me. This was a straight lie. I won't be going to this hotel and it leaves a nasty taste about the whole island of Guernsey. I think we'll go somewhere else. If this is how they treat their potential customers then they obviously don't need our money.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank brandydave
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

After nearly 9 years as General Manager of The Duke of Richmond Hotel and having read Mr Davies review on tripadvisor and then fully investigating the matter, this is the first time I have ever felt compelled to respond directly to any review of the hotel via the tripadvisor website, but I felt I could not leave unanswered, what I consider to be a factually incorrect, misleading and unfair version of his contact with the hotel.

We did indeed receive Mr Davies booking enquiry via our website’s booking enquiry facility on Sunday, 4th July 2010 and to which the hotel’s front office manager responded by E-mail the following day using the contact information as provided by Mr Davies. With not having received any subsequent acknowledgement of receipt of this E-mail or any direct contact from Mr Davies, she then followed this up with a second E-mail on Tuesday 6th July 2010 and also with several telephone calls that evening between 5:00pm and 6:00pm, but again, without any success. Finally, she tried to contact Mr Davies once more on Wednesday, 7th July 2010 between 9:00am and 3:00pm, again with no reply. We also acknowledge that Mr Davies then contacted the hotel by telephone on Friday, 9th July 2010 demanding to know why we had failed to contact him, shouting at the hotel’s reservationist, constantly interrupting him and threatening to post negative comments about the hotel on the tripadvisor website after he was advised we were unable to make a booking for him on the dates requested in October as we were already fully booked.

This review duly appeared and after investigating the matter, I wrote, by letter, to Mr Davies and advised him of the steps we had taken to contact him, enclosing hard copies of the E-mails we had sent to him and confirming that we were indeed fully booked on the dates requested. In light of this, I requested that he retract his comments posted on the tripadvisor website. Mr Davies then responded to me directly by E-mail querying several aspects of my letter to him. Namely, that he reiterated that he hadn’t received any E-mails from ourselves, nor any telephone calls, despite having an answering machine. Also questioning why we hadn’t offered him alternative dates to the ones as requested on his initial application form. I then responded to him by E-mail using the reply to sender function, as I noticed that his E-mail address as per the one he had sent me, was an AOL one and used a combination of upper and lower case letters, and not only lower case ones as per his initial application form as submitted by him. The hotel’s E-mail host (after verifying that we had indeed sent the E-mail responses) advised me that AOL are known to have firewall issues with certain E-mail addresses and whilst this should not matter, the mixture of upper and lower case letters may well have been a factor in why he failed to receive our front office manager’s E-mail responses in his In-Box. I pointed this out to Mr Davies in my E-mail response to him and at the same time asked whether he had checked his Junk-Box. I further assured him that the telephone calls had been made, but unfortunately was unable to verify the telephone calls having been made with our fixed line provider, Guernsey Cable and Wireless, as no actual contact was made with Mr Davies. Finally I advised him, that whilst I could understand the irritation he felt and referred to in his E-mail to me, there were clearly two versions of the ensuing telephone conversation with the hotel’s reservationist as referred to in the review. I am genuinely sorry that Mr Davies found the hotel’s reservationist ignorant and offhand and wrote to him as much, but equally he is only human and no-one likes to be constantly interrupted in his efforts to offer him alternative dates, etc, shouted at and then threatened with the posting of negative comments on the tripadvisor website. This is further evidenced by the comments made and the tone and tenor of his review, which I consider to be totally disproportionate for any irritation he may have unfortunately experienced, especially considering he hasn’t even stayed at the hotel! To this E-mail, Mr Davies then responded with two lines, querying why had he received my E-mail on this occasion and not the others and that this would be his final word on the matter. To which I responded by referring him to my earlier E-mail regarding the AOL issues and advising him that I had used the return to sender function.

In conclusion, whilst I genuinely regret the combination of factors that seem to have conspired to make Mr Davies’ contact with the hotel a negative experience, I maintain we took every reasonable effort to contact him. We are an independent stand-alone hotel and constantly strive to maintain and improve upon our hard-won reputation and I am not prepared to let Mr Davies’ potentially damaging comments remain unchallenged for the reasons I have outlined above. If any guest or potential client of the hotel has any reason to complain about any aspect of the service or facilities he or she has experienced at the hotel, they are welcome to contact me directly at the hotel at any time and I would be pleased to deal with the matter personally.

For The Duke of Richmond Hotel

P. S. Purtill MIH MBII

Reviewed 5 July 2010

From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. The room was excellent (119).
The restaurant and bar food was very tasty and well presented. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We spent a very contented and relaxing week in Guernsey. We were very well looked after, in particular the Maitre D' , Olga, who was always very friendly and super efficent, with a happy smile. The food was excellent - particularly the scrambled eggs and salmon at breakfast. Everytime we left the hotel the room was spotless when we returned.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

The location is good for the town, the rooms are very good standard and the food is excellent and tremendous value. We had all our evening meals in the hotel and the chef is to be commended.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple