We were visiting Guernsey with my Father and I wanted somewhere special to stay for 3 nights. Having searched Tripadvisor I was set on a couple of choices including OGH.
The Hotel proved to be perfect for us in every way.
Firstly the service was exceptional, there were so many examples as to the special touches, here's one example that stood out. On day 2 I had mentioned to the breakfast staff how much I love my Earl Grey tea. That night, I noticed only Earl Grey tea had been added to our in room tea caddy!
This may have all been pure coincidence, but based on our other experiences at OGH, I doubt it.
We dined the first night and enjoyed a superb dinner in the Brasserie Restaurant - we remember discovering an amazing wine from South Africa called Hannibal that was a brilliant accompaniment to our meal.
The public rooms are all spectacular with lots of wonderful historic travel posters / pictures throughout, along with an excellent gym and spa that my wife used & really enjoyed.
Our king room overlooked the entrance of the property and a small park outside.
Our room was beautiful with plenty of room and a luxurious big bathroom with L'Occitane amenities. It was the little touches everywhere that we loved:
- International plugs - I think UK, US & European
- Really powerful shower
- Tea Maker with a real kettle & tea pot, cleverly out of sight, in it's own cupboard
- Fantastic lighting, clearly well thought through and all on dimmers
- The most beautiful decor, including soft fabrics on the wallets
- Inner window system, making our room very quiet - we could not hear any noise outside
Finally, OGH is located a few minutes walk up from the main shopping area / Marina part of St Peter Port, it's a beautiful place to explore on foot. There was always something wonderful about watching the Island scene from the garden of the Hotel, the regular ferry services, the yachts and the occasional cruise ship coming into port.
We look forward to a return visit in future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of Guernsey's capital, St Peter Port, commanding amazing views across the harbour and neighbouring islands. Sea facing rooms with balcony, gourmet dining, luxurious spa and heated outdoor pool make this hotel a destination in itself on this charming island escape. Celebrating 150 years of hospitality in 2008, the hotel offers unrivaled levels of service and a full range of leisure and corporate facilities to the discerning traveller. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Old Government House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Government Hotel
- Hotel Old Government
- The Old Government House Hotel & Spa Guernsey, UK