“Perfect”

The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were visiting Guernsey with my Father and I wanted somewhere special to stay for 3 nights. Having searched Tripadvisor I was set on a couple of choices including OGH.

The Hotel proved to be perfect for us in every way.

Firstly the service was exceptional, there were so many examples as to the special touches, here's one example that stood out. On day 2 I had mentioned to the breakfast staff how much I love my Earl Grey tea. That night, I noticed only Earl Grey tea had been added to our in room tea caddy!

This may have all been pure coincidence, but based on our other experiences at OGH, I doubt it.

We dined the first night and enjoyed a superb dinner in the Brasserie Restaurant - we remember discovering an amazing wine from South Africa called Hannibal that was a brilliant accompaniment to our meal.

The public rooms are all spectacular with lots of wonderful historic travel posters / pictures throughout, along with an excellent gym and spa that my wife used & really enjoyed.

Our king room overlooked the entrance of the property and a small park outside.

Our room was beautiful with plenty of room and a luxurious big bathroom with L'Occitane amenities. It was the little touches everywhere that we loved:

- International plugs - I think UK, US & European
- Really powerful shower
- Tea Maker with a real kettle & tea pot, cleverly out of sight, in it's own cupboard
- Fantastic lighting, clearly well thought through and all on dimmers
- The most beautiful decor, including soft fabrics on the wallets
- Inner window system, making our room very quiet - we could not hear any noise outside

Finally, OGH is located a few minutes walk up from the main shopping area / Marina part of St Peter Port, it's a beautiful place to explore on foot. There was always something wonderful about watching the Island scene from the garden of the Hotel, the regular ferry services, the yachts and the occasional cruise ship coming into port.

We look forward to a return visit in future.

Room Tip: Room size - call the Hotel first before booking
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank westerndh
Management response:Responded 4 July 2011

Dear westerndh,

Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback following your stay at the OGH. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the service exceptional and the hotel comfortable. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with my team who will be delighted to hear that their efforts to offer an exceptional experience have been appreciated. I was also happy to hear that your wife enjoyed using the Gym and Spa.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Guernsey and The OGH in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Wow - this is such a great hotel. superb service, food (even at the pool!) and staff. Classic but comfortable luxurieus rooms. Love it!!

• Stayed: August 2010

Dear Boterkaasje,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the OGH. I was delighted to read that you found all aspects of your stay to be great. I will be pleased to share your comments with my team who, I know will be happy to hear that their efforts to ensure that our guests have an exception experience were appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the OGH again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Like ALG027 we too found our bedroom very small. In fact based on his review we did attempt to up-grade on arrival but sadly they could only offer us a larger room or suite for one night, then it would have meant changing to the SMALL bedroom, so we didn't bother. So if you like a bit of elbow room I suggest you book early. That was really our only observation, we have no complaints, it is a world-class hotel, you'll be taken very good care of. Just one other thing, breakfast, it was a bit hit and miss, one day perfect the next not so good but I'm confident that if I'd have said something they would have prepared me another breakfast. Nice place, nice people running it. By the way try The Swan around the corner, a lovely pub serving wonderful food at affordable prices and real ale.

1  Thank caribbeanskipper

Dear caribbeanskipper,
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us at the OGH. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt well looked after by our team. I am sorry that you found your room small and that we were unable to offer a larger room for the duration of your stay. I have made a note on your guest profile so that, should you return to the OGH, we can recommend a larger room type for you. Thank you also for bringing the discrepancies in breakfast service to my attention. I have discussed this with our Kitchen and Restaurant teams to ensure that consistency of standards are maintained at all times. We look forward to welcoming you back to the OGH in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2011

The Old Government House Hotel is in a great location. It's a charming old building with two restaurants and a small but pleasant bar overlooking the garden. My room overlooked the back of the hotel and was comfortable and well equipped. I loved the L'Occitane products in the bathroom and the bed and pillows were fabulous. They probably have the most luxurious dressing gowns I have come across too! I had a wonderful dinner (crab and prawns followed by steak). It was great. My room service breakfast was fabulous too. Great coffee and fantastic croissant. However, Old Government House is an unusual place - perhaps deliberately. They have a wonderful building but someone there has an a great enthusiasm for installing suspended ceiling tiles. They are everywhere and look foul and are completely at odds with the rest of the style of the place - chintzy and homely. They need to style police in! I must confess that I found the formality of the staff a little much in a small place - it's not Paris or New York - so the heavily suited staff (all wearing red carnations?!), especially in the lobby and the restaurant seemed out of place and frankly a bit tacky - it doesn't really work, although my elderly aunt would love it! Nevertheless, I would stay again. The food is great and the bed was fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank francophileonthemove

Dear francophileonthemove,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the OGH. I was very pleased to read that you found the hotel comfortable and enjoyed dining in the restaurant and I will be delighted to share your kind words with my team. I have also noted your comments regarding the suspended ceilings in the bathrooms; a large number of our rooms have undergone refurbishment and we are looking foward to completing the remaining rooms in the near future but I have spoken to our Maintenance team to ensure that they keep an eye on these tiles to make sure that they are kept in good condition and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the OGH in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

Cannot praise this hotel highly enough. Every moment we stayed in the hotel we were treated like royalty. We tried their famous afternoon tea, we had the hotel make us a picnic for a beach day, we used the spa.....nothing was too much trouble, and every aspect was 5 star. We will definitely be back agains soon.

Room Tip: Try the Herm Suite for a first class view
1  Thank mikebailey1965
Management response:Responded 17 June 2011

Dear mikebailey1965,
Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your recent stay with us at the OGH. I am delighted to hear that our team helped to make your visit so enjoyable and we all look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2011

Just returned to UK after spending 2 nights at this hotel on business. The smell of Lilies as you enter the lobby is over powering. It stinks, they are even on the table when you eat breakfast, the smell reminded me of a funeral. Room was nice, but was kept awake all night by next door's TV. The walls are so thin you hear everything. Staff are very pleasant and always smiling. Quite old fashioned decor and the lounge very wierd in presentation. Wouldn't go back, Duke of Normandie Hotel just down the road is nicer and cheaper.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Eve888m
Reviewed 6 June 2011

On a whim we visited Guernsey for 1 night for my boyfriend's birthday and booked a room in this fabulous hotel just that afternoon. We never normally stay at such expensive and exclusive hotels but as it has had such good reviews and been top of the Tripadvisor list for so long, we decided to give it a go for this special occasion.
And we were so glad we did as we agree with all the positive remarks. Our room - 321 - was apparently newly refrbished which was reflected in the price but it was beautiful and the bed was so comfortable we had a great nights sleep. The service from the staff was impeccable and they couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was fine and the common rooms tastefully decorated but we didn't have time to enjoy them.
I would highly recommend you try this hotel - even if its only once like us!
Thanks again to them for a memorable night.

2  Thank CarolinexxW
Management response:Responded 17 June 2011

Dear CarolinexxW,
I was delighted to read the review of your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. It will be my pleasure to share your kind comments with my team who, I know will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us. I hope that we may welcome you both back to the OGH in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to The Old Government House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!