“Superb staff and service”

The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Leicester
“Superb staff and service”
Reviewed 19 August 2008

My goodness me-if ever an hotel deserves it's 4 stars then this is the one. In fact 5 stars would not go amiss. My wife and myself stayed here from August 13th to the 17th. and from the moment we arrived were made to feel important visitors. The staff here are second to none. From reception, through to waiters, from customer relations to maids ,you will NEVER EVER come across a more friendly, corteous and obliging team. The manager deserves full congratulations for his recruitment skills.
The hotel itself is spotlessly clean and full of the most beautiful furniture and fine works of art. The dining rooms boast and provide the most splendid menues. The gardens and swimming pool area are, needless to say, immaculate. The choice of bedrooms are varied and all are exceptionally clean and well maintained. Whilst you are at dinner, your bed is turned down, side lamps lit and any towels etc. changed. This on top of the usual morning visit. With regards to bedrooms if possible opt for one with a harbour view and balcony. These rooms are very large with easy chairs and tables etc. with the most stunning views of the harbour and across to the islands of Herm and Sark. A twenty minute ferry ride will take you to the car free tiny Island of Herm.....an absolute paradise. A WORD OF WARNING regarding harbour view rooms. I understand the previous owner of the hotel allowed the building of a new office block on land on the harbour side of the hotel. Through no fault of his or indeed the present owners....it seems some sort of action is being taken..., the black roof of the new building is level with and almost touching, the balcony of rooms 118,119 and 120 and extends outwards for about 14 ft and this can spoil the view. Indeed in room 118 the lift shaft top rises up about 2 ft. above the balcony floor and I feel sure would prove very disappointing-particularly as you pay a considerable amount extra for balcony rooms on this side of the hotel. I repeat this is no fault of the hotels but I would suggest you make it clear on booking you require rooms on the next level.The smaller bedrooms overlooking the gardens, with a partial sea view ,are also a delight .As with any hotel, rooms from time to time need decorating, and this hotel has a policy of causing minimum disruption to guests.
A hotel then for the connoisseur of good taste and old fashioned courtesy. It is ABSOLUTELY SPLENDID

• Liked — It's absolutely first class approach to standards and customer comfort
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeicesterActor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
South Western England
Reviewed 24 June 2008

We arrived at the Old Government House Hotel in St. Peter Port Guernsey in mid June 2008 for a few days break having traveled in from the UK mainland.

During our break we eat in the hotel a couple of times, food presentation was good, only problem being that as a result of the food my partner became seriously ill with Salmonella poisoning.

We contacted the authorities on Guernsey and were informed that they are investigating an out break centered on the Old Government House Hotel involving 25 guests and staff being ill.

I am absolutely shocked and horrified that this has happened to us.

The link above relates to the cases of Salmonella in Guernsey and the investigation into events at Old Government House Hotel.

Once I have heard more about the investigation I will up date this report.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Getting food poisoning and becoming very ill.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank NCS_SUPPORT
London
Reviewed 22 February 2008

This hotel sits within the maze of narrow streets on a hill near to the quay in St Peter Port. It’s a picturesque location. The outside of the building is really attractive and it is clearly steeped in history.

Finding the place was tough as many streets are tiny, the one way system is confusing and a key road was temporarily closed.

Inside, the décor of the place is a flowery kind of English “high tea” style. It’s a bit fussy and twee (some might call this cute) in places and although not entirely to my taste it is generally in reasonable order. The building does retain some of the more historic architectural features which adds character.

Our room was warm and comfortable and had a fantastic view over St Peter Port but was a little tacky in design.

So in certain respects the place was a little disappointing. However, we ate in the restaurant on the first night and found the food truly superb. The waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, and recommended some excellent matching wines. We were so impressed we ate there again having this time the degustation menu (ie 7 smallish courses with different wines to compliment the food). The quality was very high and we were again really impressed. A minor comment from us brought out the chef to apologise who clearly took his art very seriously – we didn’t feel this was necessary but really demonstrates the focus on quality.

Added to this we were met by the Director of Guest Services a charming man from Mauritius. His attention to detail and desire to make sure our stay was successful was exceptional.

Overall we’d strongly recommend this place and certainly intend to return maybe when the weather is better from the winter storm we saw.

• Liked — Service and food
  • Disliked — Decor a bit twee
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kapitanwalker
London
Reviewed 9 January 2008

Stayed here for 1 week on a corporate rate, but it was still quite expensive. However, it is a decent hotel, one of the best on the island, and I had a pleasant stay.

The hotel building itself is nice and very central, rooms were reasonable (although mine was a little small), service at breakfast could be improved but the food was of a decent standard. I never used the restaurant as there are plenty of other options near by.

Thus, if you are happy with the quoted rates, there is no reason not to stay here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price, and service can be patchy
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
Wiltshire
Reviewed 4 January 2008

My wife and I spent New year at the OGH and thoroughly enjoyed it. The standard of service throughout was first rate, friendly and efficient, but not intrusive. The public rooms are beautiful and create just the right atmosphere - classically elegant. The breakfast is exceptionally good (the New Year's day 'brunch' was extraordinary - sadly hardly anyone took full advantage).
It is not the cheapest hotel, but with free use of a very nice gym and spa (we had it to ourselves for almost all of two afternoons) it seemed reasonably priced. I guess my only 'complaint' would be that the room was rather ordinary (though with a very nice bathroom), but that is only because everything else is so good. We certainly plan to return.

• Liked — The attitude of the staff
  • Disliked — The room was a little small - but perfectly adequate for a short break
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 14 September 2007

First impressions of this old hotel were good with reception area nice in an olde world kind of way but my room - oh dear not good. Very tired and well past its sell by date. I complained about it (took a tip from another review) and they offered to move me to a better room. Why didn't they do this anyway if they had rooms left !

When I said this I was told "most don't complain" - suppose they just dont come back.

The food was not good - a grand setting but no other guests around, should have realised I suppose.

I dont usually stay at this hotel when going to Guernsey on business but my other choice was full - I cant say I will rush back.

• Liked — Reception area
  • Disliked — Grotty Room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank jo_black58
Bath UK
Reviewed 1 September 2007

This is a well set up hotel but I found it very pricey. The room I had was great ,but cost £160 for B&B .I had assumed it included dinner but it didn't & they even charged me for my newspaper, which I found extraordinary!
The staff are well trained & the place well set up,so I have no problems with that. However I ate in the Brasserie & found it very disappointing.
The food was boring, I had seared salmon which tasted of nothing, then bass supposedly stuffed with crab-the fish tasted of nothing & the "stuffing" was minimal & like glue! Very disappointing. The pudding was much better- but if I stayed again I'd negotiate a better deal & eat elsewhere.The dining room was empty- so people locally obviously know that there is far better food elsewhere as the competition & French influence means you can eat gourmet food elsewhere far better.
I suspect this place is resting on its laurels as the premium hotel on the island, but I stay all over the world & found this lacking in real quality.

• Liked — style
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#4 of 19 in St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel

Been to The Old Government House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!