“Nice hotel - very small bedroom”

The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Guernsey
“Nice hotel - very small bedroom”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel is very central but I feel for the price you should get slightly larger rooms. The bedroom (Room 202) was very small as was the bathroom. When you spend these kind of prices you are paying because you are planning to spent time in your room and use its facilities. To use the kettle you had to fill it from the bath and then find room on the table as it was kept in the wardrobe. Also the television signal was not good at all.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was great. The spa was fully booked on the day we visited which was a shame but our own fault for not booking before arrival.

I just feel that for a 5 star hotel and the prices that they charge the bedrooms need to be bigger I am afraid.

Room Tip: Ask for a good sized bedroom? I don't know if you can do that but ask to change if not satisfied...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at OGH for 3 nights from 15th February. We were really impressed with the advance notification form we were asked to complete so we could make special requests and insodoing advised of an early arrival with the result that our room being available on arrival (as well as the flowers and champagne I had requested). We booked a suite for a few days of luxury and the room did not disappoint. Staff on arrival were really helpful and welcoming, and this was a common theme for our 4 days at the hotel; nothing was too much trouble. We ate in the Brasserie on the first night and had a wonderful meal, followed by a fantastic curry in The Curry Room. We were the only couple eating in the curry room that night and the waiter gave us an excellent personal "butler" service, happy to chat and also advise on the wine flight my wife opted for. We ate out on Tuesday night and the hotel were happy to give us the benefit of their advice, and we closed off our few days away with a lovely afternoon tea at the hotel. We made use of the gym and spa and if we had a niggle it was that the steam room was closed and the gym was quite busy with (I suspect) local members. This didn't in anyway detract from our break and we would thoroughly recomend the OGH for a short (or longer) break on a lovely quiet island where we walked and walked and walked enjoying the peace and quite, wonderful scenary and the chance to get away from the normal busy-ness of life. Thank you so much

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wilksholidayers
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Myself and my wife got married last year and we chose the OGH for the reception. What can i say the Hotel is fantastic and the staff even more so. We were looked after during the build up by Sam who was the events manager and she did a fantastic job of making us feel welcome and catering for our every need. The hotel is beautiful and when we arrived in the afternoon the sun was shining and everything was laid out as we had planned the staff were all top notch and nobody was left waiting for drinks or food. On the day Harry took us through the proceedings and he did an excellent job and really made the occasion a special one. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough and would strongly recommend to anyone visiting Guernsey its location is perfect and the rooms are stunning. Defiantly the best hotel in Guernsey without a doubt

Room Tip: The suits that overlook the islands are breathtaking, well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScottLePage
St Helier
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

When visiting Guernsey for the weekend my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a little luxury. We were not disappointed.
We were on an early flight and arrived at The OGH 5hours before our check in time with hope that we could leave our bags and go and explore. We had a warm greeting and was told our room was already ready. We were then asked if we would like to upgrade for an extra £50, which we did. We were offered complimentary breakfast while our new room was made ready.
Our room was plush, if on the small side which made us wonder what the lesser room would have been like. But, as with older buildings the room size was to be expected. Everything about the room was of a high standard from the cushioned walks, gigantic bed and super thick towels and robes. The bathroom was stocked up with quality toiletries too. I was a little disappointed that there was no fridge but reception did send up chilled water on request. The tea/coffee section was fully loaded with filtered coffee and cafeteria, hot chocolate and yummy biscuits.
The concierge was extremely helpful and very professional as were all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble. I can not commend them more than saying it was impeccable service.
Drinks in the bar where reasonably priced and were served with an selection of complementary nibbles.
On returning too our room late in the evening, it had been refreshed and little chocolate biscuits and a little note wishing us a pleasant sleep.
We were offered a later check out of 12 noon we we accepted and made appointments at the spa to indulge in some very beautiful treatments. I admit, I did actually fall asleep during the full body massage!
Again, the concierge explained there was no rush for our room and we could freshen up, keeping our room after our spa treatment.
Later in the afternoon after a wonder around the very empty St Peter Port on a Sunday (be advised to make plans during the winter as everything is closed) we decided to take coffee in the hotel lounge. We were still full from the amazing breakfast (decorated with fresh flowers) in our room or we would have ordered the delectable afternoon teas that were being served. These are open to non residents too.
We did decide to go to the best hotel in Guernsey and got the best service possible in decadent surroundings.
Fine, our room was expensive but if you throw in the fact that we were not charged for either the early check in or late check out and complimentary breakfast on arrival (£15.95 pp to non residents) the difference you would pay in a lesser hotel is not much.
We were even given homemade flapjacks for our journey home.
You get what you pay for and with the OGH you get that little bit more.
We will be visiting the OGH again, as will you if you ever have the pleasure of staying there yourselves.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leisha H
London
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at the old government house for one night while on a job in Guernsey. Guernsey looks great and although I arrived at dusk, I've marked it out for a longer visit to see more.

The hotel is in the centre of St. Peter Port - excellently placed. A first class welcome from a charming receptionist who made the arrival special. Less so from the porter Stewart who was asked to show me to my room. He took me to the lift and then gave me instructions, which turned out to be had to follow as the second floor is a bit of a warren.

My room, 215, a queen superior was luxuriously appointed, if a little on the compact side. A bit fussy for me, but not doubting a very comfortable and high bed, great well stocked tea tray and two easy chairs.

I didn't bring a cat, but had I done so I would have had a problem swinging it in the very compact bathroom. Great toiletries from L'occitane, but no where near the sink to unpack ones own sponge bag, and a shower that was a tight fit to get out of. No space to stand and dry oneself either.

Excellent service. A call from reception twenty minutes after check in to see if everythign was alright in my room brought a staff member with a wireless router as the interested signal in the room was not good.

First class breakfast, and a nice evening meal in the brasseries.

It's ceryaunky not cheap and at that price I could have done with more space, but no denying the service levels and quality of the place. First class

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank claytoncast
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to this little gem of a hotel and we were not disappointed. See our previous review from two years ago. Very quaint, like stepping back in time, in a good way. From sumptuous afternoon teas, to a great bar service and the best lamb curry I have had and customer service second to none . Any request will be catered for with a smile. Great position too for little walks into town. Do not be put off by the minority of bad reviews, this is a lovely charming little hotel, you will not be disappointed .

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hoopers070
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel in January 2014. The room was very small, the desk was to small to be used for working, and the various lights of the phone, bathroom and fire alarm made an extravaguant light show at night... The bathroom was not heated and therefore super cold in January. While the staff was friendly, i cannot rate this hotel above the average for a five star (and five star pricing). The breakfast was also disappointing, and the wine served at the bar were also not "five-star" standard. On top of it, my magnetic room key didnt work on day two, apparently being erased by my phone. i cannot recommend this hotel and wont return.

Room Tip: maybe a room with view would have enhanced my stay
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins
Best Western Moores Central Hotel

Been to The Old Government House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!