“Austrian influence - Great light snacks”
Review of The Hideaway

The Hideaway
Ranked #34 of 133 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Finished up here as we were late looking for somewhere to eat for lunch (14.30). The Austrian influence of the manageress is clear in the menu choices which include "Spätzle", Strudel, "Speck" and Sachertorte and the Portugese Chef makes a very good job of interpreting these dishes. I ordered the "Boxty Pancakes with Smoked Salmon and Prawns" although I have to admit to never having heard of these before. It turned out that they were very much "Rösti" very light and not at all greasy and it well suited my wanting a light tasty snack. OK, the side salad had too much sweet pepper & cucumber in for me, but that's down to my personal problems of eating such raw, but all in all, very good. I then finished off with Mövenpick Walnut & Maple Ice Cream. Not exactly a light bite but I just love this ice cream and it was a very hot day. My wife chose the warm goat's cheese salad and then sorbet for afters. Really good.
A great place to sit outside and relax and enjoy good food.

As an aside, I'm not too sure what Trevor M's problem was with Guernsey's "own pound" as it's just the fact that their pound has a different picture on it to the British one. They're both the same value, they accept British Pounds and shops and restaurants will ask you if you want British or local change. I therefore don't quite understand why he felt it necessary to pay by debit card. I'm also surprised they accepted it for such a low amount as some countries I've been in don't accept them below €50,--.

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Well worth seeking out for service and indoor or patio searing options.

Minor downside...
Because Guernsey use their own 'pound' we needed to pay by debit card. However, we were charged a 50p 'surcharge', because the bill was below £10. Accepted of course, but this not good business practice, hence mentioned here.

1  Thank Trevor M
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I have been to The Hideaway a handful of times, normally outside on a sunny day with a glass of wine. But on this occasion I met a friend for lunch and we sat inside. The acoustics were awful to the point we could not hear each other talk, the waiting staff were tipping cutlery out on the surface and generally making a right old clatter. We both ordered a salad, Ceaser and Waldorf. Very poor attempt at a fresh salad and both were missing the main ingredients of what made them what they were. If I go again I will stick to a glass of chilled wone and a small 'bucket' of fries as you can't go wrong with this!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Not quite as hidden as its name suggests, although it's off the main drag. Some of the nicest cakes in town make it a great stop for afternoon tea; we were sorry we couldn't go back and try their signature Strudel as the place closed for Easter.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Always a warm welcome and the place where we go when we get off the boat or plane for that matter of fact! Burner wurstell is delicious and Annie is lovely. Perfect for ought lunch on the terrace