“Guernsey, again!”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Europe
“Guernsey, again!”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just back from another visit to Guernsey for a family wedding and again stayed at De Havelet. This time I was with other family members and we had three double bedrooms. As on my previous visit the staff very friendly and helpful and arranged for gluten free bread/toast for my breakfast. The hotel also arranged car hire via Hertz and as promised the car was waiting for collection at the airport. An excellent buffet breakfast is served together with a choice of items for those wanting a cooked meal. We had booked three double rooms and while 2 of them had heating problems, this matter was attended to immediately and there were no problems. The only negative thing was a quick lunch we had in the Bar & Restaurant. Perhaps we made a bad choice, but the buffet lunch was very disappointing. We should perhaps have eaten at the Wellington Boot restaurant which served an excellent lunch on my last visit. The pool area is clean and warm and we all enjoyed an afternoon there either in the pool, steam room, sauna or jacuzzi.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank eangelm
BEST WESTERN D, Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor I have passed your kind comments on to the staff and I am glad to hear that your heating problems were attended efficiently. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your bar lunch in our saddle bar, I have taken on board your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet.
Gennaro Festivo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Sussex. England
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Hi.

We have visited and stayed in Guernsey a few times. Based on the good reviews that this hotel gets on tripadvisor we decided to give this hotel a try for the first time. We stayed in this hotel over the Easter weekend (Friday and Saturday night) on a B&B basis and have to say that we were a little disappointed.

To start with when we booked we were not made aware of the very steep hill climb to get to the hotel although I understand now that they do run a minibus from the hotel to the bus terminal. The hill climb did not worry us but I can see it might be a problem for other guests.
The room, number 20, was called a superior room. It was a good size, clean, comfortable but in need of some basic refurbishment. Some of the wallpaper was starting to peel of the walls and some paint was coming off the radiators in the room and bathroom in places. Our main complaint was the noise that was made by people walking around the room above ours and talking. This was especially bad at 5am in the morning. Also, the noise of the plumbing which we found very annoying again early in the morning.
The food. On the first morning that we had breakfast it seemed to be disorganised in the restaurant also the service seemed slow. We heard one guest complaining that he had been waiting 25minutes for his breakfast. The second morning that we had breakfast seemed to be more organised. We eat at the hotel on one evening in the Grill Room. The food was Ok but nothing special.
Overall The Hotel De Havelet was ok and the staff were good but I find it difficult to see how it comes Number 2 of hotels in Guernsey and listed higher than "The Old Government House Hotel" and "The Fermain Valley Hotel".

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tony M
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet. I am sorry to hear that you were a little disappointed, please be assured that your feedback is important to us. I do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to show the quality and service which we are known for.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was our third visit to the hotel and it certainly won't be our last. Since our last visit there has obviously been a lot of money spent in redecorating the dining room, which has a fresh, new appearance. As usual, the room was of an excellent standard and spotlessly clean.

The best assets of the hotel have to be the excellent, friendly staff for whom nothing is too much trouble and the excellent food that is served in the restaurant. Another reviewer commented on how the staff remember guests from year to year and we have definitely found this to be the case.

A nice touch at Christmas was the Christmas card we received from the hotel which was signed by many members of the staff.

1 Thank Brixham23
BEST WESTERN D, Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor, I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay once again with us. I have passed your kind comments on to the team, and I appreciate your nice comments about the refurbishment too and look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future.

Cornwall
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Lovely old manor house full of charm with quality and tranquil lounge areas for sitting and reading. Great views from the breakfast/dining room over Castle Cornet with an excellent selection of breakfast items, good coffee and attentive staff. We did not eat in the restaurant but the menu looked very tempting. Although it is definitely a sharp pull back up the hill from a 10 minute walk into the town this should not give you any problems unless you are not very fit.Friendly and helpful staff. Indoor pool nice but a little on the small side and the changing areas very small. Otherwise a lovely stay and a very comfortable bed in a quiet area. It was a pity there was scaffolding up whilst we there which spoiled the view somewhat but we had been informed on our invoice but hadn't noticed.

Room Tip: At the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, as you mention in your review I am happy to announce that the maintenance work has been completed and that the scaffolding is coming down this week and as for the steep hill we do run a shuttle bus from April to October to and from the hotel. I have passed your kind comments onto all the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Kind regards

Bisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I had not been back to the De Havelet for a while as my business trips had taken a break. On returning I was very pleased to see the hotel was towards the end of a very nice refresh. Rooms were brigher and more modern - both bedrooms and the public spaces. Still better, the staff were still great - and they remembered me as if my last trip were just a few weeks back. If you want a friendly, comfortable, relaxing hotel with good food, great staff, fantastic views - and without paying a fortune - then this is a place you must really visit. I will certainlt be back as soon as I can.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am pleased to read that you have experienced an improvement and I am sure that the staff will be very happy to hear this as we always strive to improve our guest’s experiences. I look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future

UK
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Lovely place to stay. I nice old building (unfortunately covered by scaffolding when we where there), nice rooms, good food. What really made the place special, however, was the staff who were extremely friendly and helpful. Really made us feel at home.

One word of warning - the views from the hotel are stunning but the price you pay for this is that the walk to the hotel from the town is up a very steep hill. This wasn't an issue for us but the less mobile might be better off looking for somewhere more central.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and felt at home, as you have mention in your review I am pleased to announce that the maintenance work has been completed and that the scaffolding will be coming down beginning this week and as for the steep hill we do run a shuttle bus from April to October to and from the hotel. I have passed your kind comments onto the all the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Kind regards

southampton
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Chose this hotel through Trip Advisor for our first visit to Guernsey. It did not disappoint.Had a standard room for 3 nights. Food options were excellent. The staff extremely helpful and friendly and the facilities very good, including the indoor pool.The weather was also excellent, but had it not been, relaxing at the hotel would be very comfortable. We did not have a car, so walked up and down to the harbour and used the buses. Next time would hire a car to see all the lovely small bays nearby, but there are cliff walks nearby if you do not wish to drive.
Would recommend this hotel to friends etc and would stay again.Note there are 2 routes to walk from the harbour up to the hotel, choose the gentler one!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, I am glad to hear that we were your first choice of hotel on your first visit to the island. I have passed your comments on to the staff and happy to hear that you will recommend us and will be looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#4 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Best Western Hotel De Havelet? Share your experiences!