“The food and service was great”

Best Western Hotel De Havelet
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Oxford, United Kingdom
“The food and service was great”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel has 3 great restaurant options for meals and they are all very high quality. The staff are so nice it is lovely to walk in and have a bar meal after a busy day exploring Herm, Sark or Guernsey. If like us you want a bit more fancy for your wedding anniversary they have that covered the food and great cocktails are just what we wanted.
The pool and jacuzzi are great we used it at the end of our day before dinner so relaxing and such a nice area.
The hotel is very clean in all areas and our soom was great.
The location is up a hill that took me 7 minutes to walk up but I am not fit and use a stick to walk but as the holiday went by it got easier to get up. If you just can't face it a taxi is about £5.00 from the town center & they also have a hotel bus that runs a few times a day apart from Sunday. We had the best 6 nights and I would go there again anytime it was lovely.

Room Tip: Room 9 is great large & very quiet also near the pool perfect.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed the food and facilities which we provide. I have passed your kind comments unto the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future.

Gennaro Festivo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I have just stayed at the De Havelet for four nights on a half board basis. It is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in for a long time. The service and attention to detail could not be faulted. Breakfast and Dinner were excellent, not only the quality and variety of the food but also the excellent service.
The Hotel is in a very nice location and is very well maintained.
Overall this was a most enjoyable trip thanks to the de Havelet.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially the food and service in our restaurant. I have passed your kind comments onto the staff I look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future

Bridgwater Somerset
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Wow! My first stay at this hotel and it was very good indeed. My room was overlooking the pond & fountains just across from the Pool area which was impressive. The room was spacious and the en-suite very good, all staff very attentive and helpful. The walk down the hill to the waterfront is around 10 minutes and if you like to keep fit the challenge of walking back up certainly dosn't disappoint!
So all in all - very good and yes i'll be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave C
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip advisor, I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your first stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the staff and I will be looking forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the near future.

Europe
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just back from another visit to Guernsey for a family wedding and again stayed at De Havelet. This time I was with other family members and we had three double bedrooms. As on my previous visit the staff very friendly and helpful and arranged for gluten free bread/toast for my breakfast. The hotel also arranged car hire via Hertz and as promised the car was waiting for collection at the airport. An excellent buffet breakfast is served together with a choice of items for those wanting a cooked meal. We had booked three double rooms and while 2 of them had heating problems, this matter was attended to immediately and there were no problems. The only negative thing was a quick lunch we had in the Bar & Restaurant. Perhaps we made a bad choice, but the buffet lunch was very disappointing. We should perhaps have eaten at the Wellington Boot restaurant which served an excellent lunch on my last visit. The pool area is clean and warm and we all enjoyed an afternoon there either in the pool, steam room, sauna or jacuzzi.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank eangelm
BEST WESTERN D, Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor I have passed your kind comments on to the staff and I am glad to hear that your heating problems were attended efficiently. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your bar lunch in our saddle bar, I have taken on board your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet.
Sussex. England
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Hi.

We have visited and stayed in Guernsey a few times. Based on the good reviews that this hotel gets on tripadvisor we decided to give this hotel a try for the first time. We stayed in this hotel over the Easter weekend (Friday and Saturday night) on a B&B basis and have to say that we were a little disappointed.

To start with when we booked we were not made aware of the very steep hill climb to get to the hotel although I understand now that they do run a minibus from the hotel to the bus terminal. The hill climb did not worry us but I can see it might be a problem for other guests.
The room, number 20, was called a superior room. It was a good size, clean, comfortable but in need of some basic refurbishment. Some of the wallpaper was starting to peel of the walls and some paint was coming off the radiators in the room and bathroom in places. Our main complaint was the noise that was made by people walking around the room above ours and talking. This was especially bad at 5am in the morning. Also, the noise of the plumbing which we found very annoying again early in the morning.
The food. On the first morning that we had breakfast it seemed to be disorganised in the restaurant also the service seemed slow. We heard one guest complaining that he had been waiting 25minutes for his breakfast. The second morning that we had breakfast seemed to be more organised. We eat at the hotel on one evening in the Grill Room. The food was Ok but nothing special.
Overall The Hotel De Havelet was ok and the staff were good but I find it difficult to see how it comes Number 2 of hotels in Guernsey and listed higher than "The Old Government House Hotel" and "The Fermain Valley Hotel".

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tony M
Thank you for reviewing your stay at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet. I am sorry to hear that you were a little disappointed, please be assured that your feedback is important to us. I do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to show the quality and service which we are known for.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was our third visit to the hotel and it certainly won't be our last. Since our last visit there has obviously been a lot of money spent in redecorating the dining room, which has a fresh, new appearance. As usual, the room was of an excellent standard and spotlessly clean.

The best assets of the hotel have to be the excellent, friendly staff for whom nothing is too much trouble and the excellent food that is served in the restaurant. Another reviewer commented on how the staff remember guests from year to year and we have definitely found this to be the case.

A nice touch at Christmas was the Christmas card we received from the hotel which was signed by many members of the staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brixham23
BEST WESTERN D, Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor, I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay once again with us. I have passed your kind comments on to the team, and I appreciate your nice comments about the refurbishment too and look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future.

Cornwall
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Lovely old manor house full of charm with quality and tranquil lounge areas for sitting and reading. Great views from the breakfast/dining room over Castle Cornet with an excellent selection of breakfast items, good coffee and attentive staff. We did not eat in the restaurant but the menu looked very tempting. Although it is definitely a sharp pull back up the hill from a 10 minute walk into the town this should not give you any problems unless you are not very fit.Friendly and helpful staff. Indoor pool nice but a little on the small side and the changing areas very small. Otherwise a lovely stay and a very comfortable bed in a quiet area. It was a pity there was scaffolding up whilst we there which spoiled the view somewhat but we had been informed on our invoice but hadn't noticed.

Room Tip: At the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, as you mention in your review I am happy to announce that the maintenance work has been completed and that the scaffolding is coming down this week and as for the steep hill we do run a shuttle bus from April to October to and from the hotel. I have passed your kind comments onto all the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Kind regards

#5 of 19 in St Peter Port
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#4 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Best Western Hotel De Havelet? Share your experiences!