“Good hotel with great staff”

Best Western Hotel De Havelet
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good hotel with great staff”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights between Christmas and New Year. Lovely room with very comfortable beds. Good breakfast, but as a vegetarian I found the menu for evening meals very limited - it would be good to have more variety. My daughter was ill the day we left and as our flight didn't leave until the evening the manager let us stay in our room as long as we needed it - this was much appreciated.
All in all I'd recommend this hotel which also has great views across the bay as an extra asset!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Jenni R
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 13 January 2013
Dear Jenni R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. There’s no need to mention the late checkout, it was my pleasure and we always try to be flexible if at all possible. I am happy to hear you liked the room and found the beds to be comfortable.

I am sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy our Vegetarian Menu, we do only put 1 choice on the residents menu every evening, but then try to be flexible should that not be to our guests liking, by offering an alternative from our Vegetarian menu at no extra charge. I do sincerely apologise if this wasn’t offered to you, I do hope that it didn’t dissuade you from coming to us again.

I do hope to see you again in the future.

Gennaro Festivo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 20 December 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a stay at Hotel De Havelet earlier this year, we were surprised to receive a Christmas Card signed personally by all the staff for the Hotel yesterday.

Thank you De Havelet a very nice touch and one which we've never had from Hotels in which we've stayed previously.

Happ Christmas to you all and see you again one day.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SteveBStoke
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
Dear SteveBStoke,

Thank you very much for your review and kind comments. I am delighted that you liked the Christmas Card, it is something we have been doing for many years now and it’s always great to hear that it’s well received. We all look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again wish you a merry Christmas and the very best of luck in 2013, from everyone at the hotel.

Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at the De Havelet. We arrived in the dark, when it was raining heavily and walked into the old house (other parts being renovated). We were greeted by a lovely Yorkshire man who seemed to know when we would be arriving. We sat in two chairs and were booked in very efficiently and in a very friendly manner. We were shown to our room and I asked to be moved as there was no view. We were instantly shown to two other rooms (the front of the house had the best view - room 27) but decided to keep our room as it was so cosy anyway. It was quite old fashioned with sheets and blankets but it was immaculately clean. I have stayed in four and five star hotels and have never seen such a clean bathroom. The ensuite bathroom was very modern with a shower over the bath. Every time I needed anything it was dealt with immediately by reception eg a pair of scissors, some mint tea etc. There was a mini fridge in the room also an iron and hairdryer. They had provided a lovely box filled with tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits and chocolate mints. This was refilled every day when the room was cleaned. We ate in the Welliington Boot restaurant and in the Saddle bar and other room adjoining. The restaurant was quite dear but the food was excellent and the view of the harbour was amazing. Breakfast is also served in here and is excellent value. The grill and afternoon teas are superb and any requests we had were dealt with politely at once e.g sitting away from a draught or us eating from different priced menus. The pool area is small but clean. The one problem I had was that it was unattended and asked you not to swim alone. I was alone after about 10 minutes so had to leave earlier than I wished but it was December! The walk down the hill is steep but it only took me 15 minutes to reach the town centre and the walk along the sea front was worth it. In conclusion, this hotel is worth a visit due to its friendly, professional staff, (*even the cleaners said good morning!) great views and good, fresh food.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the old house and on the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your kind comments about our staff. I am happy to read that you also enjoyed the facilities provided in the hotel and the food served in the restaurants and bar. I shall pass on your kind comments on the man from Yorkshire (Sam) and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Kind regards

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Have stayed at Hotel de Havelet 3 years running. All the staff are very helpful, cheerful and make your stay special. The rooms are comfortable, have flat screen tv and tea making facilities.
The cleaning staff leave the rooms immaculate every morning.The food is superb and you can eat in the bar or there are two restaurants. The hotel has an old fashioned charm. The inside pool and sauna area is lovely and clean and the water is not too chlorinated. Hotel is near St Peter Port and during high season a free shuttle bus will take you into town.
The only snag is lack of a lift from ground floor up to the dining room. The steps are quite steep and have watched people struggling. I'm sure a custom built lift could be installed in the space in the spiral stair case. So how about it I know it would help many guests?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear Fay W,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. As a regular guest I am happy that you took the time to write a review. I will pass your kind comments on to all the staff. We are aware of the limitations on access and it is an area that we are looking. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely hope to see you again in the future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Stay for 7 nighst on business. pool very good and staff helpful, nice walk into town from the hotel.
Views excellent
Grill lovely steaks and trimming really nice.
Showers very good and the hotel was very clean

Room Tip: Room below stairs noise of staff moving around on the stairs
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for your review on trip advisor. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel and restaurants very good overall. I have passed your comments onto all the staff, and looking forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future.

Kind regards

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights in mid-November, it was our first visit to the island and the hotel made our stay quite pleasant and comfortable. The pool area is very nice and we utilized it and the Jacuzzi each day. The staff were very friendly and even helped us late-night when the internet seemed to stop working on our computer. We ate at the Wellington Boot one day for lunch and the service was fantastic. There is a very charismatic gentleman who manages the restaurant that made our lunch perfect for us. The location was very good for us, it is a bit high on the hill above St Peter Port so make sure you have your walking shoes. We rented a car and the parking was plentiful down at the port so we didnt have any trouble dressing up and going out. Will definitely stay here again if we ever find ourselves in Guernsey!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 24 November 2012
Dear Druryk,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. As first time visitors to our hotel and Guernsey, I am glad that we helped leave an impression that will hopefully bring you both back in the future. We do try and make the pool and spa a very relaxing place to unwind. I am happy that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us and I will pass your kind comments on to our Restaurant Manager. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely hope to see you again in the future.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

I recently spent 3 nights at this lovely hotel and came away feeling that I had been indulged. The service is excellent; not only is it efficient but is also very friendly.
It was lovely to start the evening in the small bar attached to the restaurant where we could look at the menu and order our meal from a 4 course set menu. This was delicious and varied and different every night. You need to plan to work off the calories!
The spacious double room overlooked the bay and the courtyard, which was a treat in the mornings. I slept well in a very comfortable bed with a choice of pillow types. There was a range of teas, coffee and hot chocolate in the rooms along with a store of mint chocolates!
This was a wonderful stay in a great hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor about our hotel. Your kind comments are much appreciated and we are delighted that you found our hotel to be accommodating and very good overall. I have passed your kind comments onto the staff and I look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the near future.

Kind Regards

#6 of 19 in St Peter Port
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#4 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Best Western Hotel De Havelet? Share your experiences!