“A great place to stay either for work or a relaxing break”

Best Western Hotel De Havelet
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Have stayed here whilst working and also had a winter break this year and this hotel consistantly comes up trumps. At the top of a small hill, when you arrive the views are oustanding over part of the port in St Peter Port. All hotel staff are friendly and welcoming, even the Manager will come and say hello in the morning or evening and ask if everything is ok. Nothing seems to-much trouble, and if there is something not on the menu in the resturant, and you woulld like it, (as i did), they will prepare it for you. Also the resturant staff are second to none, attentive but not intrusive, and in the Welly Boot resturant you can sit there all night enjoying not only some of the finest food in Guernsey but the magnificent view of the harbour. Even breakfast there's a feast, with so many choices and again those delightful views in which to take a long leisurely breakfast. There is also a grill and Bar to eat in. It's a clean comfortable hotel, with bedrooms that are a decent size and the leisure suite is not bad too.

Room Tip: groundfloor courtyard rooms are nearer to the Spa/Pool
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear 660 Lindy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am happy to read how much you have enjoyed the food in our restaurant and facilities provide in the hotel and I shall pass on your kind comments onto staff and I look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We booked this place pretty much by chance as part of a package deal and realised once we'd got there that we'd really picked a winner. There's a bit of a steep hill to get up to reach it, but the trade off there is for a great view from the restaurants over the harbour and castle, and it's still well suited for easy access to town. The staff are friendly and full of character, the rooms are a decent size and comfortable, and the food - in the bar, the grill room, or for breakfast - excellent. (We didn't try the upstairs restaurant but I can't imagine it's any less good).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your comments onto the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at the De Havelet for four days in early March and couldn't have been happier. We will undoubtedly return whenever we visit Guernsey again in the future.

The room that we had was very comfortable being next to an internal courtyard. Excellent bed, very good bathroom, plenty of storage and room to sit and relax. The bar/restaurant was very good with drinks at pub prices and very good food available either as a full meal or bar snacks, whichever you preferred. Breakfast was really very good indeed with a healthy selection of juices, fruit, cold meats, cheeses, cereals etc. In addition a complete range of hot food, all cooked to order, was available. The restaurant also did a complete a la carte/table d'hote selection in the evenings although we never tried these.

the building and sitting rooms is very impressive and the port is readily accessible by foot as are a number of pleasant walks.

What really makes this hotel stand out, however, is the staff. without exception they were helpful, cheerful and constantly friendly - keen to ensure that your stay, not just at the hotel but in the whole island, was as pleasurable as possible. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and every request or inquiry was dealt with with grace and a smile. I know that it is an oft-repeated cliche but it really did have the fell of a home from home.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We liked the courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Alf,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet. I am happy to hear how much you have anjoyed your stay with us, the food served and the facilities in the hotel. I shall pass on your kind comments onto the staff and look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing place to stay in a Georgian building with great views over the port and castle and a huge selection of products for breakfast, this is your hotel.
The staff at reception is extremely helpful and shows a great knowledge of the island.
The waiters at breakfast are very friendly and attentive and the service is very quick.
Our room was a standard one with a super king size bed. Everything was very clean with the heating easy to adjust. The swimming pool area is very relaxing with a sauna, jakuzzi and a steam room and has a kind of conservatory with deck chairs where you can lie down.
You also have internet free and a nice bar and 2 restaurants.

Room Tip: ASk for a room with sea views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed all the facilities at our hotel and I have passed your kind comments onto all the staff.
We sincerely hope to welcome you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the near future.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Once again a fantastic stay for my daughters , staff exceptional , nothing was too much trouble for them , , daughters loved this hotel and this beautiful island , amazing views from hotel , great food in bar and restaurant .
they cant wait to come back

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hermitage_9
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Dear hermitage_9,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay. I am happy to read that your daughters enjoyed their stay and thank you for your kind comments about our food in the bar and restaurants.

We sincerely hope to see your daughters in BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I have stayed here on average once a month on business over the past 18 months.
I have had no complaints whatsoever about the hotel.
They strive to accommodate all requests.
The staff are friendly and welcoming whilst at the same remaining totally professional.
The food is outstanding and the atmosphere in the bar is totally relaxing so much so it is like a home from home.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on business or for a holiday.

Room Tip: any room is good.

Dear Daniel S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stays with us here at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet.

I am happy to read that you find our bar relaxing and enjoy the food and atmosphere.

We look forwarding to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

When Moores re-arranged my stay at the 11th hour to the HDH my OCD was twitching somewhat, having lived for a time in Guernsey and never having come across it, I was a touch apprehensive. And having ascended heartbreak hill as it shall be called (those with weak hearts beware) in the rain, I did have my doubts. And then I met Sam on the front desk......and that was that. So down to business. this isn't the Ritz, it is a Hotel that has some staid parts, albeit that adds to the charm, and it is very slightly off the beaten track....HOWEVER it is comfortable, has stunning views over the castle and is set away from the road so is pin drop quiet and a cracking nights sleep. The things that set it apart and are worth a full 5 stars - service, friendliness and quality of food. The staff at this Hotel cannot do enough for you, smiling, polite, attentive I can't praise them enough - they clearly have worked on a formula, but nothing is too much trouble. And the food is outstanding - if you want a light breakfast have the full omelette I have never ever tasted better - just lovely. The Hotel has loads of areas to sit and relax and I guess in Summer that increases with the outside areas. Set in nice gardens, it really is a good place for a short stay, and if Sam can't cheer you up then you are probably beyond saving. I visit Guernsey every month - I shall be heading back to the HDH. Give it a try.

Dear Mr Shipp,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review on our hotel. I am very happy to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us and the food and facilities provided. I have passed your kind comments onto Sam and the rest of the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
#1 of 9 in St Martins
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins

Been to Best Western Hotel De Havelet? Share your experiences!